Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Gina Ford's Potty training book, any good?

(23 Posts)
MyMILisDoloresUmbridge Fri 24-Aug-07 20:24:32

Am not a big fan of her Contented...etc books but am wondering if anyone has tried her potty training book? Don't consider myself v. good at potty training as ds1 took a year and I left ds2 till he was well over 3!

juuule Fri 24-Aug-07 20:28:48

Do your ds1 and ds2 use the toilet? If yes, then you've already done it twice. Why do you need a book?

madmarchhare Fri 24-Aug-07 20:30:35

No

SIL bought it anyway, two weeks later, she said I was right.

Loopymumsy Fri 24-Aug-07 20:30:54

Message withdrawn

lullamay Fri 24-Aug-07 20:31:03

I own it & am not convinced. I find the title depressing as it soooo does not apply to us. Have been training for 2 months & still issues with poos.

No doubt if my DS had GF as a nanny he would be sorted in 1 week.

ProfYaffle Fri 24-Aug-07 20:37:38

I've got it. Thought the basics were good, has some sound advice but then so do Cod's boot camp threads! Agree about the hectoring tone and timescale is ridiculous. Dd1 was potty trained in 3 days and this book still made me feel like a failure.

LadyTophamHatt Fri 24-Aug-07 20:37:51

I can absolutley gaurantee, 100% without a shadow of a doubt none of your child will have read that book.
Or any book from any so called child guru for that matter.

Just follow you OWN childs lead, not a made up one in a book.

LadyTophamHatt Fri 24-Aug-07 20:38:44

<tut>
none of your children

bran Fri 24-Aug-07 20:39:32

I read it and didn't think it was much use. None of the techniques worked with ds, and he just got stressed out.

NadineBaggott Fri 24-Aug-07 20:41:32

there's no easy way, you just have to persevere.

DD left the dgss quite late (nearly 3) and they got it more or less straight away.

I did mine around age 2 with lifting at night and all that palaver but it was worth it.

foxybrown Fri 24-Aug-07 20:46:06

Thats a no here too. I got on with her routine book, but not the potty book. felt it complicated things.

MerlinsBeard Fri 24-Aug-07 20:47:55

threw The Routine in the bin, read potty training and put it back on the shelf.

MyMILisDoloresUmbridge Fri 24-Aug-07 22:02:08

juuule, LOL, ds1 and ds2 are 11 and 9 and do use the toilet! But "other peoples children" seemed to get it so much more quickly than mine so I just wondered if I was doing something wrong.
Thanks everyone for sensible replies. Will not be buying it!grin

littlemissbossy Fri 24-Aug-07 22:07:37

Are we allowed to talk about Gina Ford??? didn't think we were or has the ban been lifted?

chocolatepig Fri 24-Aug-07 22:09:19

I've never read any of her other books but I bought this one, did what it suggested and my daughter (2.3) was toilet trained in a week(didn't bother with potty, she hated it) so yes, I would say it's good. She tells me when she needs to go (I don't plonk her on the loo at set times, that's not trained IMHO)

littlemissbossy Fri 24-Aug-07 22:16:11

Forget what I said, no ban in place these days - see mumsnet statement about the lovely Ginawink
Mumsnet is pleased to announce that the site has reached a settlement of the long-running dispute with Gina Ford, and that Gina Ford has agreed not to pursue legal action against mumsnet.com or their ISP.
Mumsnet will no longer bar discussion of Ms Ford’s books and methods but will not tolerate personal attacks on her. Mumsnet urges all its members to remain civil and fair towards Gina Ford and indeed any other individual in line with the site’s abuse policy.
Mumsnet apologises to Gina Ford for the comments made about her by some mumsnet users, and has made a contribution to Gina Ford’s legal costs.

Skyler Fri 24-Aug-07 22:27:52

I hated it.

smellymelly Fri 24-Aug-07 22:47:29

Haven't read her book, but have just potty trained my 2.5 boy girl twins, which I was dreading!! Just take off their nappies and go for it... we tried toilets first coz I hat potties, but had to switch to the potty after about 5 days, as were too scared to poo on the toilet. Lots of praise, and sweets and chocolate - but it only took 2 weeks, and now dd2 is having 2 dry nights to 1 wet one!!

UniSarah Fri 24-Aug-07 22:49:30

I've read it and decided no to get a copy when the time comes. IMHO it sets you up to feel a failure if you child isn't actully ready to train. I'm sure it works fine if your child is " READY, mc Ready" and verbal and knows whats going on in their nappy.

ItsPotatoesForYouMyLad Fri 24-Aug-07 22:51:13

MyMILisDoloresUmbridge - I'm like you, not a contented fan, but the potty training routine totally worked for ds. We did it just over 3y. He was totally sorted by day3 and has never looked back.

I'd say go for it.

MyMILisDoloresUmbridge Fri 24-Aug-07 22:52:08

Ds3 is in cloth nappies and does seem to be aware of what goes on in the nappy. Not sure how good he'll be at pre-empting though!

wheelybug Fri 24-Aug-07 22:52:57

I was recommended it but I think it may have been this sort of approach which has given dd a mental block about sitting on toilet/potty. I wonder if it may work with children around the age of 2 (which many of the case studies are based on) but not if they're a bit older (and exceedingly stubborn !).

MyMILisDoloresUmbridge Fri 24-Aug-07 22:57:29

Hmmm, ds3 is very very stubborn. Didn't take a bottle easily when I was about to go back to work and is not very biddable. But I don't think he'll be any better a year from now! The one thing is, though, that he HATES being in wet clothes. Ds1 would have been happy to sit in sodden stinky clothes all day! Ds3 loves playing in the kitchen sink but insists on being changed if his top gets a bit wet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now