Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

OKAY. I have had enough

(7 Posts)
NAB3 Tue 17-Jul-07 18:43:24

I want to get my 6 year old boy and almost 4 year old girl dry at night. Both have had some dry nights so they can do it. How can I help them along?

WigWamBam Tue 17-Jul-07 18:49:02

You can't. It's not really something you can teach or train; it happens when their bodies are ready and not before.

There's a hormone which kicks in to suppress urination overnight - anti-diuretic hormone - it can start being produced at any time between about 18 months and seven years. Until that happens, there's not a thing you can do to make them dry overnight.

NAB3 Tue 17-Jul-07 18:50:34

I knew that, , but I guess my thinking if they can do it some nights, why not others????

FirenzeandZooey Tue 17-Jul-07 18:53:47

If you know about the hormone, how do you think that you can 'help' them?

WigWamBam Tue 17-Jul-07 18:56:32

Frustrating, isn't it!

Dd is 6 as well, and nowhere near being ready - she had two dry nights last week for the first time ever, which raised our hopes a bit, but she's been wringing wet again every night since.

I'm working on the assumption that it can be a bit hit-and-miss when they first start being ready. It's certainly not something that they can control, which is what makes it hard to do anything to "make" it happen.

I have come to the conclusion that, for dd, all I can do is bide my time and wait until she gets there ... and hope that it's not going to take another six years!

KITTENSOCKS Tue 17-Jul-07 18:59:05

There are nasal sprays which can help with bedwetting, but you need to have child examined by the Dr and they won't give it to under 6 year olds, unless that's changed.

NAB3 Tue 17-Jul-07 19:18:59

WWB: DS1 has been like this or about a year. DD was dry in the day before 2 and now I have a 2 year old and I don't have a clue how to do day time training!!??!?!?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now