Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

bedwetting alarms

(9 Posts)
lexcat Wed 01-Aug-07 13:07:56

dd 6.4 still wear nappies at bed and is very wet leaking nappies at least once a week.
She is very aware that her friends don't need night nappies. worst is my neice has been out of night nappies since 2.9 now 4.11 and dd whats to be like her as they are very close.
We are trying with out nappies which she thinks is great the only problem 5 day in and soaking sheets every morning. Doesnt even wake when their wet.
Was thinking to get a bedwetting alarm but their not cheap. Has any one brought one, did it work and what was the make.
Or does any one have an tips to help her get dry at night.

Desiderata Wed 01-Aug-07 13:12:38

My dh's eldest son (now 21!) had this problem all the way through childhood. When he was 9 he was referred, and the bedwetting alarm was 'prescribed' free of charge by the NHS.

It worked immediately.

I think at 6.4 you're unlikely to get it on the NHS, but it's worth asking the question.

Good luck!

bundle Wed 01-Aug-07 13:27:09

doctors will only treat this as a medical problem from age 7 as before then the connections between brain/bladder aren't necessarily mature. you will need to find out whether she has

a small bladder

an irritable bladder

or how much of the hormone desmopressin she's producing (it sends the bladder into sleep mode)

in order to get the right treatment sorted

lexcat Wed 01-Aug-07 14:52:36

when you been desperate to have no nappies and have been for some 6 months (that was when best friend came out of night nappies) having to wait till you 7 is very hard.
Plus it is becoming a problem getting bedtime nappies on her, as she would prefer a wet bed to nappies. Changing sheet very day is my idea of nightmare even though she is good at helping.

pippo Wed 01-Aug-07 15:07:58

My dd is 5.5 and we are in the midst of using the alarm provided by local enuresis clinic (NHS - GP referal). So it is possible to get one before 7 - infact professionals involved seem to view this is more of an issue than we do!! Good Luck

pippo Wed 01-Aug-07 15:09:05

ps, although quite expensive kylie sheets (sp?) - bought ours from blushing buyer have been a god send for us...........

lexcat Wed 01-Aug-07 17:51:08

thanks pippo see there is hope if you got your alarm for you dd. Will try my local gp and hope to be referred to enuresis clinic. didn't think there was much point till she was 7+

geogteach Wed 01-Aug-07 18:08:42

Have you tried taking her to the loo in the night? DS1 (6.5) is still wet at night and hasn't worn a nappy since he started school, I take him to the loo when I go to bed, 6 nights out of 7 this works. I have spoken to the school nurse and they won't refer till 7, DH is a peadiatrician and he doesn't think its worth doing before then either.

kat23 Thu 02-Aug-07 16:25:20

my ds 5.11 still wets the bed but i now use a what we call the pink sheet. My neighbour works in a shop that does products for the disabled and she got me them they are designed as incontance (cant spell) sheets. I now have three I put it on top of his bottom sheet and then was two in one go. I get a dry night sometimes but since talking about it on here i am happy to leave it just now. I do lift him when I go to bed but I make sure I wake him properly first. I did get a new alarm on ebay but he just pulled it off his pants.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: