Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How many more nappies do I need? help!

(17 Posts)
Chirpygirl Fri 27-Jul-07 13:36:33

Okay, DD is 18 months and I have a new DD due in 2 months. I started with cloth when DD1 was 4 months old so have no experience of newborn in nappies and will prob start DD2 in cloth after the fun 6 weeks is up
This is what I have currently

10 fluffles (birth to potty - nippa fastening)
4 imse vime organic (BTP - need velcro wraps)
5 bumgenius AIO - BTP
2 tots bots, one size 1, one size 2

4 other random AIO, mostly 10lb to 20lb

Wraps I am okay with as I doubt they will be sharing wrap sizes for awhile

With this amount I wash every 2 days with a half load of nappies and would like to carry on washing every other morning with a full load.

I want BTP nappies so how many more will I need to keep a 20 month old who gets through 5 or 6 a day and a newborn???

lljkk Fri 27-Jul-07 16:28:08

I worked it out as about 24 more.

Assume what you have (20 naps in the right sizes) is what you need for just your toddler over 2.5-3.5 days. Most tiny babes get thru 8-14 nappies in a 24 hour period (they tell you to expect 12/day).

If you breastfeed you may get away with less, but anyway, that suggests you need 28-36 naps for the newborn if you still want to do washing every 2 days. You currently have about 5 nappies that will be suitable size (10 lb), so with one pack of newborn size disps for backup, you need another 18-26 nappies suitable for the baby.

This is why I love terries, cheap and versatile.

NAB3 Fri 27-Jul-07 19:06:29

24 more nappies?????
BTP are a bit rsky imo, I have had a few and they haven't lasted.

Chirpygirl Fri 27-Jul-07 19:13:39

that is nowhere near what I calculated!
DD1 was in BTP fluffles temporarily from 2 months, (as in 1 or 2 a day) and permanently at 4 months so am going to BTP for these.
I do have some terries but couldn't get on with them, I suppose I should buy some more!

Chirpygirl Fri 27-Jul-07 19:14:49

Also I don't use all of those over the 2 days, I normally use up all the fluffles and a couple of bumgenius and then wash as the imse vimse are a pain!

nappyzone Fri 27-Jul-07 19:19:29

can you not just but say a dozen and see how you get on then if you are short use sposies intermitently until you get your levels correct. Bumgenius are fab - i have seen them on newborn right up to potty - and wonderoos though they look a bit huge on a newborn so maybe not good straight away. Oh there i go again assuming everyone loves pockets

Chirpygirl Fri 27-Jul-07 19:26:08

That's what I am hoping to do, nappyzone, I just wasn't sure how many extra to start out buying IYSWIM.
I only bought the bumgenius and Imse Vimse once DD was in the bigger setting so haven't tried them on a littley, but 10 nappies did us fine for her, surely I can just double up and it would work?

I think I need to know how many nappies people generally have for 2 kids in nappies don't I!

nappyzone Fri 27-Jul-07 19:42:59

well they use alot more when tiddly so if your waiting till little person is 6 weeks you could just get a dozen or so and see how you get on - rather than buying out the worlds nappy supplies! Mind you if your shopping with me i wont complain about that lol! No seriously though - i have a friend (honestly) who is using bumgenius on her 8 week old and she also used fuzzis from the outset - a birth to potty would certainly make being out and about with 2 in cloth easier. My 8 month old goes through 5 a day.

Chirpygirl Fri 27-Jul-07 19:49:08

Thanks, shall dig out my terries and probably buy a dozen more BTP's to start with. I want to keep them both in BTP as then, like you said, it will make being out much easier!

nappyzone Fri 27-Jul-07 20:00:18

Good plan - feel free to visit me here if you find you need some more as i can do special packages for us mumsnetters if i have what you desire... I thought i needed some more today then had a good dig about and found allsorts id forgotten about - nothing exciting though!

Chirpygirl Fri 27-Jul-07 20:14:24

thanks!
I might need more wraps after all if this is anything to go by......

nappyzone Fri 27-Jul-07 20:54:17

lol!! my dh still forgets to put inserts into pocket nappies !

lljkk Sat 28-Jul-07 10:29:02

When I had 2 in nappies I had about 50 naps in stock, because I only wanted to have to wash every 2-3 days and I needed some spare in case it took extra long to dry them (radiators or outside).

You did say you only wanted to wash every 2 days....

claireybee Sat 28-Jul-07 14:29:50

Are wonderoos the same as wonderworks? I have a wonderworks btp and it is still massive on my 14 mo!

nappyzone Sat 28-Jul-07 15:44:00

wonderoos by hip hip baby were wonderworks wonderoos - they improved the design. I have one of each - both are fine for me, some say leg elastic is better in the newer one and poss less wing droop

claireybee Sat 28-Jul-07 20:30:43

I have to say it is one of the most reliable of my pockets but just sooo big! DD has it on one of the tightest settings and this evening when it was quite full of wee (lazy mummy not bothering to change her when it was half an hour til bathtime)the weight led to it falling down! I looked at her and wondered why her nappy was down to her knees then realised she had a builders bum lol

FlameParakeet Sat 28-Jul-07 21:04:38

I still find far too much wing droop even with the new wonderoos

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now