Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

2.8yr old DD - not ready for potty training?

(11 Posts)
jasperc163 Sun 29-Jun-08 13:16:17

Can someone tell me if it is necessary for DD to be aware of when she is going to pee/poo before trying? Also to be remotely bothered if she pees/poos on floor if nappy not on?

DD is very happy to spend considerable time sitting on either her potty or her loo seat. She has had the odd success - both pee and poo with lots of praise, reward etc but its been purely by chance because she is there. She still denies even having done a poo in her nappy (because she cant be bothered to go and have it changed). We just spent a week abroad and took the opportunity to leave her nappy off alot of the time with potty nearby and lots of conversations about it. However she generally just peed or pood whereever she was and wasnt concerned or interested in any conversations about the potty being a bettter place to do it.

Does this mean she just isnt ready?
thanks

Jas Sun 29-Jun-08 13:19:05

I tried under the circs you described, with dd1, as I was recating to pressure from other mmsblush It was a spectacular failure.

When she is ready she will let you know.

jasperc163 Sun 06-Jul-08 15:28:52

thanks Jas - what age was your dd?

Elk Sun 06-Jul-08 15:38:53

My dd2 (2.7) was quite happy to wee/poo everywhere/anywhere with her nappy off (dd1 was trained at 2.3) when I first tried (2.5). Last month I decided that she knew what she was doing but she just didn't care. When I suggested that a wee/poo on the potty got her a milky way star she was all for it. A month later we have the odd day where she doesn't manage it but in general she is fine. (Apart from Friday night at dd1's school family picnic where she dropped her trousers and dumped a poo on the playground and then walked off!)

mankymummy Sun 06-Jul-08 15:53:46

i would say she's not ready. just tried my DS who is 2+10 and finally accepted he's not ready yet either...

i'm going to try again in a month or two...

2point4kids Sun 06-Jul-08 15:55:37

DS1 is 2.9 now and I started with the potty training last month under very similar circumstances. He was dry and clean within 6 days and no accidents since!
I think he was just very lazy and not fussed about being wet or dirty!
He always said 'no poo' when he had done one just because he couldnt be bothered to stop and have his nappy changed too.

I posted on another thread yesterady my routine for the first few days.. I'll find it and link for you. You could always try for a couple of days and then if no success go back to nappies for a bit.

2point4kids Sun 06-Jul-08 15:56:34

this thread

simpson Sun 06-Jul-08 19:05:58

Jas - I tried to potty train my DS when he was 2.8 he also had no concept of needing to go. I gave up after 3 days and nothing in the potty. He really did try though bless him.

He is now 2.10 and in the last couple of months has started to tell me when he needs to go. Am going to give it another go when his playgroup breaks up for summer holidays in a couple of weeks.

Twelvelegs Sun 06-Jul-08 19:11:49

I think children show signs of being ready long before we're ready sometimes and we miss the boat, then some are pushed too soon. It's brilliant and lucky if your dc is ready when you are!!
DS1 not ready at over three, bending to pressure I potty trained him with him having accidents for about 6 weeks after the initial training. DS2 said one day that he wanted pants (2.9) and within two days he was without nappies day and night. DD1 is 20 months and has used a potty at 17 months (she asked) and did well until norovirus told hold and now at 20 months she freuently sits on the potty, only when she asks, and does 40% of daytime wees and 50% daytime poos. I'm off on holiday on Thursday and she'll get proper potty training.
Just go with your child, them wanting too is half the battle.

jeanybeeny Tue 08-Jul-08 08:35:02

I'm reassured by this thread! DS1 is 3, and still in nappies full time. I'm getting nowhere with potty training, even though I try to sit him on it at regular intervals, he just will not perform. Annoyingly, sometimes he will fill his nappy after I've put it back on, so he must be thinking there is some connection! I'm sure he will get there eventually. The real problem is I'm under pressure from my mum and MIL who both think he should have been out of day nappies ages ago. Also, friends have DC the same age who are completely potty trained. I use terry nappies, because someone suggested DS will connect more to the feeling when he's wet or dirty, but it does'nt seem to have any effect, because he won't tell me, even if I keep asking. Has anyone else had any experience of this?

jasperc163 Thu 10-Jul-08 19:26:17

Also reaassured though feeling pressure etc as she starts preschool in Sept and they do prefer them trained (though dont insist). I am also trying fabric training pants but it makes no difference - she just pees in it and doesnt seem to care (and doesn't tell me). I asked nursery and they also said she denies having done a poo when they know she has.

Am trying to bribe her to at least tell me when she has done something in the hope that at least acknowledging it will be a start, but even that doesn't seem to make much difference to her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now