Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Have I done it all wrong??? : ( EC HELP

(12 Posts)
AnaKi Wed 18-Jul-07 10:37:00

My LO is almost 6mo. We started when she was 4mo. I didn't think it was late so we gave it a try! I really enjoyed trying to learn my DD signs but, boy it's hard!
I was able to catch some #2 only because she would let some air out first and then we would quickly go to the toilet.
But #1s ffffff! In all this time I think I only caught 3 and TBO I think by accident only. As soon as she wakes up we go to the toilet but when I take the nappy out it's warm, so.... she is quicker than me, plus... its heavy as if she would've done 3 #1s in her sleep
Has she already got used to wee while sleeping?
Any good tips?
Thanks!

Tiggerish Wed 18-Jul-07 10:38:43

try again in 2 years time

AnaKi Wed 18-Jul-07 10:51:01

I forgot to say I would like some pro ec mums advice.

CaraLondon Wed 18-Jul-07 11:15:30

bumped for you - I am going to try from birth - so am really interested in this thread.

pageturner Wed 18-Jul-07 11:16:51

<thick emoticon> what's EC?

NeverTickleASleepingSoupDragon Wed 18-Jul-07 11:22:41

Are you expecting her not to wee at night?? They need to be physically mature enough and producing the hormone which restricts urine production in order for them not to wee when asleep/overnight.

WigWamBam Wed 18-Jul-07 11:30:54

I think even EC fans put their babies in nappies overnight ...

WigWamBam Wed 18-Jul-07 11:48:35

A poster called BabiesEverywhere seems to be pretty much an expert on EC, might be worth trying to catch her sometime. She posted a link to her blog recently too which may interest you - here.

And there is a recent thread here.

AnaKi Wed 18-Jul-07 12:21:01

Hi, thanks eveyone that have posted so far.
CaraLondon, you'll do great, I think starting from 0mo is much better, we didn't know about this until later.
Pageturner, I'm sure you already referred to WigWamBam's links they explain what EC is (Thanks for that!!!)

My LO during the night has always done #1s, but not during the day naps. Now she does it all the time. I just wnated to hear of other mums in similar situations.

AnaKi Wed 18-Jul-07 12:36:02

We just caught another wee!!!

spacegrantham Thu 19-Jul-07 16:27:33

Anaki I think from your post you already realise she is going to wee during the night but you are hoping to catch them ?

i think it can only be done if you co-sleep do you ?

matress protector , wool blanket underneath her ?

hmm you should be able to get that first one and the first one when she wakes from a nap ? those were ds most reliable ones for me. Haven't tried in a while though been to tired in the morning to whip his nappy off.

join the ecuk group run by tracey who owns www.babyarmadillo.co.uk

you can ask your questions there, also lots of nappy free time and maybe use cloth nappies (prefolds ?) as one wet pants ?

HTH
Kim

BabiesEverywhere Sun 22-Jul-07 09:39:19

Anaki,

Give yourself a break and relax. It does not matter if you catch every wee/poo or not. The important part is that you try to communicate with your DD and limit her sitting in a soiled nappy as much as possible.

I found my DD at 6 months could only hold her wee for maybe 5 minutes max which meant we often 'just missed' one and as she got older she holds on longer and hence more catches.

There are several ways to go for night time ECing.

We use the laziest version. Backup cloth nappies, when she wakes I offer her the potty/toilet or nurse her and then offer the potty.

Some parents use a felted wool pad over the cot mattress with terries on top of that, topped with fleece, then normal cot bedding and if the baby misses they absorb the wet. But the way my DD moves at night I would be stripping the cot every day so we stick to cloth backups.

Co-sleeping helps a lot but is not essential. Our DD had to be moved to her own room at 6 months to stop us waking her up and she is often dry overnight and when wet, it is the warm 'just missed'wet and that is good enough for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now