Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

nappy rash when using cloth

(9 Posts)
levan Tue 11-Sep-07 19:34:18

My 15 month old dd has always worn cloth nappies and they have been fine. However in the last month or so she has developed nasty nappy rash which clears up if she is put in disposables for a few days but comes back as soon as she goes back into cloth. Have tried Sudocrem and Kamillosan neither of which really seem to help. Can anyone suggest anything?

bagpuss Tue 11-Sep-07 19:42:58

With reusables it could be a couple of things. Sometimes cloth can have a build up of detergent and the nappies need to be stripped (i.e. washed without powder on a hot wash). It might be a wetness issue and you may find that if you don't already use fleece liners then this may keep her drier. My ds2 had a rash recently (which is rare for him) and it was while we were on holiday. I was using cloth but realised that he was drinking rather a lot of squash instead of either water and natural juice. Once I stopped him from drinking the squash the rash cleared up. I like to use Green People Organic Babies Baby Salve on ds as it soothes and protects. I also sometimes use bepanthen if the rash is more persistent.

NineUnlikelyTales Tue 11-Sep-07 19:51:39

We found this for a while and I was recommended the following:

1) Fleece liners
2) Petroleum-free jelly (lentil weavery health food shop baby product)
3) The same Green People salve as bagpuss mentioned

DS rash cleared up within a few days and hasn't come back.

NineUnlikelyTales Tue 11-Sep-07 19:52:49

BTW the jelly is slapped on as a barrier, on top of the salve (which smells nice, as a bonus!)

SenoraPostrophe Tue 11-Sep-07 20:01:34

it could also be that the rash is some sort or mild thrush / fungal infection that is in the nappies. Have you given them a hot (60 or 90) wash lately?

levan Wed 12-Sep-07 19:35:34

Thanks for these. We already use fleece liners so it's not that. I will try a hot wash without detergent and see what happens. Is the Green People salve expensive?

NineUnlikelyTales Wed 12-Sep-07 22:24:06

I think we paid about £5 but it lasts forever as you don't need much. The jelly is about £7 but it does get used up quicker. You could try vaseline if you don't mind the petroleum thing.

ShrinkingViolet Wed 12-Sep-07 22:29:03

also silk liners can help with nappy rash. Would definately recoemmend as hot a wash as you can do with your particular nappies (not all are recommended at 90) without powder, and look to see how many bubbles there are! It took me three full washes to clear otu DD3's nappies once i'd worked out what was causing her red bum blush.

schilke Thu 13-Sep-07 09:54:48

Hi levan. I have this problem too with my almost 15 month old dd2. She's my 4th in cloth and I don't remember these problems with the others. I've tried hot washes - no bubbles left etc. Can't use much in the way of creams as I use fuzzis.

Had to resort to cloth in the day and disposable at night. Hope it clears up soon for your little one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now