Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Anyone have a not-quite-2-year-old that seems ready to potty train?

(24 Posts)
TheHonEnid Fri 28-Mar-08 15:27:00

dd3 is very keen. I can't quite face it. I didn't train the others until they were almost 3.

dd3 is 22 months. Would it be a very silly idea to do it now?

RubySlippers Fri 28-Mar-08 15:29:04

hmm - started with my DS at 19 months and was going well until we moved house and we are now back to square one and won't be trying until the summer when he is 2

if your DD seems ready then go for it - perhaps seeing her 2 older sisters means she is more ready IYSWIM?

TheHonEnid Fri 28-Mar-08 15:35:18

yes

I am terrible at potty training

it is my parenting Weak Spot

callmeovercautious Fri 28-Mar-08 15:35:35

DD is 18m and tbh I think I could train her now if I really tried. However like Rubyslippers I am going to wait for the warmer weather and take a week off work to concentrate on it properly.

She may have other ideas though as last night she pulled her trousers down and was trying to get her poppers undone on her vest as I was on the Phone and she wanted a clean nappy hmm

TheHonEnid Fri 28-Mar-08 15:37:54

yes dd3 demands to sit on the potty and loo to do a wee hmm

i feel she is trainging herself and actually I have little to do with it - like everything in her life hmm

pedilia Fri 28-Mar-08 15:40:02

DD is 15 months and will try and take her trousers/tights off when she has filled her nappy so I am going to get a potty for her.

Heated Fri 28-Mar-08 15:40:22

Although dd is showing signs of being ready (22m) & for about 10 minutes I entertained the idea, really I don't think her verbal skills are quite good enough yet so going to wait until the summer when it's a bit easier. Prefer to do training fast and over in a week/10 days rather than drawing it out over months (I hope!)

PanicPants Fri 28-Mar-08 15:59:40

Ds was on the way to being trained at that age - without any pressure from me really. Had about 2 or 3 accidents a week and if I was going out on my own with him I stuck him in trainer pants (because my stress levels wouldn't take it blush) but by about 2yrs he was always dry when we got back home or asked for the potty out and about (the pottet is a fabulous thing!)

keevamum Fri 28-Mar-08 16:04:32

DD1 was ready and dry in the day at 18 months. She only had 1 accident. Her speech was excellent though and I believe that really helped as she understood what was being asked of her.
DD2 is 22 months and not ready yet. I believe it is different for each child. If you think she's ready go for it she probably is!

suwoo Fri 28-Mar-08 16:06:42

DD started to train herself at 18 months and was completely reliably dry at 22 months (daytime only). If she is doing it herself anyway why not go along with it? She sounds ready to me.

TheHonEnid Fri 28-Mar-08 16:07:24

her speaking is excellent and she does seem to understand everything

she had a poo earlier and came to ask me to change her nappy

I put fifi pants on her a couple of hours ago and so far she has done two wees in the big loo (both prompted by me though)

keevamum Fri 28-Mar-08 16:12:35

It sounds like you are home and dry, well almost. Wish my DD2 was this ready.

LilRedWG Fri 28-Mar-08 16:15:10

DD (22 months) tells us when she needs a poo, but as the poor child suffers with constipation it can be anything up to 24 hours before she produces one. She doesn't seem aware of the need for a wee yet and if I'm honest I am dreading potty training her. My ILs and Mum have already made comments about doing it this summer.

LilRedWG Fri 28-Mar-08 16:15:57

DD does ask me to change her nappy if she's had a poo and even if during the night, she wake and shout, "Mamma, Dadda - POO", down her monitor.

LilRedWG Fri 28-Mar-08 16:16:50

Enid - as you are obviously experienced in such matters, should I buy a potty and leave around for her to play with or not get one until we are ready to train?

PanicPants Fri 28-Mar-08 16:20:16

I'd buy a potty to play with - hours of entertainment if nothing else. Ds used to sit his teddies on it, before he used it!

LilRedWG Fri 28-Mar-08 16:24:19

Thanks - sorry for the hijack blush

moonpig123 Sat 06-Aug-11 21:04:47

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

MrsShrekTheThird Sat 06-Aug-11 21:12:38

dd decided she didn't wear nappies any more at 21mo. Would love to say I 'trained' her but I had absolutely nothing to do with it, she made her mind up, took nappies off and wore her older brothers' boxers or went commando blush - hence me running round to try to find the smallest size in knickers as she was tiny, wearing 12-18month clothes at the time grin if they want to, they'll do it.

An0therName Sat 06-Aug-11 21:25:56

my DS1 was under 2 when he got interested -older children at childminders - we got a potty and had him in pull ups - and he used the potty when he wanted to - which was quite alot at home - didn't go to pants until he was about 2.3 - he trained pretty quickly then
not for you really HonEnid (love the name BTW my grandmother was an Enid)
but just in general I found no cry potty training solution v useful -it has a readiness questionaire - I also read and took some ideas from gina ford -potty training book

Wigeon Sat 06-Aug-11 21:33:45

We had a potty kicking around from when DD1 was about 18 months, and took a veeerrry gradual, no pressure attitude. But as she was approaching 2 she seemed keen and was completely dry during the day by 24 months, and then dry at night a couple of weeks later, with very few accidents (in fact no night accidents at all - and she's now 3).

We never did cold turkey with nappies - we started leaving them off and using pants in the house, then putting her in pants for short trips (eg to playgroup) and eventually she was in pants all day. And never used pull ups / pottettes etc etc because we only went out without a nappy when we were fairly confident she would be fine.

So it might be that your DD is ready - why not give it a try?

Wigeon Sat 06-Aug-11 21:35:38

(although I should add that she was the first of her contemporaries by some months to be potty trained, but not because we were potty-training nazis, more because she just seemed able / willing to go for it. I do wonder if it possibly had something to do with her being in real nappies - ie she could feel the wettness better than in disposables. Maybe, maybe not).

anniemac Wed 10-Aug-11 12:04:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anniemac Wed 10-Aug-11 12:06:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now