Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

thoughts on prefolds.

(15 Posts)
Stefka Wed 25-Jul-07 19:55:18

I thought I had made up my mind to use shaped nappies like tots bots or something but someone today showed me her prefolds and said they were easier to dry and cheaper to use. Just wondered what people thought of them.

FlameParakeet Wed 25-Jul-07 20:07:47

Some people love them, many people find they are prone to leaks.

Thinkstoomuch Wed 25-Jul-07 20:13:03

Have tried absolutely loads of different nappies. Love my prefolds above all else. Dry quickly and last for ages because they don't outgrow as fast as shaped ones. Still use them now DS is toilet trained to put into stuffables at night.
The wrap you choose is crucial though. Haven't been able to beat Motherease Rikkis.

CarGirl Wed 25-Jul-07 20:16:31

They are not great for newborn bf poos as they tend to explode and leak onto the wraps. Once the poo is solid they are pretty darn good!

nappyzone Thu 26-Jul-07 10:11:41

found them prone to leaks with newborn, shaped would be better for newborn poop.

Stefka Thu 26-Jul-07 10:36:01

Thanks - I think I will stick with shaped then. Probably just get a trial kit to start with and take it from there although part of me wants to buy tons just so I am ready! Nesting panic I suppose!

chipmonkey Thu 26-Jul-07 10:51:08

Stefka, I wouldn't buy "tons" of any nappy in particular till you know what nappies you like. Another option for a newborn is the plain old terry square folded in the Jo fold Shaped much like a Tots Bots when folded, less leaky than prefolds and equally fast to dry!

lailasmum Thu 26-Jul-07 10:57:54

I personally don't like prefolds. The smallest size commonly available in the UK is massive on a newborn. they are also quite low in absorbency in comparison to the shaped nappies. I found they leaked and were slow to dry. The only fold that I think works just about ok is a pooh catcher/envelope fold. But I wouldn't recommend them unless you have a large baby who is quite light wetting. They do make a wide nappy between the legs in pretty much any fold.

nappyzone Thu 26-Jul-07 11:13:21

Chipmonkey - i have done that jo fold only this week as was trialing some bamboo squares on my boy - the legs were really long and when i rolled them up they just gaped - what was i doing wrong there then? Stefka - bambinex (bambineo) do a trial kit - they are worth trying as v similar to tots only a toot cheaper and i find better quality at the moment (you can see em on my site) . Gettign a few different types until you find a sytem that works for you is a good idea although the shaped i mentioned tend to do till there a bit older and then you can move into pockets comfortably although there is nothing stopping you trying a pocket like a lovely cute white fuzzi on a newborn. there i go again..... Feel free to contact me here and i will happily offer nice advise or a nice little special deal for you

bookthief Thu 26-Jul-07 11:16:55

I would definitely say to get a wide variety of nappies to try as you might be surprised at the one you like/suits you the best.

You can then sell on the ones you don't get on with as the secondhand market for cloth nappies is excellent.

chipmonkey Thu 26-Jul-07 12:20:55

nappyzone, I don't really get what you mean by "the legs were really long". Do you mean the middle bit that you fold up?

FlameParakeet Thu 26-Jul-07 17:07:40

As strong as the nesting urge is, it really is good to try a few different kinds to work out what you like

nappyzone Thu 26-Jul-07 17:43:01

Chip, when i got it on the nappy kind went down his legs like a pair of shorts! I think i will stick to my shaped and pockets - absorbant they were i will give them that but think i will use it to pack a pocket with. Oh also on its last outing he crawled outof when the nippa came detached - lol i am hopeless! i am liking nippas on shaped though but am pants otherwise!

chipmonkey Sun 29-Jul-07 01:32:08

Nappyzone I don't know where you went wrong there! Unless you didn't start out with a small enough square?

FlameParakeet Sun 29-Jul-07 08:58:00

I knwo what she means - I never get a very neat fit round the legs (I stand and sort of poke it all in to make it a neater fit)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now