Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

So I am thinking about using reusables...

(18 Posts)
bumperlicious Mon 13-Aug-07 17:34:00

Sorry to go over old ground

DD is nearly 8 weeks and the guilt is setting in so I am thinking about switching to reusable nappies. Can you make any recommendations? What do I need to know? The only problem is I don't have a lot of money for a huge initial outlay. Any advice?

asur Mon 13-Aug-07 17:38:54

I would recommend terries as they are cheap to buy and very adjustable for all sizes, all you need to buy is different size wraps... Check with your local council though as some have incentive schemes and offer a 'sample' type pack with different kinds to try.

asur Mon 13-Aug-07 17:39:33

oh, and good luck! you won't go back to disposibles once you've switched!

Pixiefish Mon 13-Aug-07 17:41:14

contact your local council and ask if they have a cashback scheme.

NAB3 Mon 13-Aug-07 17:42:34

Go to www.thenappylady.co.uk and fill in the questionnaire. She will send tailormade advice to what will suit you best. If you live in a relevant area you will get £30 off the cost of the nappies and they also have a selling and wated board so you can pick up vgc nappies for a good price.
I reccomend tots bots, little lambs and fuzzi bunz with minki huggles for night time. HTH.

Pixiefish Mon 13-Aug-07 17:43:33

the voucher scheme varies from council to council- it's £70 here

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Mon 13-Aug-07 17:55:56

prefolds are good as can be used in all mannor or different ways! why dont you seek out FLame shes brill at advice, she has her ow webpage but i cant remember what it is! sorry

LizaRose Mon 13-Aug-07 17:57:05

Zip from the council here .
Afraid I didn't find the Nappy Lady questionnaire that helpful, they seem to recommend tots bots and motherease wraps to nearly everyone. More useful to read through a few threads on here and follow the links (if you have time!)

LizaRose Mon 13-Aug-07 17:58:21

Flame's site

FlameBatfink Mon 13-Aug-07 18:05:55

feel free to email bumfluffnappies at gmail dot com - it is normally easier to do the advice over email as you can fire questions back and forth better.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Mon 13-Aug-07 18:08:19

there she is! she'll sort you out!!!

FlameBatfink Mon 13-Aug-07 18:59:19

Feel like I should be rubbing my hands and sayin "come over 'ere darlin"

nappyzone Mon 13-Aug-07 19:21:56

oh i wont give you my blarb then if you have been 'flamed' but im in the small business ads under nappyzone with others if you desire a browse. Good luck with your search for perfect fluff!

puffylovett Mon 13-Aug-07 19:25:10

i use a nappy service - £9 per week, they supply me 70 prefolds and 6 wraps, they take away all the dirty nappies once a week and supply me with new ones - i think it's brilliant and couldn't recommend it highlu enough. cost is comparable over the life to disposables but it's eco friendly and best of all i'm not up to my elbows washing shitty nappies ! i use nappiesforreal.com but there's plenty of other services out there.

Newcastle under lyme council offers a £30 incentenive cashback if u use reusables

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Mon 13-Aug-07 19:28:49

pufflovelet, i didnt know it could be that cheap! i should have done that!!!!

puffylovett Mon 13-Aug-07 22:04:52

never too late... sell your nappies on ebay and make a bit of cash into the bargain !

ecoqueen Tue 14-Aug-07 14:45:29

Hi I run the real nappy scheme in West London have access to about 30 mums all using real nappies jvaughan@doctors.org.uk

I can suggest some great ideas to get you started and send you soem stuff we give mums on our scheme to get you started. Dont make any money out of it so no commercial interest! Email me as above contact anytime

Jenny

FlameBatfink Tue 14-Aug-07 18:05:49

That sounds really interesting... can I email you too? Intrigued to hear more about your set up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now