Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

when are they actually trained?

(23 Posts)
myjobismum Wed 11-Jul-07 21:29:05

hi there probably been threads about this before (have had a look but cant find!) just want to know at what point a child is actually classed as potty trained!

my DS is on day 8 of training and has been completely clean and dry (inc. naptime, but not night), havent been asking or reminding, he has taken the lead and asking, wearing "big boy" pants, and going out and about for the last three days - no accidents at all!

how much longer before he is finally potty trained?

myjobismum Wed 11-Jul-07 21:47:30

bumpy bump??

Othersideofthechannel Wed 11-Jul-07 21:48:49

I don't know whether there is a true definition but sounds like he is already to me! Congratulations to him!

myjobismum Wed 11-Jul-07 21:50:58

thanks otherside - my best friend said she reckoned he was but she is pregnant and all a bit excitable and gushy at the mo so wanted to know others honest opinions - after all this is a no opinioned witheld kinda place!!!

BirdyArms Wed 11-Jul-07 21:54:00

Sounds like he's absolutely definitely trained to me. What more could he do? I've been trying to kid myself that ds1 is trained - hasn't had accidents for the last 3 days but he's not asking very often and isn't dry for his naps.

dumbledoreisaliveitellyou Wed 11-Jul-07 21:55:00

erm, maybe at night as well?????

LIZS Wed 11-Jul-07 21:55:45

If he can do that reliably when out and about too then he is

Othersideofthechannel Wed 11-Jul-07 21:57:51

I don't agree about nighttime Dumbledore. Lots of older boys, like my DS who is 4+, still need nappies at night but they are no way not toilet trained, just waiting for that famous hormone to kick in!

myjobismum Wed 11-Jul-07 21:58:37

dumble - i dont want to do nights yet - i'm onloy refering to day training at the mo - concious awake training - night training is a completely different ball game!

thanks everyone - making me feel like i may be coming to an end of it all!!! (i know to still expect the odd accident)

fannyannie Wed 11-Jul-07 21:59:40

I'm with otherside on that one.....if what you say is correct dumble then my DS1 (who'll be 7 in september) isn't yet trained .

myjobismum Wed 11-Jul-07 22:00:37

glad you all agree on the night thing - was beginning to think i had made a terrible mistake thinking that he was nearly there then (or there as you have all said )

FrayedKnot Wed 11-Jul-07 22:02:11

It took DS about 2 months to get to that point, so yes, I would say he is!

DS was good at holding but needed to be reminded to go / taken when out for quite a while..he just wasn;t asking / telling (probably too young in hindsight, but we got there).

Hulababy Wed 11-Jul-07 22:02:37

Nighttime entirely separate issue and more often than not completely unrelated to day time training. DD was 24 months when potty trained during the day, almost 5 when consistently dry during the night (after weh highlighted some key triggers and were able to eliminate them).

To be being PTd means the child can take themselves off on their own, without constant reminders, do what they need to do and be consistently dry/clean each day, even if there are distractions such as going out and about. Once they have done this for a few days without accidents I'd say they are probably sorted.

There may be the odd relapse at times of unsettlement or stressful times, but these will be few ad far between, if at all.

myjobismum Wed 11-Jul-07 22:02:54

LIZS - yes he has no probs when out - have been out 4 time in the last 3 days with no accidents and asked for a wee when he needed one when in the car, buggy, or being carried! (also no prob when at others houses), and only had 1 accident last saturday when he was with a babysitter whilst i worked a 10hr split shift!

dumbledoreisaliveitellyou Wed 11-Jul-07 22:06:54

<<ducks>>> it was just a guess sorry

myjobismum Wed 11-Jul-07 22:11:01

dumble -hey thats ok - no offence was taken - but DS is far to young for night training yet - will let him take the lead on that one i think!

myjobismum Wed 11-Jul-07 22:12:25

i am feeling happy and relieved at the moment after what you have all said - PT'ing was a big important thing for us, not for development for health - GP said get him out of nappies or have him circumcised!!!!! but it seems he had the same idea and was asking for wee's from the onset!!!

myjobismum Wed 11-Jul-07 22:13:26

thanks for the flowers Dumble

dumbledoreisaliveitellyou Wed 11-Jul-07 22:16:53

why did gp say that?

myjobismum Wed 11-Jul-07 22:20:09

oh long ongoing story, but he has a wierd foreskin (not tight, just a bit thick on one side) that has been chaffing on his nappies - both cloth and disposable - was really sore and in a complete mess!! poor thing

however now he is in pants all day (and dry ones at that) it is nearly completely back to normal (after only a week) after months of hell!

[wipes forehead in a releive phew kind of way}

dumbledoreisaliveitellyou Wed 11-Jul-07 22:21:03

<<<hands myjob a tissue to wipe forehead!>>>

myjobismum Wed 11-Jul-07 22:22:47

ta dumble

myjobismum Thu 12-Jul-07 20:10:05

yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - another clean and dry day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now