Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Pull ups - any point?

(40 Posts)
popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 10:25:10

Childminder seems to think there is....

DS has had his nappy off in the house over christmas and when not wearing it, he will reliably wee in the potty but not poo.
But will wee in nappy when he has it on.....

Childminder seems to think he should be in pull ups
I think they are just a gimmick (and leak!)
Any opinons...?

Lonelymum Wed 05-Jan-05 10:31:39

You will get other opinions, I'm sure, but personally, having potty trained three chidren so far, I would say no, no point. My eldest treated them just as nappies.

But lots of people buy them so someone must see some advantage in them. They are more expensive than nappies.

OldieMum Wed 05-Jan-05 10:32:12

They are great - only about 2 leaks (at night) over many months; DD likes pulling them up herself and they make changing much easier and faster.

Lonelymum Wed 05-Jan-05 10:35:00

Does your dd actually not wee or poo in them then OldieMum? My son just carried on doing his business in them as though they were nappies. As soon as I put pants on him, he wet himsefl two or three times, didn't like it, and started to use the potty, quickly followed by the loo. Poos took a bit longer unfortunately....

coppertop Wed 05-Jan-05 10:36:41

I know that when ds1 had some pull-ups he just used them as though they were an ordinary nappy. Expensive and a waste of time IMO.

The only type of pull-up I use now are the ones that are designed to be put on by pulling them up but are almost impossible to pull-down. I use these for ds2 as he has a tendency to take his nappies off and throw them.

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 10:36:57

we tried pull ups before...abotu 6 months ago when he really wasnt ready for potty training but wouldnt sit stil for his nappy chaging

they leaked in abotu 2 hours - he is a big lad and they rode up his bum!
but he has slimmed down now....
I think he would treat them like a nappy

ho hum
maybe i should just bite the bullet and pitty train him properly rather than faffing around with all this informal malarky

Lonelymum Wed 05-Jan-05 10:40:26

How old is he Popsycal if you don't mind me asking?

TheDragon Wed 05-Jan-05 10:40:52

I used them simply because they could be easily pulled up and down. I never got the hang of putting a nappy on a standing child. Also, DSs could pull them down themselves when they still wore them at night which was great for night training (not that I night trained them per se). They are more expensive than a nappy but if you're training, you use less of them and they're easier to use in those circumstances. They're pointless as a training aid though.

I used them in early training (when going out), in between training attempts (so that if they asked for the potty it was easy to pull the pull ups down) and nighttime.

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 10:43:21

he is 2 years 5 months - and is ready I think. We had a rubbish attempt in october - not really ready but if he has a nappy off and is either bare from the waist down or in pants he ALWAYS shouts for the potty and wees. He knows he needs to poo but wont do it on the potty, asks for a nappy and if he doesnt get one, he will hide and do it anyway and be really distraught. Or will wait til we go out and put a nappy on him and will do it then.

He gets lots of praise for using the potty and loves it.

Also, baby due in ealry march,,,

mishi1977 Wed 05-Jan-05 10:43:35

hi
i use pull ups but only beacuse my ds who is 14mths wont stay still long enough for nappy change so essentially use them as a nappy..i dont think i would use them for training maybe apart from a night time only because i could see how it would confuse them

mishi1977 Wed 05-Jan-05 10:43:39

hi
i use pull ups but only beacuse my ds who is 14mths wont stay still long enough for nappy change so essentially use them as a nappy..i dont think i would use them for training maybe apart from a night time only because i could see how it would confuse them

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 10:44:44

they would DEFINITELY leak for him at night

Lonelymum Wed 05-Jan-05 10:45:56

Sounds ready to me Popsycal. Bite the bullet and leave him in pants. But the bay coming in March might set him back a bit. Be prepared for that.

Lonelymum Wed 05-Jan-05 10:46:18

Baby not bay!

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 10:47:18

I know...was dubious whether to go for it or not - that is why we have done the informal 'pants off' thing over christmas. he can be hours with no nappy and reliably use the potty...

Hmmmm
What do you do when you go out at the first stages?

Lonelymum Wed 05-Jan-05 10:49:38

PANIC!!!!

Seriously though, try not to go out too much, take loads of spare clothes, ask twenty times a minute if they need the loo, be prepared for your child to urinate in a bush, and if all else fails, bung a nappy on and hope that doesn't confuse your child.

galaxy Wed 05-Jan-05 10:52:02

My sister is a childminder and mum of 3 and doesn't agree with training pants apart from when out and about in the early stages of potty training.

Her 3 never used them and were "dry" quicker than her mindees who's parents use pull-ups.

We started potty training last week and just left dd without a nappy or pants in the house. She had a couple of accidents but most of the time made it to her potty.

I still put her in pull up Pampers when out and about as it's too early not to.

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 10:57:58

Hmmm
I really dont think they will help as a training aid - but just going out in the early stages. At the moment and for the next month or so at least, he is with me sat to tues then at childminders wed til fri. Chatted to her this morning about potty training - as they are out and about lots and at toddler group where the loo is down the corridor, she would not want him in pants at toddler group until he was well on the way with training. HMMMM
Slightly counterproductive

monkeygirl Wed 05-Jan-05 11:00:52

I think pull-ups are great but only used them occasionally when out when dd was about 70% trained. They were also great for night-time training and I did manage to persuade her that they were special pants and not nappies! Those disposable pamper mats are useful to put on car-seats or buggies in the early days when you go out. You just have to bite the bullet and take loads of changes of clothes. You could take along one of those portable potties but my dd hated it and would never use it.

Lonelymum Wed 05-Jan-05 11:01:14

It sounds to me that your main problem is the child minder. Perhaps you need to discuss with her your philosophy re potty training. She should fit in with what you want, but if she doesn't, and you really value her services, you may have to fit in with what she wants.

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 11:02:37

right
saturday morning i think we will go for it properly.... and in the meantime, keep his nappy off all the time he is at home...will see how we go sat til tues and maybe keep him off from childminders a day or two next week if needed to get him established....
maybe

Pidge Wed 05-Jan-05 11:02:38

Yup we found pull-ups were just treated as nappies. So too expensive given we didn't gain anything from using them.

As for going out - early days you just have to accept a few accidents. It's amazing how it does get better and how you can relax about it. Dd started potty training in October, and we took it real slow, including 5 full days back in nappies for a trip to Italy. But now she's only in nappies at night, and accidents are very very rare.

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 11:03:17

lonelymum - you are right really. she is fab otherwise.......

Lonelymum Wed 05-Jan-05 11:05:00

I was lucky in that when my dd was potty training, she only went to a child minder one morning a week and she is my friend anyway and very good at fitting in with her clients wishes. But if your childminder has different views, you may have to go her way. It should only last a few weeks either way...

popsycal Wed 05-Jan-05 11:06:50

I will chat with her again tonight when i pick up ds.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now