Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Am i right to start potty training now and if so how do it do it?

(10 Posts)
mosschops30 Wed 18-Jul-07 16:14:41

ds is 2.6 and has no idea about his toileting habits.
For the last few days the CM has been putting him in pants, which he quite happily pees in and carries on playing. He will sit on the potty no problem but doesnt see the need to wee on it.

I dont know if shes right to start him now or if we should wait

Flibbertyjibbet Wed 18-Jul-07 16:26:02

Did she start it without discussing with you first .
Our nursery told me they thought ds1 was ready the other month, discussed with me when to start, and at all time said that they only potty train a child if the parents are fully in agreement otherwise there is no point.
He was just 2.6 and plenty of his friends same age are still in nappies.
I think you should wait till he is ready.

Desiderata Wed 18-Jul-07 16:29:38

Mine's 2.8 (boys can be later with potty training). This week I have made a concerted effort, and progress is now being made. I've ditched day-time nappies, and he is pulling his pants down to do a wee (no poos, just yet).

The general consensus is to try pants for a week. If there is no progress, leave it for a month and try again.

There's no harm in waiting a bit longer. He'll get it eventually.

mosschops30 Wed 18-Jul-07 16:33:36

ok so after a wee and poo disaster out the garden just now, and the fact that he hasnt wee'd on the potty at all yet should I leave it another month.

And yes she pretty much started without me, I know shes got a thing about it, because she keeps saying things like 'the little boy I'm having in september is younger and is in pants', however she does acknowledge that ds's talking and his colours and stuff are much better to the boy in pants

mosschops30 Wed 18-Jul-07 17:58:25

bump i know its a boring subject (i always ignore the potty training threads) but some advice would be greatly appreciated

toffeecat Wed 18-Jul-07 23:13:16

My little boy is three just turned) The best advice really is don't rush it.

They let you know when they are ready (even though its such a pain in the proverbial arse changing a 3ft 5" 3 stone boys nappies).

He was playing out in the garden a couple of weeks ago (when we had a glimpse of sun) and he took his clothes off to paddle in the paddling pool so I brought the potty down and left it in the garden (I didn,t make a big deal about it at all) I checked on him a minute later and he was sat on the potty. I was gobsmacked. Up until this point he had REFUSED point blank to even look at a potty.

It took three days to potty train him. I can count the number of accidents on one hand. HE WAS READY!

I think people pressure you way too much with sly digs & comments even if they don't fully mean them..."my children were potty trained by 18 months"...etc..yes but maybe since then they have had 5 'accidents' a week and their self esteem is naff.

Hope this 'war and peace' comment helps!

mosschops30 Fri 20-Jul-07 18:22:27

thank you toffeecat thats very encouraging have decided to leave it for a few weeks as I am then off for 5 weeks and will try again with more time and patience

NAB3 Fri 20-Jul-07 18:23:37

I think you need to remind your CM who the mother is!!

NAB3 Fri 20-Jul-07 18:24:03

All kids are different. How does it help to say things like that? That has really annoyed me.

lissie Fri 20-Jul-07 18:26:36

im shocked that she just did it! agree with NAB3. he doesnt sound ready tbh. i bought a fab book tho for when you are ready, its called Potty Time training pack and you can get it from mothercare or amazon. it comes with a magnetic reward chart too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now