Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Should I get a potty?

(6 Posts)
rosmerta Thu 02-Aug-07 21:21:13

This isn't really about potty training, tbh, so feel free to ignore but any help would be appreciated!

Ds has some really bad nappy rash atm, v sore and in some places raw. Have been using sudocream which helps a bit but I think he really needs some time without his nappy on.

Now, whenever I've taken his nappy off and let him roam free, he's always weed & pooed, usually in the living room! Am thinking of getting a potty so that if I spot anything happening I can plonk him on it. Has anyone done this and would it work or will he just run away?

Sorry that's so long and rambling!

skatergirl Thu 02-Aug-07 21:31:19

Yes get a potty, can't do any harm and you will need one eventually. He might refuse to sit on it so don't try and force the issue but you may as well have a go. I would definitely carry on with the nappy off time though if he is a bit sore. Floors can be cleaned!

Shivs1974 Fri 03-Aug-07 08:20:11

Re the nappy rash - have you tried Metanium? Might also be worth a trip to the doctors in case there's a fungal infection.
If it is fungal, we were also recommended to use a probiotic powder (Solgar ABC) - don't know if it helped per se but made me feel as if I was doing something else...

DD1 had a horrendous nappy rash - v red & raw due to teething - and I felt so guilty every time I changed her nappy. It did clear up but took some time.

BabiesEverywhere Fri 03-Aug-07 08:49:54

Fresh air is the best thing for clearing nappy rash, so going bare bumed sounds the best way to clear his bottom.

Alongside the potty, you could also try a toilet seat insert for the normal toilet as some babies/toddlers prefer the big toilet.

BabiesEverywhere Fri 03-Aug-07 08:55:51

If your son is very young (under a year) it might be worth investing in a small potty for small bottoms. i.e. Baby Bjorn Little Potty from Ebay or a small potty from Boots

rosmerta Fri 03-Aug-07 20:14:42

thanks for the replies, I'm off to pick up a potty tomorrow, though typically the rash is looking a bit better today!

Shivs, can you get Metanium at Boots?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now