Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Ds seems to have decided to use the toilet, but not sure what to do re: toilet training

(10 Posts)
Mumpbump Thu 23-Aug-07 14:28:34

18 month old ds has been fascinated by the toilet flush for a while and when dh asked him if he wanted to go to the toilet, managed to pee in it on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings - standing with his feet on the bowl rim and legs akimbo! We weren't expecting him to take it into his head to do this at his age so I feel completely unprepared for it.

Given that he has shown a preference for the toilet, I am reluctant to try and get him to use a potty, but what stuff should I get for him? I am guessing maybe one of those wee toilet seats and a step to stand on. Is that it? Should I start putting him in pull-up nappies - he's not very good at taking his bottoms off, but is presently trying - or leave him in the normal nappies for the time-being? Any recommendations of books which give good practical advice?

TIA...

MatNanPlus Thu 23-Aug-07 16:49:25

you could try pants/boxers for 2/3 or 3/4yo for a baggie fit and be prepared for accidents.

Offer the loo every 30mins.

All the best.

Tranquila Thu 23-Aug-07 22:25:38

i have found that the weeuns have not enjoyed the miniseat things as they are loose and move a bit and make them feel insecure (well, thats my analysis anyway!)
i now have one of these on each loo, and have instructed the world to leave them in 'toddler mode' at all times... along with a step thingy, and they seem to be a success.
4yo and 3yo happily using them, and even 19mo v interested.

re; the pull ups... i had all mine in pullups as soon s they were big enough anyway, just because they were such wrigglers... i would say yes, esp if hes trying to pull em down. perhaps, some reusable trainign pants? they will take one liquid 'accident', and contain apoo for a v short time... an option.

Tiggerish Thu 23-Aug-07 22:28:46

We found the Baby Bjorn seats really good cos they can be adjusted to fit and don't move around.

(I'm with Tranquila on the pull-ups btw)

Mumpbump Fri 24-Aug-07 11:11:47

Thanks! Will try the pull-ups and have a look at Baby Bjorn. Otherwise, guess we'll be investing in one of those double seats! Fingers crossed...

MatNanPlus Fri 24-Aug-07 12:13:46

Drawback of pull ups is they can contain a lot of accidents where as reusuable training pants will help DS to recognise the signal before it has happened.

Mumpbump Fri 24-Aug-07 12:21:41

He did a poo in his nappy this morning and I could tell straightaway 'cos he suddenly got really upset. My problem is that I work at the moment, but am going on maternity leave shortly so will be dealing with ds and his accidents as well as a new-born... What timing!!

MatNanPlus Fri 24-Aug-07 12:31:27

he could well be dry by then mumpbump

Mumpbump Fri 24-Aug-07 12:35:10

He has come home from nursery the last two evenings with a bone-dry nappy and had a "proper" wee, like a full-on one, at home. I guess I'll see how he goes over the weekend and, as suggested, keep offering the toilet to him every half hour. If his nappy stays pretty dry, maybe I'll go for the training pants, at least for days when he's at home... Why does everything with babies have to be so complicated?!?!?

MatNanPlus Fri 24-Aug-07 17:56:30

He sounds like he has the right idea mumpbump.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now