Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Stiff nappies

(18 Posts)
Dodaday Fri 20-Jul-07 11:17:53

I am a terry nappy devotee. However, the past few washes have produced some very stiff nappies. I'm not sure whether it's the washing powder I use - Tesco's 2 in 1 tablets, or the fact that I dry the nappies on an airer in front of the Rayburn. I don't have a tumble dryer, and this is the best way to do it. I can't line dry them outside at the moment what with all this rain we've had lately. Any suggestions?

FlameDelacour Fri 20-Jul-07 11:22:36

2 in 1 won't do them much good for absorbancy, and if you are using the full amount then you will have powder build up which will make them more stiff too.

CarGirl Fri 20-Jul-07 11:23:37

I've started using soap nuts and magnetic ball thingy (we have very hard water) and it is making a difference!

Dodaday Fri 20-Jul-07 11:25:17

Gosh, that was a quick response! Thank you. What do you suggest using instead? Perhaps a very hot wash with no detergent to make them soft again?

CarGirl Fri 20-Jul-07 11:27:56

do you have hard or soft water? But yes a 60 degree wash will strip the build up powder out of them plus a slug of white vinegar in the conditioner drawer if you have any. You will be amazed at how foamy the water is due to build up!

FlameDelacour Fri 20-Jul-07 11:28:39

Yup, doesn't have to be desperately hot, but def wash with no detergent (make sure there are no bubbles coming out), and a big splosh of white vinegar in the conditioner drawer

Dodaday Fri 20-Jul-07 11:31:23

Thanks both. I'll give it a go.

makesachange Fri 20-Jul-07 11:34:42

Or Bambinex Teddy nappies as an alternative which will never go hard and crispy even if dried by the Rayburn :-)

I know, you're a terry devotee, but it's an option!

("Other microfibre nappies are available")

CarGirl Fri 20-Jul-07 11:37:07

I suggested doing a 60 as your washing machine may be all clogged up with powder residue too which affects the rinsing - or do you regularly do hot washes?

I'm sure you can get bamboo terries from that nappy place in Wales - babeco?

FlameDelacour Fri 20-Jul-07 11:43:48

Teddies are looooooooooooooooooooooovely

I still find bamboo goes crunchy too

FlameDelacour Fri 20-Jul-07 11:44:05

Ah good point cargirl

flightattendant Fri 20-Jul-07 11:45:03

Ooh gatecrashing here, where do you get those nappies? Also what is the soap nuts and magnetic thingy? We have dead hard water
And where can you get white vinegar? I can only find spirit, malt or white wine

thanks

FlameDelacour Fri 20-Jul-07 11:47:56

Where do you get which nappies?

Distilled malt vinegar

Erm... can;t find the soapnuts link!

flightattendant Fri 20-Jul-07 11:48:50

thankyou flame, I meant the teddies?

FlameDelacour Fri 20-Jul-07 11:50:35

Ah, there are a few of us that are selling them

small business ads here

Dodaday Fri 20-Jul-07 11:51:16

Sorry, but am I being a bit thick here? As an afterthought, I will wash my "stiff" clean nappies again as suggested. Are you also suggesting washing future wet or dirty nappies without any detergent, but with a dash of white vinegar? Thanks.

FlameDelacour Fri 20-Jul-07 11:52:10

nooo, use about 1/4 of the recommended amount of detergent for future washes (pref with a splash of vinegar)

CarGirl Fri 20-Jul-07 13:53:23

you use soapnuts instead of detergent (they are a natural non-edible nut that make the water go soapy/soft) and because they stay in the whole time the water is still softened for rinsing, the magnetic ball thingy from an eco shop on line I think or possibly Lakeland or betterware or something, again they stay in the wash the whole time softens the water so it washes better with less detergent and soften the water for rinsing.

It is not a miracle solution but it def does make a difference.

I got 5 litres of white vinegar from a cash & carry type place (via friend) but I don't really use it anymore now I am using soapnuts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now