Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Disposable nappies are unhygenic

(118 Posts)
Dodaday Sun 19-Aug-07 09:35:50

I think disposable nappies are very unhygenic, having just returned from a holiday complex where I witnessed parents putting rolled up used nappies outside their chalets, only sometimes in a bag. Even some of the litter bins were full of them. The satisfying thing about using terry nappies, is that when I change a dirty one, the poo and liners go straight down the loo where it is supposed to go, and not into a landfill site, the thought of which makes me crynge! I wonder how many people using disposables scrape the poo down the loo first? I suppose it's possible to use a liner with a disposable nappy, but I don't know anyone who does, it's never mentioned, and the manufacturer's don't suggest it.

belgo Sun 19-Aug-07 09:37:59

dodaday - they should wrap up the nappies well first.

I used washable nappies, but disposible ones on holiday. What are thery supposed to do on holiday?

fleacircus Sun 19-Aug-07 09:40:21

Read yesterday that it's actually illegal in the UK to send 'fecal matter' to landfill, which includes disposables that haven't been scraped.

scienceteacher Sun 19-Aug-07 09:40:43

All nappies are unhygienic, especially if you leave them lying around in the streets!

Nbg Sun 19-Aug-07 09:40:49

But not everyone wants to use reusable nappies.
They are only as unhygenic as you make them.

belgo Sun 19-Aug-07 09:42:33

On one holiday I took washable nappies, but the washing machine didn't wash them properly, and I was left with soppy, grey nappies.

Much rather take disposibles on holiday.

aloha Sun 19-Aug-07 09:43:50

Of course it's not illegal to put nappies in the bin!

Cappuccino Sun 19-Aug-07 09:46:33

my friend thinks I'm mad when I stay at her house and pop the poo from disposables into the loo before putting them in the bin

It is apparently so much more normal to leave a load of crap outside the house in a wheelybin for a fortnight

belgo Sun 19-Aug-07 09:47:24

fleacircus was making the point that it's illegel to send feacal matter to the landfill - thhat presumably includes nappies that haven't been scrapped first.

belgo Sun 19-Aug-07 09:48:15

I am surprised how much disposable nappies stink, even without the poo.

But for holidays, they are great.

FrannyandZooey Sun 19-Aug-07 09:50:21

Yes, it's illegal to put human waste (including poo in nappies) in the bin.

aloha Sun 19-Aug-07 09:50:39

But fleacircus is just plain wrong. It isn't illegal.

FrannyandZooey Sun 19-Aug-07 09:52:01

It is.

belgo Sun 19-Aug-07 09:56:21

poo should go down the toilet to the sewage treatment plants. It's illegal to send it to the landfill.

Off to google proof.

aloha Sun 19-Aug-07 09:58:13

No, actually, it isn't. It is a myth. You won't find a single source to say it is. Don't you think local councils in charge of waste collections might mention this when trying to promote cloth nappies? Or that the fiercely anti-disposables real nappy sites might also mention it if it was true?
It is not true.
You might hate disposable nappies. You might think they revolting and environmentally unsound, but it's not illegal to put them in the bin.

belgo Sun 19-Aug-07 10:01:06

I don't hate disposible nappies. No one is saying it's illegal to put them in the bin. I don't find them revolting, at least no more revolting then washable nappies

DontlookatmeIamborrrring Sun 19-Aug-07 10:04:59

It's not the disposable nappies that are unhygenic it's the people not disposing of them properly!!

aloha Sun 19-Aug-07 10:05:32

Actually several people have said it is illegal to put pooey nappies in the bin, but it isn't. Smelly and horrid, probably, but illegal, no.

fleacircus Sun 19-Aug-07 10:06:37

Really, it is. Not to throw disposables in bin, only if you haven't flushed the poo off them.

aloha Sun 19-Aug-07 10:06:40

And if it was illegal to send pooey nappies to landfill (which it isn't), then the council would be responsible, not the householder.

aloha Sun 19-Aug-07 10:07:22

No it isn't illegal. YOu cannot find a single source to say it is, can you?

aloha Sun 19-Aug-07 10:07:45

It isn't illegal to put cat litter in the bin either.

belgo Sun 19-Aug-07 10:09:58

fleacircus, where did you read it? can you do a link?

I'm getting bored of trawling through a load of directives on poo

fleacircus Sun 19-Aug-07 10:11:20

Am desperately searching for the article now! It specifically refers to 'fecal matter' which would include poo wrapped up in a nappy. Because if it goes to landfill it can then pollute water sources.

JeremyVile Sun 19-Aug-07 10:15:27

Disposable nappies are fab!!

You can just whip 'em off and lob 'em out the window....,its great.

I always think its horribly unhygienic to run fecal matter through my washing machine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now