Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help us get to the next stage of Pottyu training

(11 Posts)
CharleeWeasley Mon 06-Aug-07 11:33:29

DS (2.11) is dry and clean indoors when he can have nothing onhis bottom half, but as soon as i put pants or trousers on him him wets and poos himself. I have repeatedly told him that he has to tell me when he needs to go so i can help him oull his trousers down for the potty but he doesn't even try he just goes in his pants/trousers without a thought of anything else.

How do we overcome this he's been ok without bottoms on gor a few months now we just can't seem to push past it.

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 06-Aug-07 11:34:40

do you put pants and trousers one when you try him wiht the trousers?

We found with DS2 it was easier to go pantless, but with loose fitting trousers.

lailasmum Mon 06-Aug-07 11:37:39

Maybe he just isn't ready for it. If he can't think far enough in advance that he needs to go to tell you or pull his pants down maybe just leave it for a few days/weeks, until he can.

CharleeWeasley Mon 06-Aug-07 11:38:01

I have tried both but i must admit he is slightly better with ust trousers on.

witchandchips Mon 06-Aug-07 11:39:22

just treat it as a new stage. So remind him to go every half an hour or so and keep watching for signs.

CharleeWeasley Mon 06-Aug-07 11:43:05

I do ask him! He says no but then goes anyway! It's frustrating becuase he still ahs to have a nappy on to go out which isn't really teaching him anything!

witchandchips Mon 06-Aug-07 11:48:36

my son is a bit the same. you have to say "do you want to do a wee"
"No" [but it is clear he does]
"well here is the potty just in case it comes soon" so bring the potty near to where he is playing, we also have a ramekin for ben the action man to go on as well!
think they want to control it themselves

witchandchips Mon 06-Aug-07 11:49:19

forgot to say that my ds will then go and sit on the potty a few minutes later

tonysmum Mon 06-Aug-07 18:22:41

ChaeleeWeasley, my 2.11 DS was exactly the same until I bought Thomas the tank engine pants for him, he adores them, all of sudden it just clicked, probably because he didn't want to soil his nice pants, and he has been dry since then.

KITTENSOCKS Tue 07-Aug-07 09:18:16

I found boys swimshorts with a mesh interior useful, essentially one garment that's easy to pull down, quick to dry after washing, and look nice when out and about in summer. Sadly no good at wee or poo retention in event of an accident, but maybe in a couple of weeks time.....

frazzledbutcalm Tue 07-Aug-07 10:15:15

Is ds strong willed? If yes, its probably a way of getting attention/reaction. If you keep asking/reminding him he'll not go just because you suggested it. Just leave him to own devices and change him without even talking/shouting or telling him off. If he's not strong willed then it may just be that he's not quite ready, couple weeks can make huge difference. Don't put nappy on at all when going out, it really does confuse him. I did this with my son. He was fab in house but then we'd have a setback. I stopped nappies even when out and he was much, much better. it made me realise that others were right about confusing him by sometimes using nappies and sometimes not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now