Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Real nappies and a newborn-convince me not to buy 3rd packet of disposables.

(31 Posts)
JennsterBubsLayer Sun 29-Jul-07 22:58:21

OK, so DD is 18 months and still in reusables day and night. I didn't start with her until she was about 3 months old as she was tiny. DS is going to be a week old tomorrow. So far I've chickened out.

Actually I'm all set to go, I have loads of muslin cloths, nappi nippas, extra small rikki wraps and plenty of birth to potty nappies for both of them when DS gets big enough for them.

Convince me to start using them now. I apologise for starting the thread and leaving, but need sleep and to feed ds. Will check replies out tomorrow I promise. Oh and it's bf poo and I'm intending on using the origami fold.

cornflakegirl Sun 29-Jul-07 23:07:02

Hmmm... was going to make comments along the lines of "Go on, you know it's easier - bf poo goes straight in the wash, and you get far fewer poo-up-the-back incidents" - but I've never used muslins, so don't know whether that last bit is true!

Do it because fat-bottomed babies are cute?

nappyneeds Mon 30-Jul-07 02:07:37

heres a few:

- less chance of nappy rash imo
- they look much cuter in a cloth nappy
- no nasty chemicals next to your precious newborns skin - and this is important
- less wiffs - disposables really smell even when dry, only most people are so used to them they dont notice
- if youve already got an older one in cloth its not really much extra work
- you get to have 'fun' when baby is a bit bigger customising their cloth bottom with an array of colours and cute fluffy fluff

come on - go cloth - you know you want to........

chipmonkey Mon 30-Jul-07 02:39:32

And do you really want to pay an extra mortgage to Pampers and co.?

FlameParakeet Mon 30-Jul-07 07:35:51

He'll look sooo cute

FlameParakeet Mon 30-Jul-07 07:44:33

Oh here's another one... you have gone through 2 packs of disposables in 6 days

bagpuss Mon 30-Jul-07 08:38:19

Gosh, we never got to the end of our second pack of sposies before the lure of cloth got too strong . Seriously, muslins are so easy and if you find they are not absorbant enough, you can add a booster to the middle and they are brilliant then! Plus, think of how much less rubbish there will be in your wheelie bin .

CorrieDale Mon 30-Jul-07 08:57:04

You could buy another nappy - a super-cute girly one - from Flame or PurPur (30% off sale at the moment) with the money you'd spend on another pack of disps.

FlameParakeet Mon 30-Jul-07 09:12:06

Oh yes, I'll do you a deal on a newborn swaddlebees and nature babies wrap

nappyzone Mon 30-Jul-07 10:24:34

because it will save your bin overflowing with sh* nappies! and there functional, cute and cute and lovely and fat bums rock! Hello nappy needs

juuule Mon 30-Jul-07 10:29:43

Put the price of 3 packets of disposables into a jar every week and just watch that money mount up Much better than putting it in the bin every week.

JennsterBubsLayer Mon 30-Jul-07 11:13:47

OMG First mprning on my own with dd and ds...... dd being very naughty but nowt i can do about it.

nappyzone Mon 30-Jul-07 11:23:13

oh no - first day alone day - i wish you well - i remember the tears as my dd made ds cry and got so upset abotu it and then so did i - give it a week and it will become 2nd nature - stick on the tv and let your standards fall to the floor! You could let dd play with all those lovely muslins and wraps you arent using yet! A long walk always works for me!

JennsterBubsLayer Mon 30-Jul-07 12:01:16

OK next nappy I'm going for the muslins. My mum has just taken dd away for the day.

JennsterBubsLayer Mon 30-Jul-07 12:03:28

And thanks for moral support everybody.

nappyzone Mon 30-Jul-07 14:49:27

yey we await results poo by poo please lol!

FlameParakeet Mon 30-Jul-07 18:31:25

How's it been?

JennsterBubsLayer Mon 30-Jul-07 20:13:56

Well weve gone through 3 muslins and no leaks. They are enormous though! Not bothered nippering them. Have't lined them either. Remember it didn't do much when I did for dd.

chipmonkey Mon 30-Jul-07 20:59:35

No, in the early days, the liners are a bit of a waste of time!

JennsterBubsLayer Wed 01-Aug-07 20:42:30

Day 3 and no problems with the muslins! I tried him in an ellas house (not bum hugger) and he flooded it before it absorbed the wee so not impressed. Don't remember dd doing that.

MrsWaggsnapps Wed 01-Aug-07 21:02:28

I've found diddy diapers and bimbles really good, we started using them from day 2 and they are v cute AND I love Nature Babies wraps as they are really soft at the front

JennsterBubsLayer Wed 01-Aug-07 21:46:43

I have ONE nature babies wrap. Wish I'd bought more now... Maybe I should sell the ellas house nappies and buy a couple of nature babies wraps......NO no no NO MORE NAPPY PARAPHANALIA

curlywurlycremeegg Thu 02-Aug-07 08:52:03

you may need to line the Ella's House hemp nappt with a microfibre booster or cloth, this will absorb the wee quickly and then soak it through to the hemp wich absorbs much more slowly and stop and flooding from your LO

nappyneeds Thu 02-Aug-07 09:21:08

hello nappyzone - thank you for the welcome

hello flame too

<big waves to all cloth nappy users too>

jennster - has the bumhugger had plenty of prewashes?

sleepycat Thu 02-Aug-07 09:25:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now