Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Just started potty training yesterday. Some tips needed, please.

(28 Posts)
MommyD Fri 07-Jan-05 08:47:21

ds1 is 2.9yrs. He has been sitting on the potty doing wees and poos for a month now (with pull-ups). We decided yesterday to lose the nappies. We had 5 accidents in the morning and 5 different pairs of pants. Lunchtime he pood in the pot. Yesterday afternoon he had a two hour nap and woke up dry. No more accidents yesterday. Nappy at night. He woke with it saturated so he is definitely not ready for no nappy at night.

This morning he walked around for a while with a large poo in his pants. He did not seem bothered by it. He has just done it again and seems completely unfazed by wearing wet or dirty pants. Should I persevere? Any tips? I can't help thinking that is he doesn't mind being wet or dirty then it is only my nagging which will make him do anything in the pot. Thoughts?

bigbananaflambe Fri 07-Jan-05 08:53:55

Let him run around the house with no pants on (I found that as soon as clothes went on, he forgot and had accidents) keep potties in every room, try using stickers and praise every time he manages to do it, but be prepared for first few days for lots of accidents. Ask him every 10 minutes if he needs a wee - try and make it fun.

I'm sure you know all this (So I'll shut up!) but basically, don't expect too much too soon I'd say. Also the 'experts' say - they won't be dry at night for up to another year. Day time sleep should be in pull ups too until he's got the hang totally of using the potty during the day.

Tommy Fri 07-Jan-05 08:59:01

Loads of empathy. Am doing the same on our second attempt (DS 3 on Monday)He also walked (and sat unfortuately) around with a poo in his pants yesterday but I have to persevere as he starts at nursery school after half term and need to be ready by then. I would say to continue if you can, keep the washing machine busy and just keep at it (if you have the patience!)
Good luck - you have a fellow sufferer in your trials here

MommyD Fri 07-Jan-05 09:02:53

Thanks bigbanana - yep, he gets stickers and stamps on the back of his hand and since yesterday a little colouring book for something big in the pot . I just keep thinking about the fact that he COULD be dry in a matter of days and it doesn't look like he will get there very quickly. Also, his nursery carers suggested losing nappies altogether - i.e. not a night too, from day 1 as this apparently confuses them. Surely if he woke up saturated then this is pointless just yet? It's nappies at night for now.

I am just not sure what to expect/what's normal in the first few days.. We'll lose the pants after the next accident. I wanted to crack this between Thursday and Sunday - is this overambitious?

MommyD Fri 07-Jan-05 09:03:38

Tommy - up to our elbows in poo!!

Carla Fri 07-Jan-05 09:06:35

MommyD, well done - imho that's incredibly early. Just a thought, but have you considered bypassing the po and holding him on the loo? True my too were much later, but I just felt that I'd have to loo train them after potty training them. Well done! XXXX

Carla Fri 07-Jan-05 09:07:18

My two, even

TeaTime Fri 07-Jan-05 09:07:48

I'm interested in your experiences because my son (2 years 10 months) is nowhere near ready to ditch nappies (we're using washables) but I'd love to know how to tell when to start. He knows about potties and will sit on one happily but not do anything. Has no idea what goes on in his pants. Is going naked the best way to teach that? Our few experiences of this (after bathtime) result in puddles on the carpet.

MommyD Fri 07-Jan-05 09:09:20

Carla - desparate measures needed. I'm pregnant with number 3 and couldn't bear the thought of three in nappies. Baby #3 not due until July but nevertheless, can't imagine nappy changing two with a bump. Now simply dealing with the mess AND 12 week nausea (which isn't subsiding yet). Mad eh?

MommyD Fri 07-Jan-05 09:18:41

TeaTime - I decided to go for it as ds1 has been weeing and pooing in the pot. Over Christmas there were some days when EVERYTHING would go in the pot (still in pull-ups). The next day he couldn't be bothered. I kept thinking if he can use the pot for a whole day then I must strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.

I do not feel under any pressure at all, I just think he MIGHT be ready. If your son does not seem ready then I wouldn't start just yet. My view is why make more work for yourself? Someone one said to me start at 2 finish at 3, start at 3 finish at 3. Doesn't apply to all, by any means, but surely the best time to start is when they seem ready, and not before? It is not a race. I'll let you know how we get on.

