Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Are ebay UK still not allowing the sale of pre-loved cloth nappies?

(28 Posts)
daisyandbabybootoo Tue 25-Sep-07 12:19:58

I've just signed this petition, but noticed from previous threads on here that ebay US are allowing used cloth, but that ebay UK aren't.

Is this still the case or have they come to their senses? as i see listings occasionally for used cloth.

If they are still removing listings in the UK, is there a UK petition we can sign does anyone know?

And if there isn't a UK petition, how does one go about starting one?

Susianna Tue 25-Sep-07 12:22:34

Had a listing removed about 3 weeks ago sad

JolieGirl Tue 25-Sep-07 12:23:12

why would anyone want to buy used cloth nappies? hmm

daisyandbabybootoo Tue 25-Sep-07 12:28:40

because they are expensive, and buying a few 2nd hand lets you try them out before comitting a huge outlay.

They are washed you know!

Orchide Tue 25-Sep-07 12:30:45

money, money, money?!

new cloth nappies are so expensive, buying used saves money and is no different to the nappy services available where they deliver you a set number of freshly laundered nappies that are not your own.

why not?

JolieGirl Tue 25-Sep-07 12:30:54

yuk - gross IMO

Susianna Tue 25-Sep-07 12:31:06

Oh dear, some people still haven't heard of cloth diapering it would seem! [Argh]
Joliegirl, honestly, it's very common practice and you can find them at NCT sales all over the country.
They last years smile

Susianna Tue 25-Sep-07 12:32:02

You're entitled to your opinion but it's not very helpful to the thread.

JolieGirl Tue 25-Sep-07 12:37:09

wan't trying to be helpful - just a bit appalled that people would put a baby in a cloth nappy that had already been 'soiled' by others. Seems totally unhygenic in this day and age! Whilst I can understand the environmental benefits of cloth nappies -don't get me wrong - a few bits of cloth cannot cost that much to buy new?

loonylovegood Tue 25-Sep-07 12:42:28

Joliegirl new cloth nappies can cost between £7 and £15 each. You need around 20 in each size, so that is around 60 nappies in all. Plus you need wraps, at around £6 each, plus liners and boosters and the cost of washing. It really is an expensive business. If buying a few second hand nappies can help with the cost then surely this is a good thing.

You obviously don't care about the 8 million disposables used every day in the UK that all end up in landfill!

Notyummy Tue 25-Sep-07 12:46:00

We used ones that our friends gave us, having been used for both their ds. If they are all in ones (Kushies, like ours) then they are a lot more than 'bits of cloth' and would have costed around £400 for the numbers we had if we had bought them new.

Its no different to buying cloth nappies and using them for siblings, and as long as they are washed properly they are fine. They were spotless when we got them and spotless when we returned them...they then gave them to their SIL to use!

We could have afforded to buy new ones, or disposables, but didn't see the point. Why does everything have to be brand new?? Its that kind of consumerist crap that is killing the planet!!

<wonders into the distance ranting about materialism>

Susianna Tue 25-Sep-07 12:46:03

So if your baby was to have an accident and some baby poo got on their clothes, would you just bin the clothes or wash them at 60 degrees and consider that hygienic?

Do you buy a new toilet every time you move house? Or never use a public loo?

Interested to know.

We wouldn't all be stupid enough to do this if it was actually unhygienic hmm

We do care about our kids' health...

daisyandbabybootoo Tue 25-Sep-07 13:00:03

joliegirl......this thread isn't for discussing the pros and cons of cloth nappies or for trying to convince you they are a good idea (do a search and you'll find loads), rather for canvassing opinion on the ebay situation as i would like to sell mine when I'm finished with them.

sooooo, back to the subject in hand...

does anyone know of a UK petition?

NorthernRockCod Tue 25-Sep-07 13:01:02

some poeple do install new toilets every time they move hosue

Notyummy Tue 25-Sep-07 13:06:22

god give me strength

do they install new limbs every time they go outside and brush against something

I realsie there is a side issue of OCD for some cases but otherwise.....bollocks!!

Anyhoo, I'll shut up and stop diverting the thread.

Sorry, I haven't heard of a petition, but would sign it if it existed.

paolosgirl Tue 25-Sep-07 13:18:05

I've just signed the petition too. Am sooooooangry at ebay. I will decide if I want to put my child in used cloth nappies (and I do, thank you) - I really don't need ebay to tell me what I can and cannot buy. Crikey, when you think of the dodgy stuff you can buy on there, they'd do better to put their energies into stopping that.

Oh, and btw Jolie, washing at 60 and sticking them in the microwave for a minute after the wash (if you want to be really certain) kills all the bacteria. The cost is another reason why some of us choose to buy used. Sheesh, I wish some people would check their facts....

Flamesparrow Tue 25-Sep-07 15:13:14

Do they really Cod?!!? shock

If you don't use cloth or want to buy used nappies, then it really doesn't affect you does it hmm

gess Tue 25-Sep-07 15:20:26

I did manage to sell some under the censor (I had them in my shop- auction listings got spotted and chucked off). None left on there now though, they eventually caught up with my shop. PITA. Have loads here to list somewhere.

I assume trainer pants are a no-no as well (my tot bots trainers sold really well on ebay a few years ago).

Ripeberry Tue 25-Sep-07 17:01:09

Last spring i had an E-bay listing deleted due to the Motherease nappies i was selling were used.
There is a site called the Nappy Lady and they sell all kinds of nappies and you can list for free!!
Sold all my nappies on there earlier this year.
AB

Susianna Tue 25-Sep-07 17:07:20

Ya boo sucks to ebay then, I'm off to the nappy lady site!

Flamesparrow Tue 25-Sep-07 17:17:57

Nappy Lady classifieds has shut down due to con artists.

Use MINE I tell you

Flamesparrow Tue 25-Sep-07 17:19:03

Oh, just scrolled and realised I didn't tell you blush

BumFluff Classifieds (I get no profit from it so can link freely, right?)

Ripeberry Tue 25-Sep-07 17:22:50

Sorry, did not know there were problems on The nappy lady site, anyway there seems to be lots of sites dedicated to USED nappies.
AB

daisyandbabybootoo Tue 25-Sep-07 17:22:57

There is always www.usednappies.co.uk as well....

maybe we should start a petition to ebay UK. If the american site backed down.....hmm

how does one start an e-petition?

Flamesparrow Tue 25-Sep-07 17:41:07

lol - I was joking in the yelling blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now