Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Recommended washing powders/laundry liquid for nappies

(19 Posts)
littlefrog Tue 17-Jul-07 17:46:08

Basically would just really like to know what people use, as we've just finished a big container of Bio-D laundry liquid and I need to get something else. It seemed to work ok, no sore skin, but the nappies always smell a bit odd coming out of the machine.
So - any special recommendations? Anything we should definitely avoid? (DS likely to be susceptible to eczema, though he's not got it yet...)

LizaRose Tue 17-Jul-07 17:50:09

I've just started using soapnuts, and they seem to work ok.

chevre Tue 17-Jul-07 17:51:25

ecover used to give dd nappy rash.

nappyzone Tue 17-Jul-07 19:08:32

i use persil non-bio

FlameDelacour Tue 17-Jul-07 19:24:50

I have changed to fairy non-bio liquid.

littlefrog Tue 17-Jul-07 21:02:00

OK, so not Ecover then! Anyone else have any views on 'good' options? (good both in terms of environment and cleaning power...)

kreamkrackers Tue 17-Jul-07 23:07:55

i've just switched from fairy liquid to ecover liquid and dd2 has nappy rash! i put it down to teething though. it's gone down loads because i've been keeping her nappy free a lot, will be changing back to fairy now.

TooTicky Tue 17-Jul-07 23:17:02

Try Clearspring - I prefer it to Bio-D. Doesn't dry skin at all.

worzella Tue 17-Jul-07 23:41:57

Fairy seems OK - especially at 60 degrees and sunlight. ecover was rubbish - nappies still smelt..

horsemadgal Wed 18-Jul-07 00:19:16

Mmmmmmm love the smell of Fairy.
I use soapnuts, Fairy, Surcare or Persil Non-Bio, whichever is on a deal at the time.

nearlythere Wed 18-Jul-07 10:43:05

washballs/ecoballs with a dash of vinegar and a few drops of lavender essential oil in the conditioner drawer.

thehairybabysmum Wed 18-Jul-07 11:03:08

Fairy powder, not loads...dash of napisan and white vinegar in the conditioner section

TheApprentice Wed 18-Jul-07 11:06:37

I use fairy liquid tabs for ds's nappies (maybe not v environmentally friendly?!), just one tab cleans all nappies v well at 60 degrees and they smell nice too.

makesachange Wed 18-Jul-07 15:34:57

I like Ecover myself, works well for me and mine, even with DS's eczema and psoriasis.

I suspect that reactions to it could possibly be to the fact that it isn't as cleansing as conventional liquids and you can get an ammonia build up, which I overcome by a) using vinegar in rinse water and b) using persil tabs once every 8-10 washes, or when I think the nappies don't come out smelling clean.

littlefrog Wed 18-Jul-07 21:30:46

Interesting! Lots of variety.
Nearlythere (or anyone else with experience) do the ecoballs really work on nappies?
When her DS got eczema my sister was advised to switch to BIO powder but seems to work for her...

TooTicky Thu 19-Jul-07 00:19:59

I found them not so good on nappies - didn't quite get rid of the smell. I think other people have found them fine though.

nearlythere Thu 19-Jul-07 09:38:40

i love my eco-balls, not sure about the smell though because i do add a capful of lavender zoflora disinfectant and a few drops of lavender essential oil once a month, and the weekly washes i use just lavender oil so they come out smelling fab!! But cleaning wise they really do work and dealt with ds2's disasterous nappy rash!

claireybee Thu 19-Jul-07 10:19:32

Nearlythere-do you use the zoflora in a nappy wash? At what stage do you put that in(wash or conditioner drawer)? Sorry just never heard of zoflora for washing before!

nearlythere Thu 19-Jul-07 10:42:33

i add it in the final rinse/conditioner drawer- i only use it once a month to disinfect the nappies as i don't soak and use eco-balls, it makes them smell lovely!One capful is enough though, any more and it would be overkill!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now