Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Fabric Conditioner and Nappy Wraps - Advice needed

(18 Posts)
Washersaurus Sun 15-Jul-07 21:10:15

My nature babies wraps have started to leak - not from around legs but actually through the fabric. They are all 2nd hand but seemed to be working OK until recently.

They occasionally get washed with DH's work shirts which are washed in fabric conditioner and I wondered if this might be the cause, or if it just something that eventually happens with these wraps?

Any ideas?

FlameDelacour Sun 15-Jul-07 21:46:35

Sounds like the PUL is breaking down - sometimes tumbling them can reseal it.

Washersaurus Sun 15-Jul-07 21:57:54

Thanks Flame, will give it a try. I don't usually tumble dry them at all. Do you think it could be the fabric conditioner that caused it?

mears Sun 15-Jul-07 21:59:37

I think fabric conditioner could be the culprit

FlameDelacour Sun 15-Jul-07 22:03:55

I'm not sure - I have fabric conditionered mine before and not had any problems.

mears Sun 15-Jul-07 22:06:17

It's like rthe fact fabric conditioner should not be used on towels because it makes them soo soft to dry you properly yet most people love soft towels.

Anything that needs to absorb/repel water should not be washed in fabric conditioner because it loses the water repelleant/absorbant properties.

Washersaurus Sun 15-Jul-07 22:10:47

This could be mad (stupid) logic; but if fabric softener stops fabric from absorbing water in nappies and towels, why wouldn't it do the same with the wraps?

I need scientific proof

mears Sun 15-Jul-07 22:15:38

wraps are repellent/nappies are absorbable

mears Sun 15-Jul-07 22:16:24

like wowels abosrb water - more so if conditioner not used.

Waterproof coats repel water - not so if conidioner used

kreamkrackers Sun 15-Jul-07 22:16:59

i wash all my wraps apart from wool ones with fabric conditioner as they go in with the main laundry.

kreamkrackers Sun 15-Jul-07 22:18:20

but my wraps have been really good, we don't get leaks.

mears Sun 15-Jul-07 22:20:13

this information might help

Ariela Sun 15-Jul-07 22:25:40

Could be one or two things, either they fit but are not a good fit - how near the top of the weight range is your little one? If chubby it could be outgrown before the upper weight limit reached and while it 'fits' isn't a good fit thus it leaks, maybe by the bulk of the nappy pulling it away at the legs.
Or are you adding boosters inside the nappy, and it's making the fat nappy pull the elstic away at the legs so the easiest wee escape route is down the leg & out onto the clothing = wet outside the wrap looks like wrap is leaking (cure stick the boosters between nappy & wrap rather than inside the nappy)
Or is it that being secondhand you have no idea of the history, they could have done 2 babies already and infact be a bit worn out? I'd not buy a secondhand wrap for a baby that is mobile purely for this reason, they get a lot more wear and tear.

I'm sure the fabric conditioner won't have anything to do with it.

Washersaurus Sun 15-Jul-07 22:34:11

Thanks mears, I have looked at that info before, but it is useful to have a re-read

It is probably too late for a couple of them, but I shall give the tumble drying a go and I will stop putting the wraps in with DH's shirts when I wash from now on as well (it is only him that likes the fabric conditioner anyway as it makes his shirts easier to iron )

Ariela - the wraps are definitely leaking through the fabric and not from the legs. I haven't changed my nappying habits recently anyway so no reason why it should suddenly start happening.

tutu100 Sun 15-Jul-07 22:55:49

I had a couple of wraps start leaking through the fabric. Tumble drying seemed to solve the problem with one of them (a motherease airflow) but not my onelife. Also it didn't revive my fuzzibunz that started to do the same thing. Still haven't worked out why they went like it in the first place as I'd bought them new for my son, but then I discovered I'd been washing higher than the reccomended tempreture, so I put it down to that.

Give them a tumble, you've got nothing to lose.

LizaRose Mon 16-Jul-07 10:05:47

I have seen nikwax recommended to reseal leaky wraps. You can buy it from Millets.

octo Tue 17-Jul-07 16:52:15

tutu - fuzzis can start to leak when they get a build up of washing powder/liquid in them - rinse them thru a couple of times in the mchaine with no stuff and that should sort them out.

tutu100 Wed 18-Jul-07 22:29:53

Thanks octo, I am rinsing other nappies to get rid of powder residue, so I'll chuck the fuzzi's in and see what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now