Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is DS ready for potty training?

(8 Posts)
Maudy Sat 15-Jan-05 14:23:16

My DS is 2y 7m and we have recently started potty training him. Although he does wees and poos on the potty or loo quite happily he only ever does it when we put him there. He NEVER aks to go. He has been out of nappies properly for about a week now and still no joy. In fact today he has been running about without a nappy on all morning and has weed and pooed on the floor as well as doing a poo in the potty but again that was just because I had put him there.

I'm not sure if he is ready for it yet as he just doesn't seem to read the signs. I was thinking of putting him in pull ups for a while but have just read a thread on there pros and cons and the general concensus is that they are pretty rubbish as a training aid.

Not sure what to do.

Maudy Sat 15-Jan-05 14:24:45

Sorry, I mean 'their pros and cons'

IloveMarmite Sat 15-Jan-05 14:27:48

DD's were about this age when we potty trained them, but as I understand from friends with boys, they sometimes start potty training a little bit later, apparently it's something to do with having a willie to pee out of - it's harder for them to understand??? I don't wish to generalise but maybe it's just a man thing!

I will only find out if this is true when I come to potty train ds who is currently only 1!

Maudy Sun 16-Jan-05 18:54:55

Thanks ILM.

Any other thoughts anyone?

GreatBigFatHeiferEnid Wed 19-Jan-05 18:42:31

Hi Maudy

You might find putting him back into nappies affronts him so much he starts to persevere. Thats what happened with dd1 anyway.

Gwenick Wed 19-Jan-05 18:57:32

He sounds just like my DS1 - he would wee in the potty or toilet NO problem. But he wouldn't tell us if he needed to go, or if he'd done one (even worse as he'd be walking round wet). This went on for about 2 weeks (7 pairs of pants a day - couldn't do that 'no pants' thing as we were planning on moving house and I didn't want the carpet smelling of wee LOL) and then suddenly ne stopped!

Tommy Wed 19-Jan-05 19:00:23

I had a false start with my DS at about the same age. We did it for a little while then it all went pear shaped and I went back into nappies (much to the disgust of my Mum!). He went back into pants about 2 weeks ago and, so far, he has done really well and often actually tells me he wants to do a wee and/or a poo. He's 3 and 2 weeks now. Much better the second time round

Gwenick Wed 19-Jan-05 20:39:56

I probably should have waited longer with my DS2 - but we started when he was just about to turn 3 and I couldn't leave it any longer as I was due 2 months later. I wanted him settled before the baby arrived, and knew that if I didn't do it then he would have been almost 4 before we got started!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now