Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappies for the hospital?

(14 Posts)
Stefka Sat 21-Jul-07 19:31:35

I was just wondering if people took cloth nappies to the hospital with them or if they got some biodegradable disposables for that.

SpacePuppy Sat 21-Jul-07 19:37:17

I had to take my own nappies, our hospital stopped giving out nappies, they should be able to tell you.

crokky Sat 21-Jul-07 19:39:58

It hadn't occurred to me - are they designed to take the meconium (sp?) - might it stain more than normal baby poo?

Apologies if this is quite ignorant!

Stefka Sat 21-Jul-07 19:40:11

I know I have to take my own but I just wondered if people bothered taking cloth ones with them or if that is just far too much hassle at the start.

bristols Sat 21-Jul-07 19:40:22

I took biodegradable disposables for hospital. Got on with the cloth ones when I got home. I thought it would be easier. HTH

SpacePuppy Sat 21-Jul-07 19:46:24

You won't have facilitie to wash your cloth nappies appropriately in hospital, and to give you an idea my ds went through 8 disposables before all the meconium was out!

Stefka Sat 21-Jul-07 19:59:08

Thanks - I was thinking that it was best to use disposables for the hospital but I was interested to see what others had done.

curlywurlycremeegg Sat 21-Jul-07 20:10:33

I used cloth from day one with DS2 as I had a home birth, no probs with staining from meconium. With DD I was in hosp after and emergency cs and used disp as there was no way DH could cope with DS1 and visiting me and remember to take home the dirty nappies and wash them and bring me back clean ones

mawbroon Sat 21-Jul-07 20:12:44

I used bio disposables for the first few weeks, there's enough to be going on with at that time without washing nappies too.
My dh said the meconium was like engine oil

Miaou Sat 21-Jul-07 20:14:29

Ditto curlywurly - I got disposables for ds when he was born and have a pack of disposables for this db in my hospital bag - I'm leaving dh in charge of our other three (including ds who is still in washable nappies) and felt it was just too much to expect him to wash and return nappies for the baby too!

In the scheme of things I don't feel too guilty about using one pack of disposables (though it never occurred to me to buy biodegradable ones )

nappyzone Sun 22-Jul-07 10:29:38

i suppose it would depend if your planning on staying in long - i know at our hosp after a normal delivery with no major tears or trauma you can come home within 4 hrs but then you never know if your going to have a normal delivery or how its going/ gone etc until afterwards. Like curly says i dont thik my dh would have coped with remebering anything else - he brought my dd to visit and he couldnt even manage to brush her hair let alone cart anything useful in with him!

NannyL Sun 22-Jul-07 12:24:46

in my local hospital they provide (and launder) washable nappies for the babys

wulfricsmummy Sun 22-Jul-07 12:31:43

Message withdrawn

claireybee Tue 24-Jul-07 12:09:16

If the hospital allows it i'll take my cloth nappies in with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now