Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I want to buy a lerge number of reusable wipes, what sort, how many & from where?

(36 Posts)
Katymac Tue 04-Sep-07 20:33:27

I am about to trial reusable wipes for the minded children.

I have upto 9 under fives for 8-10 hours a day.

I currently use wipes for bums, wiping hands before snack, dirty faces, after meals and occasional spills

I will still use wipes for those smeared or explosive nappies - but want to replace the mildly grubby ones with reusables

So what should I buy?

How many for a fair trail?

How many will I need eventually?

Where from?

Do I just use water to wet them or do they need to be in a lotion/potion?

& while we are at it is Lavender & tea tree in water as an antibac spray? & if so in what proportions?

Thanks all

tissy Tue 04-Sep-07 20:34:21

Ikea

they do a pack of 10 flannels for next to nothing.

pinkspottywellies Tue 04-Sep-07 20:37:23

I cut up a piece of fleece from my mum's garage (you'd be able to get a metre from a fabric shop to cut into squares). I planned to use cammomile tea with them (store in a tupperware) and you can add a drop of tea tree oil but I usually just use plain water.

Katymac Tue 04-Sep-07 20:44:21

Flannels a good idea - quite big tho' (maybe?)

Does Fleece need hemming?

bagpuss Tue 04-Sep-07 20:45:12

I use Ikea flannels too. Just run them under the tap and use.

Weenotions.co.uk also do wipes where you can choose which fabrics to have on each side which seem like they might be good (I haven't tried).

Gingerbear Tue 04-Sep-07 20:49:11

fleece isn't absorbent though.
Go with the flannels from ikea - mine have been boiled to death and are still going strong.

I use a mix of chamomile tea, a squirt of baby bath and a few drops of olive oil in hot water to soak the wipes in.

Dunno about lavender/tea tree antibac though.

Katymac Tue 04-Sep-07 20:50:43

Are flannels too big tho'

wee notions £4 for 10 - seems quite expensive?

How much are the flannels again?

Chirpygirl Tue 04-Sep-07 20:50:52

I live miles from Ikea sad so I use fleece.
Buy a metre of cheapo fleece (I use coloured as it is easier to pick them out of the nappy wash!) and cut into squares, fleece doesn't need hemming so no sewing needed. I got about 60 wipes from 1 metre of fleece.

Either wet and squeeze out of wet skin with squirtie/spray bottle and wipe off.

Bonus of doing it this way is with my polar fleece the more you wash the more one side goes bobbly for really dirty bits and the other stays lovely and soft for nappy zones!

I also have a lockable lid bin (with those metal clips) from tesco that cost about 3 quid that I put all the wipes and bibs in as otherwsie nappy bin gets too full too fast.

Chirpygirl Tue 04-Sep-07 20:52:12

wet and sqeeze water out or wet skin and wipe off!

(BTW DD finds being squirted hilarious and the best part of a nappy change/meal!)

Katymac Tue 04-Sep-07 20:54:06

Liking the spray bottle idea (mindees will love it too) - do you use plain water?

Cappuccino Tue 04-Sep-07 20:54:11

I just got cheap flannels from the pound shop

anchovies Tue 04-Sep-07 20:55:17

Personally find fleece not rough enough! Another vote for the ikea flannels, I'd say they are exactly the right size, alot of my washable wipes are annoyingly too small

Katymac Tue 04-Sep-07 20:55:35

How many do you use a day (or per child per day?)

nappyzone Tue 04-Sep-07 21:09:09

instore or poundstretcher whatev you want ot call it do ten for £1 - water or soak in water and baby lotion if you want..... saves a bomb!

Miaou Tue 04-Sep-07 21:13:05

I use Ikea flannels but cut them into four and ran them through the sewing machine on an overlocking stitch (if you don't they fray to buggery!). You could just cut them in half instead, which would make them a similar size/shape to a disposable wipe. So from a pack of 10 facecloths I have 40 wipes. I have never come close to using them all and I have two in nappies currently. I find them more efficient at cleaning bums etc than fleece.

I also have a pack of cheap facecloths from the pound shop which I use for faces - pack of 6 for a pound.

Miaou Tue 04-Sep-07 21:15:30

In terms of how many I use - um ... usually two for a poo and one for a wet nappy, then facecloth for hands/face I just change daily, so one cloth does three meals (unless very messy!). So I guess 7 or 8 per child per day? (Dh however uses about four wipes per change so maybe I am just stingy! grin)

Katymac Tue 04-Sep-07 21:22:01

I can't multiuse as I can't store 9 damp flannels between meals without crosscontamination

So for a reasonable test I'm going to need about 90 (10 per child for 1 day) or realistically 225 for a week (wash twice a week? - oh forgot drying)

hmm

Chirpygirl Wed 05-Sep-07 07:31:36

I use plain water normally but do have a dilute baby shampoo mix on hand in case there is a need for more cleanser!

I didn't know instore do flannels, will go and have a look today, fleece isn't rough and does need scrubbing with sometimes but I can't get these ikea flannels everyone else raves about envy!
Fleece is okay for wet bums and not too dirty faces but for things involving tomato sauce and poo it takes a couple of goes over with new ones to clear IYSWIM.

Maybe a mix of the 2 would be a better for you?

Chirpygirl Wed 05-Sep-07 07:33:14

Oh,and fleece comes out of the machine virtually dry as it is so unabsorbent so no need to leave much drying time!

Katymac Wed 05-Sep-07 07:38:16

I think this is quite a high cost experiment - I'm going to have to have a think

It was such a good idea too

The storgae is also going to be a pain - where will I store 200 odd flannels?
Drying isn't too much of a problem (I have an under cover drying line - but I wonder how many is a full load of washing?

Chirpygirl Wed 05-Sep-07 07:51:54

Can't you do a smaller test?
Maybe just for lunchtime for a couple of days and see if it's worth getting more?
I keep mine in a plastic 3 drawer thing from argos, bottom is nappies, middle is wraps, liners and washable wipes and top is lotions, wet wipes (for when it really needs to be thrown!) and nappy sacks.

Katymac Wed 05-Sep-07 07:58:29

I guess

It's the washing that worries me plus the storage

Chirpygirl Wed 05-Sep-07 08:08:36

True, when it's only 20 or so wipes a time they get lost in with all the other nappy washing but in your situation it would probably be a full load, especially if you use flannels as well..
What do you use wet wipes for mostly? I can get away with one larger washable wipe for DD after meals instead of about 4 wet wipes so that's when I use them the most, would it be worth just getting a few, maybe one or 2 a child, to cover mealtimes, it would still save you money and then the washing would not be that much?

Or buy a mangle and scrubbing board and get the kids to wash them as a 'fun activity'?grin

<racks brain for others ways to help!>

Katymac Wed 05-Sep-07 08:18:31

1 wipe per child for snack (half wipe each end)
1 wipe per child for each meal (3 a day)
Nappies - maybe 1/2 wipes per nappy (8 a day?)

so 12 (ish) per child - some are now potty trained so much less

claireybee Wed 05-Sep-07 11:22:44

I got some packs of baby washcloths from pound shop and find them perfect. They are soft but still have the terry loops for getting off grime. I use one per nappy change-if its a pooey nappy i use loo roll to get off the poo and then the wipe to just clean afterwards. These then get washed in with the nappies. After meals i use normal flannels (raided my parents airing cupboard for all their old tatty ones!)and chuck em straight in the machine to get washed with whatever load of washing i happen to be doing!
I'm quite fussy tho in that i dont like washing nappies or bum wipes in with other washing (although i know that you can)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now