Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How do you get a child out of pullups at night?

(20 Posts)
LittleMissMuffett Sun 12-Aug-07 04:27:19

My child is 2.5 she is potty trained and toilet trained during the day, but i just can not get her out of pullups at night. If I do she wets the bed. I have told her to wake me up, but she does not. Help! Any advise will be appreciated.type

alipiggie Sun 12-Aug-07 05:27:28

My two suddenly decided together that as one of their friends wasn't in pull=ups that they didn't need to be. I lifted them before I went to bed and I know many here will shoot me down in flames for that, but it worked and we didn't have too many accidents.

I have a potty in ds2's room and he uses it now. I also use great waterproof mattress protectors and over them I have the incontinence pads you can buy for beds. Saves having to change everything. She's 2.5 I wouldn't worry too much. My ds1 was 4 and ds2 3 before they were out of pull-ups at night. Every child is different.

LittleMissMuffett Sun 12-Aug-07 05:44:13

Thanks for your reply.

I have already got the incontinence pads. I learnt very fast! Do you thinkthe technique is right, about leaving the pull ups off at night though! type

alipiggie Sun 12-Aug-07 05:49:55

I would . They'll learn sooner or later that wet isn't good. As long as she's not stressed out about being wet then I'd go with that.

twentypence Sun 12-Aug-07 08:02:23

Ds wees a lot during the night and will happily sleep on a wet patch for hours. He is 4 and a half, and I don't think that Huggies will be losing my business any time soon.

If she is in her pull up is it dry in the morning? But she wets if not in it?

roisin Sun 12-Aug-07 08:37:03

Being dry at night is not something you can train - it's a biological thing about the development of certain hormones that supress the production of urine when sleeping, and it's not related to daytime potty training.

Some children do this at 2.
Some children don't develop this until 6 or 7.
Some parents take children out of nappies too early and end up with months or years of extra laundry and mess.

My boys were both completely dry daytimes within a week of their second birthdays. Ds1 was in pullups at night until he was almost 5. DS2 was about 6.5 if I recall.

twentypence Sun 12-Aug-07 09:25:25

Thank you roisin for making me feel normal. It's a load of pull ups though - why can't I find a washable alternative? I guess it's because baby shops don't want to sell enormous pull up nappies.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Sun 12-Aug-07 09:29:51

twentypence, i think shes a bit little. dd potty trained at aroudn that age within a week by shes still in pull ups (special knickers) at night time or she wets, nto thats shes bothered but i cant be doing with the washing so il wait until she wakes up for a fwe days with dry pull ups!

LizaRose Sun 12-Aug-07 09:39:21

You can get washable pullups, I just bought some for my boys from minki nappies but they are considerably bulkier than paper pullups. The boys chose their own designs from the website and both say the pants are soft and comfy.

hermykne Sun 12-Aug-07 09:51:48

littlemissmuffet
imho is she not a bit young for all night dryness, why not lift her if you want to give it a go , around 11pm, i did this with both mine at 2yrs 10mths and it worked a treat.

LittleMissMuffett Wed 15-Aug-07 23:57:58

By lifting her at 11 pm do you mean wake her up? If i wake her up she will need a bottle to back to sleep on, so back to square one again. She will go tolilet then i will give her milk and then she will want go again, but will never wake me up. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

Hulababy Thu 16-Aug-07 00:03:46

From Op it doesn't sound like she is ready. Itruely believe night time dryness isn't something you can "train". It isn't the same as day time PT.

DD was PTs at 24 months. She wasn't reliably dry at night until just before her 5th birthday. And now, just 4 months later, she has actually started having some accidnets whilst being on holiday and in the past couple of days since returning. Not sure why yet - maybe sleeping too heavy, going to bed late perhaps. She has no control over it at all. It certainly isn't because shedoesn't want to be dry that's for sure.

pirategirl Thu 16-Aug-07 00:07:01

dd is still in them at 5 , but not in pull ups, just largest nappies, pullups cost to much.

aloha Thu 16-Aug-07 00:07:03

I think she's too young. My dd is two and a half, and fine by day but I'm in no hurry to get her out of pullups by night. My ds is five and still absolutely needs them.

orangehead Thu 16-Aug-07 00:08:16

ds1 not dry at night till 5, and ds2 is 4 and still in nappies at night. I personally think 2.5 is far to early to be worried, I know some do do it this early but think is the minority.

p.s I was 11 when dry at night

FlameBatfink Thu 16-Aug-07 00:09:07

Twentypence - I agree, either minki, or motherease bedwetter pants

kamikayzed Thu 16-Aug-07 00:16:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kamikayzed Thu 16-Aug-07 00:17:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hatwoman Thu 16-Aug-07 00:18:56

agree about it not being something you can train. dd1 was dry at night within about 2 weeks of being dry in the day - at about 2.4. dd2 (5.3) still in pull ups

lovelyfrench Thu 16-Aug-07 01:10:37

My DD was dry at 2 1/5 but only dry at night about a year later. I used pull ups but still made sure that I took her to the loo before I went to bed. I dimmed the lights and never said anything so as to not wake her up too much. I don't think she really noticed! She is now 6 and dry but takes herself to the loo around midnight every night by herself. She does not seem awake and she goes back to sleep quickly. The key though is not to make a big deal out of it. Keep the pull ups on as being all night on a wet patch is not nice and children get sore bums! Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now