Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

potty training at 1yr?!?

(7 Posts)
MaeBee Wed 03-Oct-07 21:18:52

my boy has always been a few months ahead of his game. he is now 12 mths. the last few days, during his pre-bath nappy off time he has delighted in pooing on the carpet. he doesn't usually poo at this time of evening. or at least, he didn't used to. and he seems to be (tmi?) making himself, and he;s pretty proud and interested before, during and afterwards.
so we thought about getting a potty and sticking him on it in the evening at this period.
has anyone elses lo seemed up for it so young?

notnowbernard Wed 03-Oct-07 21:20:26

Are you considering actually trying to train him?

fingerwoman Wed 03-Oct-07 21:21:18

try him and see. my cousin potty trained at a year, so it certainly happens although it's pretty unusual

tulip27 Wed 03-Oct-07 21:22:30

Yes put him on the potty but don;t woop for joy yet. If hes not old enough to hold it or to understand 'wait until I get the potty out' or in fact to ask you he needs to go then it will all end in distaster.
Getting him used to the potty is good but it will take time, understanding and vocab before you can go the whole hog.

stripeytiger Wed 03-Oct-07 21:28:34

Hi MaeBee. There is a book called "Potty Training your Baby", and it is specifically aimed at potty training babies and younger toddlers. Can't remember the author but I bought it when my dd was coming up to that stage. It makes interesting reading. My advice is that if you think it might be worth giving it a go then go for it, although I think you will find a massive majority will be against it, but do what you feel is right for you and your little one.

Good luck.

ps would have sent you the book but have moved house since potty training and think I binned it.

insywinsyspider Wed 03-Oct-07 21:51:40

go for putting him on the potty only if to start showing him that pooing happens in potty
we've put ds on potty since 10mo and he has morning poo in one (saves putting poo thro my washing machine!)

as others have said on other threads about training, they won't be trained till they can tell you and pull down their pants but I think showing them early that its not right to sit in poo is a good thing!
good luck

MaeBee Thu 04-Oct-07 09:10:52

thanks, think i will give it a go. im not desperate to push him, only when he's ready, its just he really does do everything early and when i ask "are you having a poo?" he does say "yes" (he answers yes and no now). im not up for the whole big training hog, just wondered if it was a good idea.
think he's a fair way of managing to undo his dungarees though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now