Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Using muslins and terries for a newborn

(20 Posts)
Chirpygirl Sun 02-Sep-07 21:21:55

I have been using cloth (fluffles) with DD since she was about 4months old but want to start using cloth as early as possible with the next one, due in 5 weeks.

I have muslins and can buy some terries but can't afford more nappies (I want to use fluffles for both) until christmas time.
SO what I need is handy hints for using muslins and terries with a newborn please!
I have some small velcro wraps but not many so need advice on best cheap wraps for a newborn as well (I use mostly motherease popper for DD)

ta!

laura032004 Mon 03-Sep-07 06:50:12

I found I went through a lot of wraps with terries as they're not good containment wise. Could you try and pick up some cheap 2nd hand nappies? I've used sz 1 Tots from birth with my two, and they were great. Or is there a nappy library or trial service you could try?

The nappylady website is good for different types of fold for terries.

primigravida Mon 03-Sep-07 07:20:18

See if your council offers vouchers towards the cost of reusable nappies or if it has a free nappy laundering trial (which includes nappies) like my council. I'm afraid I can't help with terries as I'm even newer to cloth nappies than you.

bagpuss Mon 03-Sep-07 08:14:15

We used terries and muslins (I put a tots booster in the centre too) and used an airflow wrap or sometimes a rikki over the top. I only had 3 wraps and managed fine. The trick with folded nappies is to tuck the fabric in around the legs and then you should get less leaks that way. If you are wanting new wraps then maybe try ebay for some junior joy finn wraps or some older style tots wraps as they seem to be cheap and should be reliable enough for the short time you will use them.

Chirpygirl Mon 03-Sep-07 09:14:41

Thanks guys, I do have junior joy wraps so am hoping they will do the job.

Unfortunately my council offers a £50 nappy voucher, but only to parents who have never used cloth before, and as I have been on the mailing list for the nappy network for a year I have been told I am not eligible even though they didn't do it when I joined the network. angry!!!

Any more ideas/hints/tricks?

rubik Mon 03-Sep-07 09:27:16

The nappylady website is great for folds. I used the Jo Fold which took a wee bit of getting used to, mainly to size it to my son.

The website also sells fleecy liners in packs of 10. These were fantastic. I think they cost £10 for a pack of 10, but you only need 1 pack. They dry soooo fast. They were helpful for the containment which was a problem, but would have been awful without them. I also needed quitye a few wraps.

Sorry for the waffle. Hope this is helpful.

claireybee Mon 03-Sep-07 11:36:42

I like the origami fold on tiny babies-it's difficult to master at first but easy when you know how! also second rolling the nappy in around the legs for containment

Chirpygirl Mon 03-Sep-07 17:11:42

What's the origami fold then? I have had a look on the nappylady website as that's where I got all my nappies and liners for DD but there are so many different folds it's difficult to choose one!

Also, is it true you can put BF baby poo in the washing machine? so I can use fleece liners and not have to worry about dumping down the loo?

bagpuss Mon 03-Sep-07 17:13:25

Yes you can, it is fine, honestly.

Chirpygirl Mon 03-Sep-07 17:19:23

Excellent! That's the best news I've heard all day!
I use flushable liners with DD when I know she is going to poo and put them in a nappy sack with the wipes I use, but if I don't have to do that with this next one it will save me a fortune in wipes!
Plus I don't fancy balancing BF poo filled nappy all the way upstairs to the bathroom, I know it'll go everywhere...ew

I only use 1 pack as week as it is and I resent that!

rubik Mon 03-Sep-07 19:38:05

I use DIY wipes too. The idea is from the nappy lady (again). One of their suggestions is Camomile and Honey teabags, brewed (so to speak) then poured over terry towelling squares in a plastic tub. Could only find Camomile Honey and Vanilla teabags (!!) but they make great wipes.

Tried making the suggestion with baby shampoo, oil and water mixed over kitchen towl, but found it rank.