Tommy Fri 07-Jan-05 09:50:43

Mine never uses the potty - only the toilet - he's very tall and found it quite difficult to squat that low! he uses a step to climb up.
Really feel for you being pg with all the poo as well!

kid Fri 07-Jan-05 10:12:00

I think that once they are ready to be potty trained you should persevere.
I potty trained DS during the summer so it wasn't too cold for him to run about in just pants. He had sooo many accidents, I thought he would never get there. But he did. It took about a week with 3 accidents every day. After that, we had maybe two or three accidents a week. I didn't stop his nappy at night for a while longer. Once they are out of nappies, you will wonder what all the fuss was about! I know I didn't think DS would ever be out of nappies!

ellimum Fri 07-Jan-05 10:13:18

I think we tried too early and made a mess of it (no pun intended). We tried at 2.9yrs at the suggestion of the nursery but he hated it, tore up the sticker chart and refused point blank to go near the loo or the potty. He didn't poo for a week. Now he is 3.2 and he still throws a wobbly if we get the potties out (we bought loads of different type ones and padded seats/stools for the loo). If you talk to him about it he says "I want a nappy, I am a baby". Not even for a chocolate button will he sit on the potty.

Carla Fri 07-Jan-05 10:15:29

We only decided to go for it when, just as we were about to leave for nursery, they said 'Oh no! I've done a wee in my nappy'.

Carla Fri 07-Jan-05 10:16:19

I think they were three, or maybe a bit later.

kid Fri 07-Jan-05 10:26:53

I know someone that attempted to potty train their DD at 1.10yrs
I think that is far too early, it was very stressful for them as her DD had som many accidents for months. She clearly wasn't ready and I'm not sure what the mum was trying to prove! She didn't rush her DD2 out of nappies though so maybe she did learn a lesson!

kid Fri 07-Jan-05 10:27:16

I know someone that attempted to potty train their DD at 1.10yrs
I think that is far too early, it was very stressful for them as her DD had som many accidents for months. She clearly wasn't ready and I'm not sure what the mum was trying to prove! She didn't rush her DD2 out of nappies though so maybe she did learn a lesson!

kid Fri 07-Jan-05 10:27:45

opps, don't know why that posted twice!

MommyD Fri 07-Jan-05 11:01:43

I am going to persevere - we have two soiled pants and two wet pants so far this morning. Does this mean I am starting too early? Reluctant to go back now - just worried about a trip to Sainsbury's later. Would putting a nappy on for the shops be daft and confuse the little lad?

Tommy Fri 07-Jan-05 15:07:28

How did you get on MommyD? Mine has been in pants for about a week but I did put a nappy on him after swimming today because I thought he might fall asleep in the car. I think venturing out to a supermarket with no nappy at this stage is very brave!!!

MommyD Fri 07-Jan-05 15:51:10

About the same as yesterday. Five pairs of pants, on his second pair or trousers (only on because been playing outside and it's a bit nippy!)
Like yesterday, he had an hour and a half sleep and I did not put a nappy on. He woke up dry.
I am going to persevere. I'll see how he is doing by Sunday. He goes to nursery Monday-Wednesday.

TeaTime Fri 07-Jan-05 17:03:59

I like the saying 'Start at 2 etc.' I'll wait a bit longer I think - although it's not a race it would be a good 'milestone' especially because it feels as if he's about the last in his nursery class not to be in pants (probably not true though). I think if ds ever refers to what he's done in his nappy it would be a start - I'd feel he was about ready. Good luck with your quest!

MistressMary Fri 07-Jan-05 17:19:01

My boy is just 14 months old and I have introduced the potty. And to be honest, he uses it. I only wanted him to get used to the idea. I'm amazed, he has only had one or two dirty nappies a week now. And he mananges a wee too.
He also sits there and plays with his bricks very happily!!!
All I know it's a lot easier to empty a pot then to wipe poo from up his backside for the next year or so! And if it doesn't last so what?
He has had a taster, so to speak!

Tommy Fri 07-Jan-05 17:21:50

Mine's go a bit pearchaped this afternoon as he didn't have a nap and is really tired. Don't know what to do for his party on Sunday - he'll be really excited and probably forget to go and I'm not sure if I want to be clearing up wee in the middle of a party!

MommyD Thu 13-Jan-05 16:31:42

A quick update for you: I started potty training ds1 last Thursday. I think we've cracked it. We had loads of accidents for the first two days. Since Saturday we have had either one or no accidents a day. Today ds1 has a loose bottom and has been to the toilet about 8 times - every time in the potty. Even went shopping this afternoon with no nappies and no accidents. No nappy for his nap (1-2 hours) and no accidents during these naps either. He still wears a nappy at night, but he is waking up with these drier and drier. First thing in the morning now he takes himself off to the loo.

I think we did it - and it wasn't too painful!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now