Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Should I start potty training a few weeks before no 2 comes along?

(10 Posts)
sillysillysally Tue 14-Aug-07 21:19:26

I'm due our second in a month and DS has just turned 2. Every evening we have an hour or so with his nappy off and he will quite happily go and sit on potty and do a wee. He's occasionally asked for the potty when he has a nappy on and done a wee but no sign of any poos yet!
I wasn't planning on potty training for a while but as he can do a wee on the potty I'm wondering whether to leave it longer may confuse him? However, I'm petrified of the prospect of dealing with a new baby and potty training a 2 year old at the same time.

mazzystar Tue 14-Aug-07 21:25:00

i was in your situation, and lazily i decided to leave it as i couldn't face the prospect avf a not quite reliably potty trained toddler whilst breastfeeding a newborn ie constantly. also read somewhere, not sure if true, that its best not attempted 3 months befvre or after a major life change.....gave me the excuse i needed. i left it until dd was 5 months and ds got the hang of it it 10 days.

otoh, its brilliant not having to change 2 sets of pooey nappies.

oregonianabroad Tue 14-Aug-07 21:27:08

agree with mazzystar as have had similar experience. keep working with him but don't force anything. it's too much for you to cope with if he starts demanding a toilet while you're struggling with newborn, imo.

funnypeculiar Tue 14-Aug-07 21:30:21

agree too - ds gave us loads of signals just before dd was born (25 mths) ... we put him off. I actuially found potty training bloody exhausting - plus lots of older sibs regress when the second one comes along (in various ways) - didn't fancy potty training twice!!

dontwanttogetoutofbed Tue 14-Aug-07 21:30:43

i was really worried about moving dd1 out of our bed before dd2 came, which i kept delaying until 2 wks before the arrival of dd2. it worked anyways. i found out that thinking that dd1 would be affected by dd2 was all in my head. my dd1 is so self centered (like most toddlers) and she found potty training, new bed, nursery, her toys etc to be entirely centered around herself and she found completely separate time and place for emotions in dealing with dd2.
you might as well try....

oregonianabroad Tue 14-Aug-07 21:33:37

still think you should let him take the lead tho and save the real 'training' wait till well after the upheaval of new baby.

sillysillysally Tue 14-Aug-07 21:37:26

Thanks guys- the consensus seems to be leave it a while which is exactly what I wanted to hear!

BirdyArms Tue 14-Aug-07 21:44:01

I would give it a go. He sounds to be at a similar stage to my ds2 was when I tried it, not really expecting it to be successful, and it went really smoothly. We had no sign of poos until he started but he was doing them in the potty after a couple of days. I think it's not a bad thing to do whilst heavily pregnant, you're probably not going to be going far and it might be a while before you can face it again with a newborn. I really think it's better to do it when he's showing some interest - my friend's little girl was potty obsessed a couple of weeks ago put she left it and now is having problems getting her to show any interest.

BirdyArms Tue 14-Aug-07 21:44:36

Whoops sorry, I'm a bit off message there!

MerlinsBeard Tue 14-Aug-07 21:46:51

i wouldn't. i waslucky with ds1 and he trained pretty easily in a few days. i tried before ds2 was born but was to big and cross to do it properly. did in the november after DS2 was born (in april) so ds2 was more settled and i couod focus more on ds1;s needs

worked for me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: