Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Tell us the truth....

(46 Posts)
lunavix Sun 23-Jan-05 21:30:00

How much did everyone spend on their cloth nappies

Even though I've got a few second hand and some new, I've already spent over £100

misdee Sun 23-Jan-05 21:31:55

dd2 nappies cost me over £100 (11 tots size 3, about 6 wraps, fleece liners, nippas). for #3 i have alreadyspent about £70, and will spend more lol.

lunavix Sun 23-Jan-05 21:32:27

It's not just me... ( I'm heaving a sigh of relief )

jessicasmummy Sun 23-Jan-05 21:33:41

got ours from ebay and cost in total about £50 - got about 28 kushies

Demented Sun 23-Jan-05 21:33:50

Around the £100 mark (allowing for a bit of buying and selling) but recently sold some and got about £35/£40 (can't quite remember) as DS2 is dry during the day now, still have four size three tots, four x-large wraps, cloth wipes and boosters.

Demented Sun 23-Jan-05 21:34:59

Sorry that sounded like a for sale ad, just in case there is any confusion the size three tots and wraps are not up for sale as DS2 needs them for nights!

Fennel Mon 24-Jan-05 09:18:48

we spent about £200, all new, but I calculated that over 5 years and 3 children in the same nappies it's saved about £4,000 - 5,000. that takes the cost of washing into account, it's based on a Which magazine calculation.

so don't be dispirited you will save a fortune if you keep using them.

MotherMayI Mon 24-Jan-05 12:47:05

Have been a hoverer rather than poster up till now, mum of one ds 15m, and feel really strongly about this one: yes, you will save a fortune, particularly if planning on more children or passing them on to a friend. Mother-ease are good because you can use them from tiny baby to potty-trained thanks to a popper/folding design. Easy-peasy to put on, although does take a bit longer than disposables, which can be trying if you've got a wriggler. We got ours from little green earthlets (if you type that into google you'll find their website) - Waitrose are selling them too but Little Green Earthlets have cuter nappy wrappers. You need to get bigger wraps as baby grows but it is still a bargain, and if you've ever done any homework into the green aspect then you know that disposables are shocking for that as well as being loads more expensive. Good luck lunavix.

root Mon 24-Jan-05 14:05:02

yeh, they are a big outlay, but definitely save you loads in the long run. you can use them for all your kids and then sell them second hand. it makes me feel very saintly not having to empty a bin full of plastic disposables every day.

anyone got any bumbles, tots bots or motherease one size they want to sell by the way?

kagsie Mon 24-Jan-05 14:23:39

Spent about £200 on motherease one size, liners for bedtime plus four of sml, med and large wraps (just discovered wraps with velcro - so much easier than with poppers) from Born. Big outlay and forgot to wash them first so thought I'd made a huge mistake! Swear by them and have certainly saved a fortune already.

pootlepod Mon 24-Jan-05 14:45:56

I have spent quite a bit more than £200!

And that's with some free! But I am hoping to use them at least once more/sell them on.

I blame the lovely WAHM's nappies that are available. And being on a certain nappy seller's mailing list. Still, at least the addiction won't do anyone any harm...

MrsDoolittle Mon 24-Jan-05 14:50:54

Same here pootlepod

Still, I have a beautiful nappy collection; all colours, ladybirds prints, paw prints, bumble bees, hemp, special fleecey ones....

Quite, quite addicted

pootlepod Mon 24-Jan-05 14:58:38

MrsD- you're a fellow member of 'gets a thrill out of hanging cloth nappies out' are you not...
I got my fix this morning.

Thing is, I'm planning the nappies for a newborn which has yet to be a twinkle in the eye

Sponge Mon 24-Jan-05 15:22:14

I do understand that they are cheaper in th long run but I don't see where the thousands of £ come from.
Assuming £9 for a pack of approx 70 nappies. 5 nappies a day means the pack lasts 2 weeks so £9 x 26 weeks = £234 per year. Approx 2.5 years in nappies = £585 per child in disposables.
Perhaps I don't change my kids' nappies often enough .

