Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

5yr old still wet at night - any tips/good waterproof sheets

(5 Posts)
imtheirmum Wed 08-Aug-07 14:06:42

My 5 yr old is getting really sensitive about still wearing pull-ups in bed. The nappies are always wet in morning. She's insisting she's too old for them and we've tried a few nights without, lifting her (2 times last night and was still a slight wet patch on the disposable mat).
Two questions - any tips on how to handle this, anything we can do to help her?
-and we need alternative to disposable bed mats - is there a type of washable bedwetting mat we could use?
Her friends seem to have been dry for literally years! Would really appreciate some advice!

MaloryTowersHasManners Wed 08-Aug-07 14:07:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nell12 Wed 08-Aug-07 14:12:51

DONT lift her: this trains her brain to think "I dont need to wake up when I need a wee, Mummy will do it for me"

Make sure she drinks plenty, this will increase her bladder capacity so that it can hold more and for longer.

If possible only drink water after mid-afternoon (definitely no blackcurrant/ cola/tea- coloured drinks)

she is still at a normal age to wet the bed, speak to your HV if you are worried

HTH x

flatmouse Wed 08-Aug-07 14:16:33

re sheets, we had two "plastic ones" - which really you can just dettol spray and wipe down, and two which are towelling with plastic backing.

"Plastic ones" are cheaper, but i find if there is an accident it "spreads" more - right up to and including the pillow.

The towelling ones wiht plastic backing are cooler (with sheet over top) in hot weather, but obviously need washing after an accident and they take ages to dry.

Got both types from John Lewis.

Eulalia Wed 08-Aug-07 14:19:18

My dd is 5 and also wears pull-ups, she actually likes them and choosing which one to wear each night. Some nights she's dry, others not. It is very common for children to still wear at this age. Her brother has only just come out of nappies although he has SN - he wore his last nappy a month before he turned 8 and literally overnight was dry onwards.

You can get plastic sheets to go over your mattress and under the sheet - they vary in quality, some of the thinner ones tend to tear. You can get ones that have fabric but it means more washing so best to get a totally plastic wipeable one. This should be sufficient for slight leaks. If you want to do trial runs without a nappy then I'd put a large towel on top of the plastic sheet and tuck it in and then put your fitted top sheet over it all. You can buy washable bed pads too. Have seen them online (hospital suppliers) or eBay. A lot cheaper than disposable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now