Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Urgent help needed with dreadful nappy rash

(22 Posts)
Superchilled Mon 07-Jul-08 20:32:30

PFB DD (4m) suddenly seems to have the most dreadful nappy rash - seems to have come up in a matter of this afternoon and is so red raw that she's crying in pain. Best tips needed in how to clear it up fast (airing bottom, Sudocrem etc?).

Huge guilt involved in not noticing that she was getting it - clearly am really rubbish mother....

WilfSell Mon 07-Jul-08 20:34:30

yes, air bottom as much as you can and maybe bathe with warm water then air dry rather than wipes...

then when you can get to chemists and buy metanium (Sudocrem is just a barrier cream, a thin layer of metanium helps to heal, and you can put a bit of sudocrem over top to keep wetness away too)

don't be guilty, happens to us all.

if it doesn't clear up in couple of days, come back to us, we have Big Guns options as well...

WilfSell Mon 07-Jul-08 20:35:03

Ps, if blotchy looking, and possibly with whitish spots, please get GP to check for thrush also...

Ineedsomesleep Mon 07-Jul-08 20:35:56

Metanium.

rislip Mon 07-Jul-08 20:39:25

Weleda Calendula Nappy cream is very good for this too. Health food stores and Waitrose. Really good.

ilovemydog Mon 07-Jul-08 20:40:03

Poor baby! If she's in that much pain, I really would call NHS Direct. It could be thrush, an infection or she may need a prescription

Of course you aren't a rubbish mum - a rubblish mum wouldn't bother asking for advice! smile

tiredandgrumpy Mon 07-Jul-08 20:44:16

Nothing much to add. Metanium is magic yellow bum cream. I would usually wash well with water - yes, this might sting, but it ensures that the nappy area is really clean. Then make sure bum is nice and cry - give it a few mins air time before smearing on metanium.

I have been amazed at how quickly something like this can clear up. It's horrible, but don't feel bad - sometimes poos are just more acidic than usual and rash can develop in a really short space of time.

BigBadMousey Tue 08-Jul-08 11:24:45

Metanium is fab and works very quickly.

You're definitely not a rubbush mum - these things do appear very quickly - at one change they are fine the next very sore.

Superchilled Tue 08-Jul-08 12:41:20

Thanks guys for all the help and kind words - off to the chemist to buy metanium now!

chrysantheMum Tue 08-Jul-08 12:42:49

aloe vera gel works really well if there is no broken skin.

also if you have nappy liners around soak one in camomile/redbush tea and stick it over the rash - protects from wee/poo and helps to heal smile

Superchilled Wed 09-Jul-08 17:31:19

Metanium rocks! Rash is on the mend and DD is all smiles again, so thanks again for all the advice.

BigBadMousey Wed 09-Jul-08 19:24:57

Glad she's better. I always keep the metanium where I can find it quickly smile

OonaghBhuna Thu 10-Jul-08 23:10:12

metanium is great, but egg white is also pretty good. I think its an old wives thing but I have used it and it does really soothe the rash.

eidsvold Thu 10-Jul-08 23:16:09

another thing you can try - for future reference - is Lucas Paw paw ointment - brilliant.

scroll down - I use the very first product A small tube goes a very long way.

tori32 Thu 10-Jul-08 23:23:36

Not a rubbish mother, just that she may have started teething.
This works for me.
!. If possible let her kick on her change mat minus nappy for 15mins per change at home. Put 4sheets of tesco cheap kitchen roll under her so she doesn't soak her vest grin
2. I use huggies wipes because they are less soggy, but whichever you use, make sure you dry inbetween her cheeks well iyswim.
3. Change aqnd check for wetness every hour.
4.sudocrem every change once bottom is completely dry- if not the cream(whichever you decide on) will seal moisture in and make it worse.
5. If you use sudocrem don't rub it in, use it liberally. Metanium in my experience is difficult to remove so you can end up damaging the skin trying to get it off when it has mixed with poo. i.e. have to rub hard.
6.when in the house take of bottom clothes to reduce layers over nappy,as this means baby is less hot down below.

Klaw Thu 10-Jul-08 23:33:58

I used Sudocreme with ds and bought it in for dd but it didn't work on her skin at all. Metanium did and it is brilliant! So moral is not every product will work the same for every kid.

Make sure that you do not allow poo to come into contact with pee, as when it does it produces ammonia, this is what causes the problems afaic. So I always changed a pooey nappy pretty quick, whereas a wet nappy can stay on a bit longer.

As pp said allow plenty bare bottom time.

And diet can be a major factor in certain poos causing more of a rash than others

Superchilled Fri 11-Jul-08 07:40:29

Nappy rash almost all gone - a combination of two nappy free days (very very messy!), Sudocrem, Metanium and drying with absorbent lint seems to have done the job. Haven't tried the egg white yet, although I'll let you know if it works if I ever run out of metanium!

Thanks again to all you MNetters - I don't really have anyone else to ask and you've all been so supportive and helpful whenever I've had a problem.

xx

Klaw Fri 11-Jul-08 11:07:04

and don't beat yourself up about it!!! It happens to us all and babies heal very quickly.

I'm glad that it's well on the mend for you smile

OonaghBhuna Fri 11-Jul-08 17:59:26

ive used the lucas paw paw stuff aswell, I love it, its good for all sorts of things!

pokerstraight Fri 11-Jul-08 18:03:14

morhulin cream or bepanthen antiseptic cream.

tori32 Sun 13-Jul-08 16:38:10

superchilled, really glad its getting better! smile

donnie Sun 13-Jul-08 16:40:14

metanium.....I heart it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now