Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

OH GOOD GRIEF....ds 2 1/2 hours (yes hours) into potty training....

(15 Posts)
DANCESwithDumbledore Thu 02-Aug-07 16:05:12

...he's wet himself twice (perfectly fine) but is crying that he doesn't want to wear pants and he wants to put a nappy on (so he is naked!). Dd took a while to get the hang of it but she never had a problem actually wearing pants. <<sigh>> I have to say I was dreading this, I'm only doing it because he's off to nursery in September...

Woe is me... etc etc

Fimbo Thu 02-Aug-07 16:10:32

Much sympathy. I started today too. I have had the same reponse "don't want to wear pants, want nappy". Has weed twice all over the floor. Have told him all his friends go to the toilet, his reply "no, they don't" (they do). He will be 4 (yes 4) in December and starts nursery in September. I despair.

DANCESwithDumbledore Thu 02-Aug-07 16:14:07

Oh blimey poor you My ds is only 2.6. Pre-schools are such a pain in the arse about this no nappy rule. I don't know what happens if he's not dry. Anyone know?

Right, Fimbo...this is our support thread...keep the faith Oh and what's the best thing for getting wee off sofas without taking the colour out <kicks self for millioneth time for not buying sofa with washable covers>

Fimbo Thu 02-Aug-07 16:21:24

Cod will be along an moment to chastise me (you will get off lightly at 2.6!).

Our nursery prefer them to be potty trained but will accept them if they aren't.

It will happen, it will happen.

Fingers crossed Dumbledore.

suzycreamcheese Thu 02-Aug-07 16:23:23

dont despair..yet ! ladies..

ds took ages but once it clicked it ...really clicked

get those mats that soak up stuff and let them go bare summer innit? ...

went straight to toilet too ds hated potty and made sense... and one pack of pull ups thought they confused him really..
just used 'night' nappy...
lots of big boy praise
lots of its really easy

ds hated pants but in the end, i think it might have been the actual change he might not have liked not the actual pants toilet thing.... he did get his head round it..i still cant beleive it now but dry at night etc..in few short months....

its a big change but stick to your guns and good luck
and act like you're not stressed and dont care....

DANCESwithDumbledore Thu 02-Aug-07 16:24:06

toes too. Dd wasn't easy, took a while to get wees and months to get poos. I really think I deserve an easier time with ds <sulks>

Let me know when ds has first success. I've put my ds in front of the tv on his potty so I'm hoping for an accidental success so I can make the appropriate hooplah

GreatGooglyMoogly Thu 02-Aug-07 16:24:22

Come and join us here. My DS1(3.4) is on day 8 and not doing very well so you'll be in good company

DANCESwithDumbledore Thu 02-Aug-07 16:25:04

suzy - do I dare ask how long 'ages' was??

Thelittlesoldiersmummy Thu 02-Aug-07 16:25:46

I thought you were saying you were trying to potty train your DS who was 2.5 hours old

DANCESwithDumbledore Thu 02-Aug-07 16:27:34

GGM - didn't join the thread because it was so big I didn't know where to start! Love your name btw, dc love Maggie.

8 days <sobs> I'm too busy (ie will go completely ga ga) if I have to stay in that long <really sobs>

DANCESwithDumbledore Thu 02-Aug-07 16:28:46

LSM - oh yes, elimination communication...don't even get me started on that <adjust bosoms in preparation for rant>....

casbie Thu 02-Aug-07 16:53:03

not put a downer on things, but my dd has taken 10 months to get use to recognising when she needs to go. she did started using the potty when she was 18mths, but it has taken her this long (sigh).

she is only 2, but has the intelligence of a 5 year old - scary child.

suzycreamcheese Thu 02-Aug-07 19:37:21

DANCES..well you asked..

..i tried him quite a few times for couple of days at a time...at 2 years to see..then 2 1/2...each a few days and he just was hopeless not interested, dont like pants mantra.. so suspended operation..but was really sending me round the twist..

a few months after his 3rd birthday it just seemed to click..couple of accidents but he could tell me and then he finally *wore the pants* ...as there was no alternative other than staying in...

in hindsight (nice place to be) it probably was me stressing as i couldnt understand it,...but everything in his world was changing cause i wont let him do what he always has done...

i think it can be a power / control thing too....i cannot stress how much this stressed me and also how quickly it was actually resolved...though had tried off and on for a year i suppose!

chill i say it will come
and you are allowed to have some of the star chart chocolate buttons! very much allowed!

Wheelybug Thu 02-Aug-07 19:41:45

I started a couple of weeks ago and gave up - dd is 2.5 and also off to nursery in sept. She wasn't doing too bad (holding it for ages, seemed to know when she needed to go) but refused point blank to sit on toilet or potty at home (although would, and still does, ask to try when out although never produced anything). I couldn't bear the refusals at home so decided to give up for a bit to see if she shows signs of it. She owuldn't respond to bribes of any kind.

Apparently, so I've been told on here, they CAN'T refuse to take them if not potty trained. I thought this but apparently its illegal.

rhead Thu 02-Aug-07 20:13:09

Courage dances! You will get there. I think we finally have, after about a month of gentle progress... hooray! Ds is also 2 1/2 and starting nursery in Sept... We've had various accidents and setbacks along the way, including the infamous poo on the stairs incident, but he really seems to have gotten it now - I even switched him to a pull-up for nighttime 4 nights ago, and he's been dry the last 3 nights! (albeit getting me out of bed at 2am for a wee, but that's okay... ahem).

Are/were you using cloth or sposies? This may be an unpopular suggestion (most people seem to advocate going straight to pants) but we went from cloth, which he obviously couldn't get off or, more to the point, on again on his own, to pull-ups, then started mixing in big-boy pants (with a liberal dose of nakedness of course, which is still favourite). I think he liked the novelty of the pull-ups, and using them for a while while he started to get the idea meant I didn't have to deal with any wee on the carpet/furniture incidents... it also meant that then I could offer him the choice of wearing a pull-up or pants, which he really liked. It gives them a sense of control/involvement. If you can give him a choice of different colours too, that might help (not 'do you want to wear pants,' but 'do you want to wear the blue pants or the red pants today,' to distract him from the bigger issue).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now