Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Sore bum :c(

(10 Posts)
lunavix Wed 12-Jan-05 11:17:05

Ds (9 months) has never really had nappy rash, he occasionally gets a slightly red mark which sudocream takes care of no problem. The day before yesterday I was changing his nappy and he has a terrible rash, its really red and sore and looks blistered too.

Is this nappy rash? Or something more worrying?

NameChangingMancMidlander Wed 12-Jan-05 11:20:53

DD had this a cpl of times, like you she previously had no probs with nappy rash. I bought metanium cream (a yellow nappy cream in a tube) and used it for a bit instead of sudocrem and it seemed to work a treat.

I'd also say to use cotton wool and plain water to clean him up until it heals, if you don't already. As the wipes can just add to the soreness. Let him have his nappy off for a s much time as you can as well, let the air get to him

One word of warning though, metanium is v yellow and can stain fabrics & carpets etc so be sparing. You only need a v thin layer for it to work.

starlover Wed 12-Jan-05 11:27:46

you can also used beaten egg white on nappy rash!
and leave the nappy off as much as poss

amynnixmum Wed 12-Jan-05 11:33:18

I used to use Kamilosan (maybe spelt wrong)
This cream is used for cracked nipples too so it is often not in the nappy section but in the mums section instead. Found this much better than sudocream when dd or ds had a bad rash. My neice is 10 months and she gets bad nappy rash when she eats meat - have you introduced something new to his diet recently? My sis only realised it was the meat the third time it happened.

LIZS Wed 12-Jan-05 11:35:09

Try Metanium but if that doesn't work you may need something prescribed from the doctor incase it is a fungal infection.

Furball Wed 12-Jan-05 21:27:55

Have you changed brand of wipes?

bottle Wed 12-Jan-05 21:38:55

ds had this and all of these seemed to help
benthanpam cream worked better for ds than metanium though this helped too
using olive oil and cotton wool to clean his bottom instead of water or wipes
wileda calendula oil rubbed in after changing

cause it got so bad and he was screaming when getting in bath or was touched at all in the area i always put cream on him at changes usually benthanpam or gen nappy cream like sudocrem

fredly Thu 13-Jan-05 15:16:05

Have you switched to another washing powder ? The same happened to my dd a few weeks ago. I went back to my old powder and she's been rash free ever since

hippi Thu 13-Jan-05 16:32:22

My dd had this about month ago, is it sort of blotch lunavix? I took her to the doctors and he said it's very common for babys especially in that area to get a specific germ - not sure what it's called. He gave me some steriod cream, within couple of days it had gone. When I asked why they get this germ he said it's found in urine. Up to then had no problems with nappy rash - except when she had pinapple - bit to acidic for her bum! See your dr, they'll know or a prictice nurse.

lunavix Thu 13-Jan-05 16:44:04

thanks everyone, its clearing up some now but I'm going to take him to the gp tomorrow just so its checked out :c)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now