Am starting to sound like a Blue Peter presenter!

bagpuss Mon 03-Sep-07 19:40:09

We also bought Ikea flannels in packs of 10 and have used those for the last 2 years. I just run them under the tap before I change and throw them in the bucket with the nappies.

nappyzone Mon 03-Sep-07 20:02:00

me too - making fancy potions lasted about a week and so now its just a wizz under the tap!

FlameBatfink Mon 03-Sep-07 20:10:14

Baby lotion (not oil), chamomile tea and boiling water are nice

FlameBatfink Mon 03-Sep-07 20:10:32

Obviously let the boiling water cool before wiping bum!!

Chirpygirl Mon 03-Sep-07 20:47:39

Oh don't get me wrong, I use washable wipes (cut up bits of polar fleece with either plain water or chamomile tea) but can't use them with pooey nappies, it's just not worth it as I have to traipse through 2 stairgates up stairs and along corridor to back of house, with DD wailing cos she can't follow me, to get to a loo to dispose of the shit, so twice a day the wet wipes come out!

But if I can wash newborn poo that will save me a fortune as I can carry on using my lovely fleece wipes!

I tried that kitchen towel suggetion from tehnappylady but it was gross, and you had to buy expensive kitchen towel, and it always went manky before you had finished it!
I use a travel shampoo bottle from tesco and just upend it and squirt on DD at change time, she loves it (the freaking weirdo!)

laura032004 Tue 04-Sep-07 07:35:21

DS2 is now 14m, so his poo is too solid to go straight in the washing machine. Instead I use liners made from cloth - cut up old t-shirts, sheets (old cot sheets are best), anything really. I make them nice and big so they cover the whole 'gusset' area of the nappy. Then if he poos, I just remove the whole liner and bin it. He poos once a day, so it's not much to bin really. About once a month I make up a new batch of liners when my pile is running down. If they're just wet, I wash with the nappies and reuse. I often pick up old cot sheets at nearly new sales and car boot sales for 20p or so, and they make about 12 liners, so they cost next to nothing. I did originally hem them up so they were nice and neat, but that's not essential, now I just cut and use

Also, I found when DS2 was a newborn, I changed him loads, often with just a wet nappy rather than pooey. I just stick these nappies in with normal washing. I know it's meant to reduce absorbency, but it worked out that sometimes they'd get washed with conditioner and sometimes not, and with terries I don't really think it made much difference. It meant the nappies got washed more regularly and the pile didn't build up as much!

claireybee Wed 05-Sep-07 11:29:31

Laura do you flush the poo before chucking the liner away? Why not wash the liners in with the nappies instead of throwing them away?

crimplene Thu 06-Sep-07 20:00:55

Chirpygirl, you can make fleece liners much more cheaply than buying them. the fleece is good becasue it keeps the wetness away from the bum. Just buy 1m of fleece - or a suitable garment from the local charity shop (max price a fiver) and then cut into rectangles, just like the wipes but bigger. Newborn poo soaks in and washes out, proper poo just falls off into the loo.

Cheap thin terries (from Mothercare) are better than expensive ones for a newborn as the fabric is thinner. I tried a thick 60cm Little Ewe one on DS on the day of his birth and there was just way more nappy than baby. I find them bomb-proof if you tuck the spare fabric at the legs in (I switched to terries for better conatinment when he had diarrhoea)

The only thing that put me off muslins was I couldn't get them to fasten with a nippa and I was not really keen to try nappy pins.

You could also try putting a plea on your local Freecycle for other nappies as a lot have come up on ours since eBay banned people from selling secondhand ones.

mummymagic Thu 06-Sep-07 20:08:24

Ikea do huge fleece blankets for about £1.50 I think. The wipes/liners from that have lasted us AGES. As I do the same as Lauralotsofnumbers (using any old thing as cloths) and chuck if it's too grim.

(PS the camomile tea concoction does look like old wee - think my mum thought I was really disgusting as she changed the water when I wasn't there!! blush)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now