Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Recurrent fungal nappy rash. Am I doing the right thing?

(18 Posts)
crimplene Mon 27-Aug-07 14:22:11

DS (15 mo) had a bad time last week - he'd had a slightly red looking penis for a while, but I'd applied Sudocreme and it seemed to be OK. I ran out of the stuff and was using Kamillosan instead and the whole thing got really bad: pus dripping from under foreskin and a very dramatic rash all over his lower body. He had antibiotics, and steroid/ antifungal cream from the doc and most of the rash cleared up. But unless I apply the cream several times a day, the redness under his foreskin comes back. Arrgh.

Took him to see a nurse who was sure it's fungal and so switched him into disposables for a bit. I boiled all the nappies after soaking with tea tree and have now started to use them again.

Would the same treatment (soak with tea tree, wash at 90) kill of the candida and stop him getting re-infected? Or do I need to stick with disposables? Or is there something else I can do to help him?

I'm taking him back to the doc this week as I feel like I'm only keeping it at bay and I'm not really happy putting steroid cream on him all the time

OriginalUglyBetty Mon 27-Aug-07 14:32:12

I should imagine a soak in tea tree/milton, hot wash, double rinse would sort the bacteria in the toweling.

They probably reccomended disposables as they can sometimes be slightly more quickly absorbing that the towelling type (so im told but other MN's Maybe able to advise you further on this)and have a dry feel top sheet keeping any moist urine etc away from the area whilst its still sensitive.

If you speak to the docs they can let you know what to use,why and how long for. But hope all is sorted for you soon

crimplene Mon 27-Aug-07 14:50:57

Thanks OUB - I could add Milton to the soaking solution if it would help. Bacteria don't seem to be the issue (although the last doc we saw covered all bases by giving him antibiotics as well). The Doc I saw last suggested that if it recurred, DS should be circumcised. Not at all keen on the idea so I'd like to do everything possible to stop this. I have had recurrent thrush for the last 10 years, so I don't have a great record of knowing how to get rid of fungal infections.

juuule Mon 27-Aug-07 14:52:32

I'd continue with the anti-fungal for a while even when the rash disappears as fungal infections can be stubborn.
If you put vinegar in the rinse or even soak your nappies in a mild vinegar solution it should get rid of thrush(or other fungal stuff) on them as they die in acidic conditions.
Tea tree also has antifungal properties but I've sometimes found it a bit harsh and that it can cause a rash by itself.
Lavendar oil is also antifungal but milder, if that's any help.
You shouldn't need to use disposables if you don't want to.

juuule Mon 27-Aug-07 14:54:49

Just a bit of something for yourself. It can help to have a glass of water with a dash of lemon juice in it once a day, it raises the acidity of your urine so clearing thrush out from the inside out.

OriginalUglyBetty Mon 27-Aug-07 15:02:10

Not sure if it is milton these days. You need a soft antibacterial nappy soak as some babies can be allergic or sensitive to tea tree

Likethis
http://www.babykind.co.uk/nappyessentials.htm#sanitizer

You dont always have to use the above but would make sure all is removed.

Wash on a hot wash with non bio powder and do a dbl rinse if you have one on your machine, as this will remove any excess powder from the fabrics.

Only other thing would be lots of fresh air to the area and plenty of nappy changes.

You probably knew all this anyway but all i can think of x smile

juuule Mon 27-Aug-07 15:06:45

I don't think an antibacterial will get rid of fungal infections. You need to use something antifungal.
Sunshine (uv rays) kill off fungus,too.

glucose Mon 27-Aug-07 15:15:23

canesten cream ( over the counter at chemists) for fungal nappy rash as Original UglyBetty posts for nappys. Plus out dry on line as soon as wash machine unlocks
Bad luck
We used cloth on our dd -no nappy rash at all
Hope it clears up soon

crimplene Mon 27-Aug-07 15:52:20

Thanks. We've never had any serious nappy rash before. OK will try to dry outdoors and add vinegar to soaking solution. I'm pretty confident that the tea tree isn't causing any probs as the rash pre-dated me using it, and I'd used it in the past with no ill effects on DS. I just want to be sure that the nappies aren't making things worse.

The cream we're using is Canesten Hydrocortisone (sp?). It has lots of dire warnings about not using on chilrden under 10 and not using for too long and not using on mucous membranes (does under the foreskin count as mucous membrane?), but it was prescribed for DS. Might try switching to normal Canesten, just until we can see another doc, as I think the idea behind the steroid bit was in case it was an allergic reaction.

juuule Mon 27-Aug-07 16:12:04

The steroid would also reduce inflammation. So if the rash was badly inflamed the hydrocortisone would settle it quickly. If it's not too inflamed now, I would use the normal Canestan and keep the other just in case.

EricL Mon 27-Aug-07 16:17:06

We had a similar issue when we were just about to start potty training with our youngest. It started off as nappy rash but got fungal soon after cos of the area it's in and the lack of air and high moisture.

It got a hold very quickly and because the doc didnt spot it was fungal at first it gave her nasty sores, lost some nails and hair too. Just keep on with the anti-fungal creams and try to get as much air to him as poss - altough this is difficult with a wee one who will pee of course.

glucose Mon 27-Aug-07 19:46:46

If rash not getting better with canestan/ canestan hc after 10 days use, see Dr
hopefully a nice one

msappropriate Mon 27-Aug-07 19:48:13

my son has got this and is in disposables. The dr prescribed canestan and said to keep using it a week after it had gone too, to make sure it doesn;t come back.

crimplene Mon 27-Aug-07 21:38:20

EricL That sounds scary! I hope your DD got better quickly. I've been mopping up lots of wee and some poo from the floor to give him some time without the nappy on. Maybe I'll just keep going with the Canesten for a bit before rushing back to the doctors. Thanks so much everyone for all the advice.

curlywurlycremeegg Tue 28-Aug-07 10:50:09

the rash may have got better with the antifungal cream but with your DS having taken antibiotics at the time this will have played havoc with his gut flora and could be why the fungal infection persists. The hot wash ans sunshine will help with the nappies. Nappy free time will help his bottom. You could try Daktarin which you can buy ove the counter for fungal infections in babies (make sure you say it's for his bottom or you may end up with the oral gel!) and I would try a supplement could acidophillus, you can buy it from health food shops, that promoptes healthy gut flore and wards off yeast infections. They come in big dobbing capsules, just open oneand sprinkle it into youg or somehing else that your DS will eat

Laura032004 Tue 28-Aug-07 11:35:19

He's not bf is he?

Depending on the type of nappies, I find a blast in the microwave is good for making sure they're clear of bugs.

for you - DS1 and I had recurring thrush for his first 6 months, and it wasn't fun. We kept passing it between us as I'm prone to it anyway - hence the bf question.

Also look at the info on foods to avoid when you've got a fungal infection - think sugars, yeasts etc are on the list.

crimplene Tue 28-Aug-07 18:56:39

Yes, he's bf - but it's only the other end with the fungal infection at the moment. We don't have a microwave now, but could get another if nothing else seems to work. I did try an anti-candida diet year ago which did work fairly well, but would be far too draconian for DS, and me at the moment as I'm still permanently hungry.

Desiderata Tue 28-Aug-07 19:01:08

Foods high in zinc can also help. Assuming he has no nut allergy, try him with smooth peanut butter, for instance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now