MrsDoolittle Mon 24-Jan-05 15:27:14

Well pootlepod, I have just put away all my size 1 totsbots with the expectation

piffle Mon 24-Jan-05 15:27:23

bought 14 me one sizes and spent more on pretty fluffy other ones later on...
over £250 I would not care if they were twice as much as disposables, its not about the cost for me

MrsDoolittle Mon 24-Jan-05 15:37:53

Exactly piffle!
The fact they are cheaper is a bonus.
The fact the are better for the environment gives me the luxury of feeling self-righteous!!

root Mon 24-Jan-05 16:14:12

hey girls, let me know your absolute top recommendations for reusables cos I want to buy some more and am not sure what to get...
thanks!
r

mummyhelen Mon 24-Jan-05 17:05:37

Pootlepod, This sounds familiar! I used disposables for dd & ds1 and discovered cloth 3 months ago when ds2 was 12 months. I love them and now having seen all these lovely tiny little nappies for sale I am planning my collection for dd/ds4. For me it started off about saving money, but now I am just addicted. I lurve getting new nappies in the post first thing in the morning.

Root - love bumbles, rainbow bots & minki's.............oh I could go on and on.....

mummyhelen Mon 24-Jan-05 17:06:41

Oh, by the way dd/ds4 is not even a twinke in my eye yet

Fennel Mon 24-Jan-05 17:57:54

Sponge - the calculations I have seen price disposables at far more than £9 for a pack of 70. When we do buy disposables, say on holiday, it's usually about £7 for a pack of 24 of pampers/huggies type. I think the calculations must be based on that sort of price which must be what many people spend as that's what all the shops are full of.

I've seen several calculations which assume £1000-£2000 for having a child in disposables from birth-potty trained.

And the calculations for washables are that figure (up to £6,000 for 3 children)- initial cost of washables (say £200) - cost of washing them (which varies depending on your machine, and whether you tumble dry.

I might be mistaken but that's the sort of calculation I've seen in places like Which, and other consumer magazines.

misdee Mon 24-Jan-05 18:17:57

sponge, dd2 was going thro 2+ carry packs of pamoers a week, as she was in x-large at 12months old. it was hassle trying to find x-large nappies anyway, and when they too started leaking and she showed no signs of sloweing down growth wise i made the switch to cloth. i know i borrowed £100 to get the full set up for her, which were tots bots and ME wraps, and i havent looked back since. the only time i use disposables now is when dh is ill in hospital and i dont5 have much time to do normal laundry let alone nappies, or on holiday. and i hate paying out for them. Fortunatly now in the last 18months nappy manufactors have started making larger nappies.

But i am still building a collection up for #3 (due in 6 weeks time )

merglemergle Mon 24-Jan-05 18:46:35

Well we spent around 200 pounds on a very comprehensive motherease system (onesize + baby wraps) and probably around 150 pounds since then on more wraps (I HATE not having enough wraps). We've also bought bits and pieces like silk liners which we use when the nappy rash is really bad.

BUT the extensive washing caused our washing machine to break down, costing 500 pounds (this included a completely comprehensive 5 year warranty-the machine itself was only about 250!). This pushed the price up somewhat...

Plus we are going to have 2 in nappies come July, so will have to get more nappies-probably about 100 pounds worth I reckon.

I doubt we've saved much at all BUT this really wasn't our reason for using them. We decided to go for the nicest (and simplest) we could afford on the grounds that it would STILL be a bit cheaper than disposables.

Demented Tue 25-Jan-05 09:01:28

Sponge, we didn't change over to cloth until DS2 was 8 months old. I did the calculations and came up with a figure pretty similar to you. What did it for me was something I read on another website where they said that wearing disp nappies was simlar to wearing paper knickers and asked what you would prefer to wear yourself, cotton or paper. It was a combination of this and a house move, with better drying facilities and realising I could sell the nappies on if they didn't work out that made us change. I bought three Tots and a ME wrap expecting to be selling the next month and thought they were absolutely fantastic, haven't looked back!

finleysmum Tue 25-Jan-05 12:15:24

I saved loads by making some myself!.I do prefer kooshies,my precious baby by april and booboo nappies though!.
I came across a website in the usa called thrift nappies that says you can diaper a child for life for about $30.
Basically you buy a huge bag from a charity shop full of clothes with holes etc that they can't sell.You then make them into cloth nappies!.The pictures they showed were great~nike nappies,tommy hilfiger etc......
I supose in a way its sim to peeweez recycled nappies???.
The only outlay was the rubber pants and elastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now