Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

how to get the kid dry at night?????

(18 Posts)
dissle Mon 10-Sep-07 18:46:57

so, starting from tonight, i have told him that he can no longer have his bed time milk.
had it at 6, am going to give him it when he gets home from school, between school finish and tea time.

he already has a wee before bed, so will continue that,

what else do i need to do?

oh and ive got stickers ready for dry nights......
he is 4.2 now

LIZS Mon 10-Sep-07 18:53:05

He may simply not be ready , so try not to be allow him to be disappointed if he doesn't manage it. Lots of kids starting school are still in nappies at night.

dissle Mon 10-Sep-07 18:53:27

cod, how did you do it..you seem to be the expert on ploppy panted kids.

grouchyoscar Mon 10-Sep-07 18:54:45

DS, also 4.2 just did it on his own volition. He started to be dry this weekend so, fingers crossed

Personally, you're doing all the right things

Kids do all these milestones, potty training etc when they want to. Someone told me not to worry until DS was 5 years old

Best of luck with it all

dissle Mon 10-Sep-07 18:55:00

i thought that Lizs because he is never ever dry in the morning but then he does consume this milk immediately prior to bed.....hmm

see now i was going to wait till he showed signs but he isnt so thought i would at least try to make a few moves into the right direction...

daisyandbabybootoo Mon 10-Sep-07 18:56:04

if he's just started school, it's probably not a good time to start this.

My DS was dry most nights with the odd accident, but after starting school last september he regressed pretty rapidly and is still in pyjama pants now. We've tried getting him up at all hours, but nothing seems to work.

HV says its normal and they will only consider it a problem if he gets to seven.

dissle Mon 10-Sep-07 18:56:33

thanksgrouchy, i had heard the same thing about not worrying till they reached 7 actually, just wanted to try and see how we go. dont want to put him under pressure tho as he has just started school.

dissle Mon 10-Sep-07 18:58:14

you are confirming my thoughts really. wondered if it would be a bad idea starting when he is dealing with a major life experience. Poor little man, his whole world has gone mad!!!!!!

daisyandbabybootoo Mon 10-Sep-07 19:04:08

bless him smile. I hope he's settling in OK at school. He must be one of the younger ones as well.

My DS was 4.25 when he started and it seemed terribly young to me.

NAB3 Mon 10-Sep-07 19:05:54

You can't. Their bodies have to do it.

lilolilmanchester Mon 10-Sep-07 19:07:41

I'd leave it for a while. Not an expert, so perhaps a HV will come along and correct me if I'm wrong, but night time dryness is different to daytime. My DS was very late, and ended up with an alarm. GP and HV wouldn't do anything til he was 7, as already said, up to 7 is considered normal. I was told that there are 2 main factors: 1) waking up when you need a wee 2) apparently some kind of hormone kicks in at some point which reduces the amount of urine produced while we sleep. If he's really not ready, you're heading for a lot of washing and a frustrated child. I agree that just after starting school is not a good time to do this. You might however sit him down and have a chat about it, there's every chance it'll come out accidentally at school that he's not dry yet or a play-date will find his nappies/pull-ups. Just explain that it's not the same as wearing a nappy during the day, and there will be lots of other children in his class in the same boat.

louloutoo Mon 10-Sep-07 19:23:11

Hi.
Myself, a friend and my sister in law, we all just left it. Didn't say anything and waited until the nappies were dry at night. Then took them off. This was completely pain free. My daughter and my nephew were dry at night before they were 3, my friends daughter took much longer, she was almost 4. Good luck

louloutoo Mon 10-Sep-07 19:24:49

Forgot to add. My other nephew was over 5. I wouldn't worry about it.

dissle Mon 10-Sep-07 20:11:02

as usual you all make PERFECT sense smile
i thank you for your advice and for sharing your experience.

im going to leave it.

grin he is only a tiny wee baby yet, only just 4 and at school. bless him.

chipkid Mon 10-Sep-07 20:20:33

my ds was 4.5 when I got rid of his nappies at night. He was always soaking wet in the morning-but it transpired that he would wake-climb out of bed-stand with his legs apart and wee in his nappy before climbing back into bed-I decided that if he could do that he could go to the loo. He has never had an accident (now 6)

So try and feel his nappy before he wakes n the morning if possible as a wet nappy in the morning doesn't necessarily mean that he cannot go through.

dissle Mon 10-Sep-07 20:21:30

hehehe, cheeky little chippy hey! smilesmile

chipkid Mon 10-Sep-07 20:25:43

dissle there are many more examples of this sort of behaviour! he is a wily little fox my ds!

dissle Mon 10-Sep-07 20:27:21

mine too!
the potty training one was the best, made lots of people laugh on here...i was not impressed.

i love that i have a "spirited" child!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now