Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Bimbles vs Bumbles? Sized vs birth-to-potty?

(17 Posts)
MrsBadger Wed 11-Jul-07 12:29:29

OK, so for my first foray into cloth I've been offered some deals by a local nappy co I'd like to support.

Their 'package' options seem to be
1. three sizes of Bimbles
2. birth-to-potty Bimbles (cheaper)
3. birth-to-potty Bumbles (even cheaper)
(all with two wraps of each size, mesh, bucket etc)

What's my best option? There's not really a lot to choose between them on cost, but I worry firstly that BTPs will be colossal on a newborn and, conversely, that if the Cub turns out large I'll only get three weeks' use out of the size 0 Bimbles...

Any other pluses / minuses I haven't spotted?

Washersaurus Wed 11-Jul-07 12:57:14

I love my size 0 bimbles and wouldn't have been without them for the first few weeks with DS and am planning on using them again for new LO when he/she arrives.

I found that the Bumbles looked HUGE on my DS even as he got bigger, but some people love them!

However, I'm not sure what the differences between the BTP bimbles and BTP bumbles are - I find the Easy Peasy range very confusing these days......

IME different nappies have suited DS at different times, so maybe it is best not to put all your eggs in one basket by buying a big set of BTP nappies???

Sorry if I haven't been much help.

MrsBadger Wed 11-Jul-07 13:47:15

no, that's actually v helpful Washersaurus

Means I can happily buy the 'size 0 bimbles pack' for £80 or whatever it is and nothing else, then see how fast the Cub grows etc and make a decision about size 1 Bimbles vs BTP Bimbles vs Bumbles later on.

Will 10 nappies + two wraps do to start with?

Washersaurus Wed 11-Jul-07 14:01:23

£80!!! <<cough cough>> Blimey, is that how much new nappies cost?

What type of wraps do you get in the pack?

I bought all mine 2nd hand from nappy lady classifieds for about £3/4 each - Size 0's don't get that much use so 2nd hand ones are usually in 'as new' condition anyway.

I have a mix of the bimbles and size 1 nippa tots bots (which can be used with front folded down on small babies). That combination worked well with DS as the bimbles were perfect for newborn, and the size 1 tots bots fitted for that little bit longer.

Quantity required depends on how often you like to wash . I have about 20 nappies altogether, but am a self-confessed nappy addict .

In my defence I buy almost all of my nappies and wraps 2nd hand

Washersaurus Wed 11-Jul-07 14:02:12

I think you may like a couple more wraps too - just in case!

MrsBadger Wed 11-Jul-07 14:12:07

tbh compared to disposables it's all ridiculously cheap and that's inc bucket, mesh, 2 bags etc.
And for a lazy first-timer it's easier to buy a package (and as they're local I'd go and fetch them so no delivery) than trawl through ads buying two or three here and there... I will look though!

The wraps are popper Ventos which as far as I can tell are indistinguishable from popper Mothereases.
I'd most likely be washing every day and tumbling if it's too wet to hang outside.

Washersaurus Wed 11-Jul-07 14:52:50

Actually, it doesn't sound like a bad deal at all to get started with....until the nappy addiction sets in that is!

I have seen whole sets for sale 2nd hand btw, so no trawling required

I would think 10 nappies would be enough - I only wash nappies every 3 days so have a few more in my collection for that reason. The wraps catch those early poo explosions so I liked to have to have a few available, although worst case scenario they could be wiped/rinsed between washes I suppose.

MrsBadger Fri 13-Jul-07 15:03:15

I've been sucked in, Washersaurus

Was cruising the NappyLady boards, had just bought three small Airflows for £13 and was congratulating myself on my restraint when I saw an ad for 10 Bimbles, 5 TotsBots, three medium wraps and a bunch of other stuff, so have probably already bought more than I needed...

[bangs head on desk]

lucky I'm going for the cheap highchair, eh?

Washersaurus Fri 13-Jul-07 16:38:47

But think of the money you will have saved by buying 2nd hand (and it is recycling too). And I bet your heart melts when you see those teeny tiny nappies .

I think you deserve a pat on the back for your good work...LOL

MrsBadger Fri 13-Jul-07 16:46:42

oh, my heart melted way back when one of the EasyPeasy ladies came to our NCT class with a size 0 Bimble - I was sold immediately!

FlameDelacour Fri 13-Jul-07 16:48:56

Just to complicate things... you are better off with rikki than airflow on a newborn - they fit better round scrawny legs

MrsBadger Fri 13-Jul-07 16:50:56

[fingers in ears]
la la la I'm not listening

and the Cub is going to be strapping if scans and sizes of parents are anything to go by...

Washersaurus Fri 13-Jul-07 20:52:53

Flame does have a good point there MrsB. I definitely preferred rikki's when DS was smaller; we only moved onto Airflows when he reached the medium size.

CarGirl Fri 13-Jul-07 20:57:42

I had original nippa bumbles, they were fab I used them from (but they were 9lbers) but I also tumbled them and it killed them!!!! The tumble drier makes terry cotton go bald quite quickly especially shaped nappies as it has edges that wear quickest rather than flat terry nappies IYSWIM

Washersaurus Fri 13-Jul-07 21:05:41

My tumble drier must be very kind Cargirl as I have never suffered with that problem and some of my nappies must be on their 3rd child.

Washersaurus Fri 13-Jul-07 21:05:42

My tumble drier must be very kind Cargirl as I have never suffered with that problem and some of my nappies must be on their 3rd child.

CarGirl Fri 13-Jul-07 21:07:25

it was only the bumbles that suffered I have no idea why!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now