Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

dry versus wet pailing, advice overload???

(14 Posts)
liahgen Mon 13-Aug-07 12:11:28

Right ladies, you've been fab so far,
Which is best and how do i go about dry pailing then?
thank you. x

preggersagain Mon 13-Aug-07 12:19:24

line the bucket with a net, chuck the nappies in- no water/sanitiser etc, put the lid on!! thats it!!

on wash day run a cold rinse cycle before the actual wash, half detergent and a few drops of essential oil if you fancy!

preggersagain Mon 13-Aug-07 12:20:18

forgot to say most manufacturers reccomend dry pailing as the water and sanitiser damages nappies especially the elastic.

TooTicky Mon 13-Aug-07 12:21:44

I started with wet-pailing, then switched to dry. Less smell with dry but the poo remnants dry and stick a bit.

lailasmum Mon 13-Aug-07 12:22:08

I prefer dry pailing as there is less mess. No heavy wet nets to drain and it seems to make no difference to the cleanliness of the nappies in the long run. It also means you don't have buckets of water around the house which isn't exactly safe with small children.
To dry pail just put a few drops of tea tree oil in the bottom of the bucket add the laundry net and then add nappies as needed. You may want to add a few more drops of tea tree part way up the bucket. Then when you come to wash run a cold rinse before your main wash. Then wash as normal. Poo is a protein stain so if you hot wash it without a cold rinse first it you will fix it. Though if you are lining the nappies properly then you shouldn't have a problem with dealing with poo.

liahgen Mon 13-Aug-07 12:24:52

so, let me see, I have a 14wk baby and dry pailing is good for breastfed poo?
I use fleece liners, so don't even need to rinse them? Have i got that right, even the really messy ones?

Sorry to sound bit thick, have been wet pailing but obviously want to prolong life of my nappies, etc etc
Thanks ladies,

Cappuccino Mon 13-Aug-07 12:28:52

I usually wiggled the pooey liners about in the loo while flushing

(holding them gingerly with tip of finger and thumb)

iyswim

sleepycat Mon 13-Aug-07 12:30:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lailasmum Mon 13-Aug-07 12:49:54

Well if the fleece liners are really bad it may be worth giving them a swish in the toilet or under the flush if they are particularly sticky but I wouldn't worry too much as the machine will take care of it. Fleece liners don't stain but it is worth getting as much poo of the liners as you can just so its not in your bucket smell wise. When you baby is eating 'solids' you'll need to swish off or allow the more solid pooh to fall off into the toilet.

SeamonstEr Mon 13-Aug-07 12:53:22

dry pail, sorry I only use the fleeces at night because of the problem with poo
i pre rinse in white vinegar before washing.

NAB3 Mon 13-Aug-07 13:00:06

I started with wet pailing as didn't know any different. Began dry pailing with baby number 3 in washables and it is so much better!!

laundrylover Mon 13-Aug-07 13:06:21

I dry pail and do the toilet wiggle with the fleece liners. With bfed poo though I used to power shower them off in the bath - it all goes into the sewage anyway. Doesn't work with weaned poo as too lumpy.

nappyzone Mon 13-Aug-07 13:06:55

dry defo - urghhh to poo soup!

potoroo Mon 13-Aug-07 13:31:45

Definitely dry pail - as per preggersagain's instructions.
I do put a few drops of diluted tea-tree oil and/or lavender oil into the bucket as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now