Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

slightly whiffy cloth nappies - teething or ????

(24 Posts)
nuru Thu 13-Sep-07 13:37:22

Have noticed the last couple of washes that the smell isn't going completely from dd2's nappies (use prefolds and pockets mostly). Had the washing maching replaced a couple of weeks ago, so wonder if it's that (hope not!) or does their wee get whiffier when they're teething (which she's doing big time at the mo).
Wash at 60C with Fairy nonbio.

Any ideas??
And any tips for washing?
Thanks

domesticgrumpess Thu 13-Sep-07 13:40:22

Message withdrawn

Flamesparrow Thu 13-Sep-07 13:40:36

much whiffier when teething grin

Add some white vinegar in the conditioner drawer

preggersagain Thu 13-Sep-07 13:42:20

also you could wash them with no detergent- it may be that the new machine is more efficient that your old one (less water per wash prob) so the ammount of detergent you were using is too much in this new machine.

Flamesparrow Thu 13-Sep-07 13:43:32

Ooh good point

preggersagain Thu 13-Sep-07 13:46:55

wink i'm back on form flame!! (and ps, its twins!!!!!!) x nearlythere

Flamesparrow Thu 13-Sep-07 13:48:07

TWINS?!?! Are you sure you're not my cousin?!!? (Preg the same time and just found out it is twins)

Ooh think of all the fluffy goodness... will you find out the sex??

preggersagain Thu 13-Sep-07 13:50:17

def finding out the sex- but it does mean that the swaddlebees really will bankrupt me now!! thinking of fuzzi as well maybe?

OOps- didn't mean to hijack, will start a newborn nappy thread now- flame give me your opinions in a sec!

nuru Thu 13-Sep-07 17:47:32

Thanks for the suggestions - sorry had to dash off after posting earlier.

Flame - how much white vinegar would I put in? Does it get rinsed out ok?

So do you think one round with no detergent but a swish of vinegar would help?

mozzybear Thu 13-Sep-07 21:14:04

I had this problem a few months ago and Flame told me the same thing and it works! I put a swig in. Nappies have thus far never smelt of vinegar (or wee...hurrah!).

Last nights nappy was eye watering when it came of. Def teething. Never knew baby pee could be used in chemical warfare!

Flamesparrow Fri 14-Sep-07 14:01:31

Sorry - missed this, yes, that should help

NappiesGalore Sat 15-Sep-07 21:05:35

does the vinegar in the conditioner drawer thing work if the machine itself seems a bit pongy?

its not awful but it does smell like someones been washing a lot of wee and poo soaked stuff in there everyday.coz i have.

Pinkveto Sat 15-Sep-07 21:07:20

What am I doing wrong? I did the vinegar thing to soften up some bamboozles and they definately smelt of vinegar.

Pinkveto Sat 15-Sep-07 21:07:53

I'm now on a good few drops of lavender essential oil in the bucket.

Pinkveto Sat 15-Sep-07 21:08:19

And my machine smells rather like Gruyere

NappiesGalore Sun 16-Sep-07 10:08:55

nice pv!

so, anyone know what pv and i can do about our pongy machines??

mozzybear Sun 16-Sep-07 12:01:10

I'd do an empty load on 90 with some tea tree oil to kill any other nasties. SOmetimes you can get a build up, esp if you wash on 40 mostly

NappiesGalore Sun 16-Sep-07 12:54:55

ok.
have just put the machine on with just a pillowcase in (to help the water swish more??) on 90 with about 15 drops in each of the detergent and conditionaer drawers or teatree oil and a scoop of fairy too.

if that dont do it... grin

(aktch, i took out the last load of nappies which id done on 60 with vinegar in the conditioner bit and it all smelt much fresher. but just to make sure i did the above anyway.)

so pinkV, you know what to do!

mozzybear Sun 16-Sep-07 13:28:54

I had to take my dispenser draw out the other day, it was vile.

Sure you realise, but don't put oil in every wash as it can weaken the plastic in the draw. Then you'd need a new machine...w hich would solve the problem I guess grin

NappiesGalore Sun 16-Sep-07 13:37:23

oh right!

good job i can hardly ever be bothered eh?? grin

tortoiseSHELL Sun 16-Sep-07 13:40:54

So, is it 'white vinegar' or 'white wine vinegar'? And tea tree oil on a cloth in the wash with them, or in the dispenser?

NappiesGalore Sun 16-Sep-07 13:47:57

well tort, since i just made it up as i went along, im not sure my advice is what youre after, but

i used white malt vinegar, since that was the only white vinegar in the cupboard and put my drops in the dispenser, both detergent and conditioner sides.

mozzybear Sun 16-Sep-07 14:18:08

yep, malt is fine. Wine is a bit expensive for such things (however, it should work the same).

I'm far too lazy to do this sort of stuff all the time too. I do a 60 and vinegar wash once a month and I can never find my oils so that never happens. My machine seems to use most of washing liquid on the prewash too (it just slides away) and i've found that this helps too as its been thouroughly rinsed out by the end.

nuru Thu 20-Sep-07 14:31:50

Finally got the vinegar and just did a wash with it and no powder. Looking and smelling good so far, and prefolds a lot softer now too - hurrah.
Thanks for all the help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now