Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Daft question but what's the best type of cotton wool for nappy changing?

(19 Posts)
Rach35 Fri 10-Aug-07 09:10:26

Should I buy the pleated stuff, cotton wool balls or the pads (of which there are million different sizes?) I know it sounds daft but when I went to supermarket I looked at this row of seemingly endless bags of cotton wool. Due in 3 weeks and think I have lost powers of decision making!

FlameBatfink Fri 10-Aug-07 10:31:07

Awww, I went with the balls.

I love the decisions that seem sooooo hard when you are pregnant!! I dragged my mum round six different shops to find a perfect ironing board (mine had fallen apart)... I never iron!!!

phdlife Fri 10-Aug-07 10:33:08

someone <<scratches head trying to remember>> I think it was nappylady.co.uk recommended the rolls of cotton. We did the maths in tesco and found you get more cotton for much less cost than the balls (I never bothered with the other types) and it's good because you can tear off as much or as little as you like. hth

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Fri 10-Aug-07 10:34:24

rolls are cheaper

MrsBadger Fri 10-Aug-07 10:34:27

I got the larger size of pads on the grounds that when I gave up on them and switched to resuable wipes they'd still be handy for taking off makeup...

curlywurlycremeegg Fri 10-Aug-07 10:34:43

I would say the pads as they don't leave fluffy residue all over the place and I hate that

Baffy Fri 10-Aug-07 10:35:30

I liked the balls best.

They didn't seem to leave stringy bits of cotton all over the baby like the rolls do.

But as long as it saves you wiping the poo off with your hand I'm sure any will do!

Congratulations btw

JennsterBubsLayer Fri 10-Aug-07 10:58:59

I find the large balls better than the pleat, but pleats better than roll. Have just read though somebody cut up a cheapo towel and used that as reusable wipes which I'm thinking of doing.

MrsBadger Fri 10-Aug-07 11:01:27

I just stole all the revolting 1970s patterned flannels out of my mum's airing cupboard - no cutting required.

fedupwasherwoman Fri 10-Aug-07 11:05:00

Cotton wool pads are much better, no fluffy residue.

I took some into hospital with me when having ds2 and the mnidwife who changed his first nappy for me (post c-s) was impressed and said she'd be recommending them at ante-natal classes from then on.

They can be used for make-up removal and cleansing/toning face also.

Rach35 Fri 10-Aug-07 11:49:02

Decisions decisions - have given my brain to my baby - thanks for all these. I will probably end up buying one of each much to the frustration of DH who thinks I have gone nuts. Can't wait for him to clean up baby when it arrives ...... will be v entertaining (Midwife got him putting clothes on a doll the other week which had me LOL!)

fedupwasherwoman Fri 10-Aug-07 13:23:15

Are you having a girl ?

If so Drapolene is supposed to be very good as a protective cream as it is less greasy than the others, easier to wipe off so less residue built up in various nooks and crannies

mozzybear Fri 10-Aug-07 20:17:32

Aww bless!

I use ANYTHING. Though while my sister's I used the pads and found them easier but I seem to have bulk bought cotton wool for some reason

At least you're not asking what brand of baby wipes warmer to buy

fernhowe Fri 10-Aug-07 20:35:05

I so know how you feel! I tried the roll because it's cheaper, but found that when you've got the feet of a wriggling baby in one hand, a dirty nappy staring you in the face and only one hand free for cleaning, you can't pull off a little bit from the roll. SO I went onto balls which was easier.
Good luck for 3 weeks' time!

NotADragonOfSoup Fri 10-Aug-07 20:40:00

The balls are shite. Too small.

juuule Fri 10-Aug-07 20:46:07

New baby - I found the cotton wool balls best.
Older baby - a cloth.

nappyneeds Sat 11-Aug-07 00:34:01

I would go for washable / reusable wipes to save on time AND money. They vary in cost/size etc but we stock some cheapy ones too which do the job and they are the main bulk of the ones I use! I found the cotton balls useless to the point where I'd need about 10 or more to clean up a newborn breastfed poo and it would take forever as they were soooo tiny. PLus on a pleat its hard to rip of sometimes and in those early days you get through sooo much.

twentypence Sat 11-Aug-07 02:03:07

I'd go for 20 of the cheapest thinnest face flannels you can find that are cotton. They will last for years and years and years.

Rach35 Sat 11-Aug-07 09:50:19

Mozzybear - wtf are baby wipes warmers? They sound absurd? (And no - I won't be buying them. Am getting nearly all my stuff from my sister next week which is a massive help!)

Fedupwasherwoman - Not sure if it's a girl or boy (DH is hoping for a new puppy!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now