Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

funny nappy smell!?

(7 Posts)
magicfairy Sun 06-Jul-08 22:07:17

We use Motherease one size for both kids, 22months and 8 weeks, some are new bought and some have been given to us. The older ones start to smell funny as soon as they get wet, they kinda smell cabbagey! it really is gross and i end up changing them before they are very wet, meaning we get through more than we need to.

I was wondering if this is a common problem and what to do about it?

I dry store them and wash them on a 50 degree cycle in Tesco non bio.#

Any tips would be great, thanks

magicfairy Mon 07-Jul-08 14:00:40

anyone?

BigBadMousey Mon 07-Jul-08 14:37:06

saw this last night but couldn;t reply at the time - thought you'd have had some responses by now!

There are a couple of things you can try - what works for one person doesn't seem to work for another.

Add 1/2 pint WHITE vinegar to your wash

or

Do a one-off wash at 60C in biological powder - you can always do an extra rinse if you are worried about allergies. I think (not sure so check) that MEOS can be washed at more than 60C - the hotter the wash you do the more effect it will have.

Avoid liquid detergents - esp those gel tablets which are a nappy disaster waiting to happen.

Line dry in the sun (Ha! some chance eh?)

NattyEcoWarriorPrincess Mon 07-Jul-08 16:19:22

napisan! soak them in a bucket in a fair amount of napisan and hot water, leave for as long as you can 24 hours minimum, then put them on a 60 deg super wash, with an extra rinse cycle, i use tesco same as you but i put a few drops of lavendar oil into the center of the powder, then hang out (important!) AS SOON AS THE WASH FINISHES.
i have to do this roughly once a month to stop that smell.. i use mother care smart nappies which are micro fibre, i dont know about yours, i havent used them.
thought it might help xx

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 07-Jul-08 16:30:47

I've just finished with nappies after 3.5 years including 2m with 2 bottoms in them. (SOrry!! Just had to brag!! WE ARE NAPPY FREE!!!!! and ds 2 at 2 years and 6 weeks is dry day and night. I am so happy...smile)

Anyway , what was the question?

Occasionally we got smelly nappies. I found its because the manufacturers tell you this myth of only using a teeny amount of detergent. So, although I did not normally use the full scoop full, if the nappies got a bit whiffy when a wash finished, I just bunged em all back in.

If your children are sharing nappies or they're in the same wash then the instructions I got was to wash in 60 to any bugs.
I used bio or non bio depending on which was cheapest and they both wash them the same.

Good dollop of prewash with no powder, main cycle with lots of powder, extra rinsing cycle, another rinsing cycle if needed, and ta-daaaaa lovely fresh non smelly nappies.

I started off using vinegar, soaking in stuff ,and essential oils but all you need is dry pailing, washing powder and water.

By the way Napisan is really bad for nappies, destroys any elastic over time and will deteriorate the fabric.

jojo76 Wed 09-Jul-08 21:00:06

I had a problem with smelly nappies and the white vinegar definitely helped, as did line drying. Although i still find the wraps smell, cant seem to get rid of it completely so dont really know what the answer is! Sorry, not that helpful!

ilovemydog Wed 09-Jul-08 21:03:27

tea tree oil in bucket?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now