Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Advise on poo accidents

(6 Posts)
popsycal Mon 03-Jan-05 15:03:39

Have been unofficially potty training ds (2 years 4 months) in the last few days. By unofficially I mean that when we have been at home, he has had his nappy off and for a few days has gone round the house pantless then the last few days has worn underpants. We have had no accidents whatsoever and he now uses the potty without prompting and is very proud of himself. He has had a nappy on if we have ventured out however.

BUT!!! Until today, he has always timed his dirty nappies for first thing after he has woken and is therefore still in a nappy or when we have been out. He doesn't ask for the potty when wearing a nappy but will scretch for it when nappiless.

This morning, we took his nappy off before it was dirty on purpose to see what would happen when he needed a poo. He came running in shouting POOOOO (which he shouts when he needs a wee too) but wouldnt sit on the potty but wanted underpants on. DH put them on him (I was getting dressed) then ds promptly went in the kitchen, filled his pants then got very very upset with himself even though we really played it all down.

OK so advice! What is the next step? We are 'properly' potty training (he goes back to chilminders on wed) and how do we try to get him to poo on potty.
He loves the praise he gets for weeing

popsycal Mon 03-Jan-05 15:04:15

and of course - thread title should read advice not advise

soapbox Mon 03-Jan-05 15:13:53

Big jar of lollies or other favoured treat somewhere very visable close to his potty. When he poos or wees you make a huge fuss and very theatrically give him a lolly from the jar.

When he is unsuccessful you don't make fuss at all, but drop into the conversation casually 'oh don't worry you can have a lollipop next time you do it on the potty'.

The jar has to be very impressive for this to work and you need to really ham it up when he has performed!

This approach broke a 12 month problem with my DS who was still pooing his pants despite having mastered the wees almost immediately!

Good luck!

popsycal Mon 03-Jan-05 15:16:35

excellent!
the wees we have cracked but i think we might go out and buy a special jar and fill it with jellies for poo in potty!
Sounds like a good idea!
Thanks

KateandtheGirls Mon 03-Jan-05 16:05:13

I have been doing this for my 2 year old for poos in the potty. Despite me cringing when she has a chocolate at 9am, if it works I don't mind!

NotQuiteCockney Mon 03-Jan-05 16:34:43

I took DS1 to the laundromat as a special treat, after his first proper poo in the potty. (He had a bit of a "thing" for washing machines.) I hate food as a reward, and sweets in particular, so this worked very well for us.

The laundromat worker was pretty amused, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now