Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is it worth starting late on 'real' nappies?

(23 Posts)
lunavix Thu 20-Jan-05 10:56:34

I'm starting to get a little tired of leaky nappies (we've tried every major brand as well but if poo isn't going through the legs it's going up the back! And some just leak wee through the main bit!)

I've been thinking about using real nappies, but as ds is 9 months I'm not sure how practical financially it will be, also getting used to them - me and him - any ideas/thoughts?

Socci Thu 20-Jan-05 11:04:37

Message withdrawn

elliott Thu 20-Jan-05 11:18:50

I started with ds1 at 13 months or so, and it was fine. I didn't buy many as he didn't need many changes by then, and also had nappies provided at nursery 3 days/wk. He used them for well over a year (potty trained around 28 months)
Another advantage of starting late is you need fewer sizes of wraps - ds1 was in large from 13 months to potty training.
I then used them on ds2 who is now 13 months, so if you're hoping for another one that's another plus point.
HAve to say though that I have rather fallen out of the habit recently - we just seem to have too much other washing to get through (and no tumble dryer!).
I've no idea whether I saved any money - possibly - but I did buy much fewer than most peoople recommend.

Amanda3266 Thu 20-Jan-05 11:38:47

Hi lunavix

You can get "one size fits all nappies" but have to admit they swamped DS when he was a newborn and we ended up buying some small and very cheap terry nappies. Now we use Motherease nappies and wraps which are really good. Worth doing an internet search for "Real nappies" as you'll be able to find someone local to you who supplies them. Not too late to start at all - you'll still save moey in the long run.

Mandy

lunavix Thu 20-Jan-05 11:48:06

It sounds good - I think I'm going to have to give it a go.

I need to get organised housework wise - taking notes off the other thread! - and I'm just going to have to fit these into the routine... argh lol.
Ds is a big baby though, I'm worried certain sizes won't fit him!

Mumfun Thu 20-Jan-05 11:57:30

Hi

I started later than I wanted - at 3 months as I had been poorly. It does take you to get used to a new system - but Im so glad I changed- much comfier for DS, and much cheaper. Especially financially good idea if youre going to have another.

I found nappies that are pocket nappies the best - instead of nappy and wrap I think the best way to explain is that you have a wrap with a pocket that you stuff with absorbent stuff -can be anything. Th wee then goes throuh the outer layer of pocket into absorbentstuff - no wee next to babys skin. There are lots on the market - I like best Fuzzi Bunz, Lollipop Rainbow and Snugwee. They are really quick to change - maybe even quicker than disposables as you dont have to unfold tham and ther is just one layer to put on baby -and often they have poppers that are easier to deal with , with a wriggly baby.

HTH- just ask more if you like

Waswondering Thu 20-Jan-05 12:11:25

A friend swapped at exactly the same stage as you for the same reason, and got a good deal with little lambs - something like 20 nappies and kit for £99. She hasn't looked back!

Good luck.

throckenholt Thu 20-Jan-05 12:16:23

he will probably be in nappies for at least another 2 years - so lots of time to get used to them. You can always resell them if you don't plan to use them with another child.

lunavix Thu 20-Jan-05 12:18:00

I suppose if I really don't get on with it I can always re sell them!
Think I'm going to have to read up on the many other threads about which ones people advise using!

MrsDoolittle Thu 20-Jan-05 12:19:27

Don't get me started lunavix!!!!

Waswondering Thu 20-Jan-05 12:20:36

If you haven't already, please do the nappy lady's questionnaire. That should tell you everything you need to know.

lunavix Thu 20-Jan-05 12:20:41

I do like the look of the tots bots MrsD

I'm rather scared as there are different types and I'm worried as ds is a big baby if I should start him on size 3 already.

Plus everyone says the coloured are better.. do you agree?

Waswondering Thu 20-Jan-05 12:21:25

IME coloured ones can fade in the wash quite quickly. Yellow and green are the only 2 that kept their colour.

MrsDoolittle Thu 20-Jan-05 12:23:15

I wouldn't say the colours are better. They are "slightly" more slim fitting. Use the unbleached at night.
Tell you what, don't you love in Berkshire?
If you want i can CAT you with the details of my nappy advisor - she's great and a great tots bots advocate too!!

lunavix Thu 20-Jan-05 12:27:29

Oh you are in Oxfordshire aren't you MrsD?

Yes I am, we just moved from Oxfordshire too

That would be great, CAT me

MrsDoolittle Thu 20-Jan-05 12:39:48

I have CAT you lunavix!

tassis Thu 20-Jan-05 13:20:35

I changed over to cloth when ds was 16 months. I'd say it's definatly not too late to start. As you say, you can always re-sell them.

throckenholt Thu 20-Jan-05 15:17:40

have a look at www.twinkleonthenet.co.uk - very good explanation of the different types and very friendly too.

Socci Sat 22-Jan-05 00:50:53

Message withdrawn

adamkylesmum Wed 23-Feb-05 15:15:39

www.booboonappies.wahmall.co.uk makes nappies to order so u can have any material any size.

hnnappies Fri 25-Feb-05 10:34:48

Im not sure if im allowed to say this on here as im new to this website but i make nappies if you need anything making. Can even make them for special occasions like weddings and christenings if thats what you need.
see www.happynappydays.co.uk or just leave a message here or on my email address happynappydays@aol.com

hnnappies Fri 25-Feb-05 10:37:11

I noticed cloth nappies on Home and Away and was really impressed-lol i think when libby had the baby on Neighbours she also used cloth nappies. Both if i remeber correctly were using terry towelling squares its a shame they wernt showing some of the more modern designs avaliable.

mamadadawahwah Sun 27-Feb-05 21:07:02

Real cloth nappies are a commodity and have excellent resale value. As long as you keep them clean you can sell them again on Ebay. Loads of people buy 2nd hand ones and once washed are better than new cause they are softer.

By the way, did you know boots does a range of disposables for £1.89? they fit up to 55 lbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now