Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

When to start potty training to heal nappy??

(17 Posts)
loopybear Mon 03-Sep-07 20:12:03

DD has always suffered rash in her nappy area. Hips as well her bottom and front area. Dr said it would be much better when she was out of nappies. DD is now 13 months and despite all the perscriptions etc. Nothing seems to help. So I was wondering when would be the earliest I should try. CM is very supportive and suggested we have a potty around and put her on whenshe shows signs of pooing etc. Apparently she pooed twice on it today when CM tried her (more luck than judgement) Just wondered what others thought?

frazzledbutcalm Mon 03-Sep-07 21:01:40

Too early to potty train. You may learn to read signs and catch everything but thats different to training dd. Also if you start too early it is very common to then regress later. I'd try to find out the cause of nappy rash. I've never heard it being bad for this long. i tend to think dd could have some kind of food allergy and the protein is affecting her wee and poo. I'd get 2nd opinion off gp, and not leave til something constructive is going to be done to help you all.

BabiesEverywhere Tue 04-Sep-07 09:33:35

frazzledbutcalm, I was interested that you said if you start using a potty early then it is common to regress, have you seen a report somewhere on this as I would be very interested in seeing this ?

Loopybear, We had the same problem with nappy rash and our newborn daughter. We tried several prescription creams and yet she still had infected nappy rash and she screamed when she wee'd or poo'd...my heart would break for her.

We swapped to real nappies and introduced a potty by the time she was 10 weeks old and she has NEVER had nappy rash again.

Just keep offering her a potty and have plenty of nappy off time. Offer her the potty when she wakes, after a milk feed, on arrival and/or when leaving an location and when she is about to do a poo.

My DD is one year old and does 4/5 wees in a day plus a big poo once every two days on the toilet, she is often dry and always clean.

Potties/toilet insert seats rock

HTH

insywinsyspider Tue 04-Sep-07 10:56:10

we started ds on potty at 10mo (with advice from babieseverywhere!), he's now 15mo and does morning poo and wee in potty, and wee's in evening on potty, we're not so good in day as CM can't be as in tune with him as we are but she does put him on after lunch and when he wakes up from nap and sometimes he has his wee or poo in there instead of nappy. We don't offer it as much as we probably could but we're just trying to put the idea in his head at the moment.

I agree with frazzled that its too early to train but you can start to condition them into not wanting to sit in poo (its just a different way of helping them learn, there is a great passage in the baby whisper that says about how you encourage your baby to sit and stand before they can support themselves to show them how to strengthen the muscles and potty training/conditioning is the same thing) - since ds started walking 4 weeks ago he will fetch his potty if he wants a nappy change - sometimes before a poo or wee but most of the time just after it but thats so positive and can't say putting him on it the last 5 months has put him off using it - trick is not to leave them on too long, we did 5 mins max at first and if we have dirty nappy so be it but more poos in potty means less poo in my washing machine and less cleaning of his bum!

ds has had bad nappy rash if he has dirty nappy as he has cows milk intollerance, it was brought on by a d&v bug in february and is getting better but it gets worse if in disposables or if has dirty nappy for too long - since using potty a little sudocream is all he needs to sort it out

Anyway after that long post all I really wanted to say is I think you should give it a go whilst you try and work out what dd might be intollerant too sounds like its all started really positively, HTH

witchandchips Tue 04-Sep-07 11:00:54

agree with most of these posts. too early for potty training but not to early to have loads of nappy off time.

tutu100 Tue 04-Sep-07 13:23:22

Do you use disposable nappies. My ds always gets a rash when he has to wear a disposible. We normally use cloth, but whilst on holiday we used disposibles and his poor little bottom was so red, but it cleared up within 24hrs of being home and in his cloth nappies. I think if we didn't use cloth he would have awful nappy rash. I wouldn't have believed how much of a differnce they made if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

I was laways told by my HV though that whatever type of nappy you use you should let your child have as much nappy off time as possible. So I would just go with that and see what happens.

insywinsyspider Tue 04-Sep-07 15:41:22

I'm confused why is it too early to use a potty?
I'm not talking about 'training', babies around a year don't have the muscle control but sitting them on it at key points in the day when you know something will happen surely is a good thing, who would like sitting in poo if they didn't have too?

and before anyone gets all arguementative about it, I mean this as a geniue question not to start an arguement smile ds is 15 months and I have no idea when you should launch into training I'm just going with my instinct about using a potty with him for the time being and curious to hear others point of view

loopybear Tue 04-Sep-07 20:10:05

Thanks for all the posts. I have brought same potty as CM and we're going to get her famailar with potty I think. I use disposables as CM won't have DD in cloth. So we went with the eco disposables. I used to have DD with lots of nappy free time then all of sudden she start to scratch now she can get mittens off she'll scratch till she bleeds. Think I'll familarise and encourage the potty. I think next baby will use real nappies. Thanks again for advice

insywinsyspider Wed 05-Sep-07 22:31:48

is CM ofstead inspected? check with ofstead but I think that means they have to be willing to use reusables....
good luck with using potty

frazzledbutcalm Fri 07-Sep-07 19:43:52

Dont know if you're still watching this post spider, but - what you're doing with potty is great as it works for you. Baby books, GP and HV advise not to potty train too early because of later regression. I used to leave my dc with no nappies often throughout the day for half hour at a time, just to let their bum breathe!

insywinsyspider Fri 07-Sep-07 20:29:53

am still watching smile
it works great for us but this is dc 1 so am hoping no later regression... first time I've heard this so fingers crossed!

loopybear Fri 07-Sep-07 21:11:35

Spider CM is the best CM in the world with everything else. I'm guessing if I went to her and said it was the only option she'd do it, I think it's more she prefers not to but there out and about so often disposables makes life easier. She's given her lots of nappy free time has offeredDD the potty. Rash is much better.

insywinsyspider Sat 08-Sep-07 22:29:21

glad to hear rash is getting much better x

BabiesEverywhere Mon 10-Sep-07 23:21:51

-Baby books, GP and HV advise not to potty train too early because of later regression.

Oh right, the same sources which say that babies can't control their bladders...hmm Nothing to worry about then

BabiesEverywhere Mon 10-Sep-07 23:27:23

Interesting Article

miffin Thu 20-Sep-07 23:04:00

Hi Loopybear, I think it's definitely time to start introducing the potty as often as possible. It's totally immaterial whether you call this 'training' or whether you are just trying to catch stuff in the potty - it amounts to the same thing: less time in dirty nappies for your DD, which will be good for her nappy rash. Of course - she will also be learning good associations about toileting ... which might even be considered training ... Funny that if you try to toilet train / introduce potty before your child is about 2 you are viewed with so much suspicion nowadays.

I certainly intend to start introducing the potty when my little one is 9 months. This is the Baby Whisperer's advice - and she's hardly way out there with her wacky views.

horseymum Wed 26-Sep-07 14:01:07

would agree that it is never too early to introduce potty if child is happy and comfortable - what is the harm? ds was regularly doing a poo on the mat in the morning so just stuck him on the potty from about15 months. plan to start much earlier with dd. I found it strange that other people's kids were happy to run around with poo in their nappies when they were nearly 3! I guess every child is different though but anything that has them sitting in even one les poo/wee a day has got to be healthy, as long as you don't obsess about it and stress both of you out! I don't care if people say putting them on the potty at key points is not 'training'. hope the rash clears up whatever you decide to try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now