Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Do you absolutely HAVE to use a potty, to potty train, can't I just take him upstairs and plonk him on the loo?

(23 Posts)
MamaG Mon 13-Aug-07 12:12:07

?

BabiesEverywhere Mon 13-Aug-07 12:14:14

No reason why not. My DD currently prefers the big toilet to a potty.

curlywurlycremeegg Mon 13-Aug-07 12:15:27

that would be the best solution, I just can't be arsed with the trek upstairs with a toddler needind a wee and a small baby , would be much better as no potty to empty

anniemac Mon 13-Aug-07 12:16:47

Message withdrawn

MamaG Mon 13-Aug-07 12:17:45

Thats what I thought - DS has finally FINALLY conceded to potty trainign but insists he will use the loo like DD! (oh and purple pants only, but he might have to whistle for htat one!)

JackieNo Mon 13-Aug-07 12:17:53

Definitely a possibility, if he'll go for it. Emptying potties gets very tedious very quickly. Did you find any purple pants? And how was the wedding at the weekend (it was this weekend, wasn't it)? Hope it went well.

Slubberdegullion Mon 13-Aug-07 12:18:09

We had to swiftly move from potty training to big loo training after dd1 got her potty stuck on her head (was one of the commode ones). She didn't sit on a potty for a long time after that, but seemed quite happy to contine doing her business on the loo from then on.

JackieNo Mon 13-Aug-07 12:18:12

Ah, X post.

MamaG Mon 13-Aug-07 12:19:14

wedding update!!

I'm on one last look around today for purple pants, else its giong to be blue and hard luck!

littleboo Mon 13-Aug-07 12:21:05

Think you can use toilet just the same as potty. Probably in some ways a better idea as you have to change over sometime.... not many 10 year old still on the pot

MamaG Mon 13-Aug-07 12:22:33

thats what i was thinking! how did you know my DS was 10?

MamaG Mon 13-Aug-07 12:23:26

(he isn't really )

dissle Mon 13-Aug-07 12:25:08

its speed rather than convenience.
when they are training they need to go NOW for 80% of the time and may not make it to the loo in time.
i suppose that you are training them to hold it till they get to the loo, it could just be expecting too much at first.

however if you do it cods way, then you take them every half hour/hour to the loo any way so you are not waitng for them to tell you, you are controlling it.
thats the only down side that i can think of.

MamaG Mon 13-Aug-07 12:26:27

oh yes good point. I was thinking about taking him every half hour and plonking him on! I can be in my bathroom in about 10 seconds if he needs to go noooow - is that too long to wait? wold you advise a back up potty?!

dissle Mon 13-Aug-07 12:27:49

but then i only have one loo in my house and its upstairs so it was a treck, if you are posh and have more than one and one of them is downstairs then it should be ok

MamaG Mon 13-Aug-07 12:28:17

(am not posh! Just upstairs loo)

dissle Mon 13-Aug-07 12:29:28

i did, i did the majority of training on the loo but had an emergency potty waiting.

also if they are busy playing you may have a fight on your hands getting them to the loo, if you plonk the potty down where they are, much easier.

dont want to start fights or you may just go back 10 steps with it.

dissle Mon 13-Aug-07 12:30:33

another top tip, dont ASK them if they want to go, tell them its time, keep it to every half hour at first.

littleboo Mon 13-Aug-07 12:32:38

no, only joking too
try with a pot as well .... do both depending on where you are.
What will you do if out, take a travel pot ( not always easy to find a loo where there isn't a queue ( except the boys..... could go barging in there shouting emergency!!)

littleboo Mon 13-Aug-07 12:33:37

Are you starting today.... come on join in potty land!!

MamaG Mon 13-Aug-07 12:38:19

i'm starting on thursday - good point about beign out and about with potty etc

Think I'll get one today

anniemac Mon 13-Aug-07 13:16:39

Message withdrawn

makesachange Wed 15-Aug-07 13:50:22

I'm definately into getting them used to both. I would take them every 1/2 hour to the toilet, but have a potty handy as well, and of course if they're willing you can encourage them to sit on the potty if and when they have telly time which can be useful to get them used to the idea of going out of a nappy.

Or that can backfire as DS now sometimes wets himself on the sofa - I think he decided that he could "just go" if he's watching Fifi and the Flippin Flowertots, potty or otherwise hehe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now