We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Reusable nappies. I'm new to this. Do I need boosters and liners?

(13 Posts)
HappyCatandIzzy Tue 24-Jul-07 11:01:47

After a lot of research I'm thinking of getting Motherease One-Size nappies as my first venture into cloth nappies. Can anyone tell me if I need both boosters and liners, and how do I decide on disposable or washable liners?

Thanks

lailasmum Tue 24-Jul-07 11:06:30

Erm boosters up the absorbency if you need it. You will at some point. But maybe not straight away. Liners keep you baby's bum dry and make laundering your nappies easier, you do need them.

You could alternatively try the Popolini One Size version of this nappy that comes with the booster and works out cheaper.

lailasmum Tue 24-Jul-07 11:09:22

disposable liners are good for the early sticky pooh weeks but don't keep babies bum dry, they are also an ongoing cost. Fleece liners keep babies bum drier, are cheaper in the long run and I prefer them.

claireybee Tue 24-Jul-07 11:59:26

I found fleece liners best for both the very runny newborn poo (it just ran off paper ones) and solid poo once weaned. Disposable liners were good for the in between stage where the poo is still quite runny but is also sticky and thicker than the newborn poo cos it is a nightmare to try and get off either nappies or liner. The inbetween stage lasted forever with my dd unfortunately as she didnt eat for ages but we are finally back on the fleece liners-yay!

Dodaday Tue 24-Jul-07 12:05:56

I always use disposable nappy liners, but I think special boosters are a waste of time and money, when you can simply use two nappies, by pad folding one inside the other as necessary. My DS is a very heavy wetter, and this is absolutely essential for his night nappy.

puppydavies Tue 24-Jul-07 12:25:06

boosters are useful during daytime later on as less bulky than doubling up nappies. hemp is good, esp fleece topped. personally i found meos not absorbant enough even boosted (w/their booster) but had fairly heavy wetter (or too lazy to change that often ). flushable liners tend to hold wetness against skin while washable give "stay dry" layer. but rinsing washables can be a pain, never found rinsing in flush worked so used shower head instead. the thicker flushable liners can be washed and reused if only wet.

FlameDelacour Tue 24-Jul-07 17:25:47

I found the same PD (I am lazy though....)

NotReallyHereHunker Tue 24-Jul-07 17:29:43

(Hijack - Flame, do I need boosters?!)

FlameDelacour Tue 24-Jul-07 17:32:39

No, you're not brave enough to use them at night, so you'll be fine

NotReallyHereHunker Tue 24-Jul-07 17:34:23

I might be...one day...

FlameDelacour Tue 24-Jul-07 17:35:41

< Wait til then You have bought all good absorbancy ones (they last Emrys aaaaaaaaaages), so would only need them at night, in which case buy microfibre cloths from Tesco and fold them up >

HappyCatandIzzy Wed 25-Jul-07 13:12:29

Thanks for all the advice.
Not sure if I'm going to use them at night straight away, so should I bother buying the boosters yet? My DD is 8 months old, so I don't have runny poo to deal with anymore thankfully! When I get brave I'll try using them at night too I hope.

FlameDelacour Wed 25-Jul-07 17:30:39

If you're not planning to use at night, then you shouldn't need boosters yet (although motherease are one of the least absorbant out there, so they might need them)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now