Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Loads of cloth nappies to use second time, but they are like concrete!!

(13 Posts)
SurferRosa Mon 09-Jul-07 14:50:23

How can I soften them up for my new poor little boy who has such delicate skin?!!!

They are seriously hard...

Pixiefish Mon 09-Jul-07 14:50:53

a drop of fabric conditioner- and I mean a drop- won't harm them occasionally

WaynettaSlob Mon 09-Jul-07 14:51:39

Wash them and then tumble dry. Or put some vinegar in the wash (these both work for towels, so I'm assuming the same is true, but of course I could be talking rubbish!!!)

SurferRosa Mon 09-Jul-07 14:52:17

Thanks Pixie, have tried it when getting ready for baby but they are still quite bad

SurferRosa Mon 09-Jul-07 14:53:32

Thanks WS. Vinegar? In the conditioner drawer do you mean?

Have got some white wine vinegar.

Somewhere I heard Borax is good, but I have no idea what it is or if you can still get it?

fingerwoman Mon 09-Jul-07 14:53:54

tumble drying should work. and the vinegar tip.

WaynettaSlob Mon 09-Jul-07 14:54:23

Vinegar in the conditioner drawer - don't know whether it should be white wine vinegar or Sarson's best though!

SurferRosa Mon 09-Jul-07 14:55:27

He he...guacamole or mushy peas, anyone?

NannyL Mon 09-Jul-07 15:13:32

rain water is good

leave them out on the line in the rain

Pixiefish Mon 09-Jul-07 15:36:53

vinegar. Beat them against a wall (seriously)
wash with no powder to get the powder build up out

mistlethrush Mon 09-Jul-07 15:38:56

Shake them out hard when they are still wet (ie spun but not dried) - found prefolds did this a bit, but towelling based (eg squares and Tots Bots) didn't.

Hope you get it sorted!

Mumfun Tue 10-Jul-07 18:46:29

saw on another site recommendation that you soak in half vinegar/half water for a while and then wash. Apparently restores them very well!

SAHMof1 Wed 11-Jul-07 15:09:45

I second leaving them out in the rain for a while (it’s the acid, would you believe, in our acid rain, same as in vinegar that helps soften them) then soak in white vinegar before a wash, and also put vinegar in the final rinse. Then fully tumble dry them, bit put a dry towel in to help them dry quicker and to help fluff them up. I know it’s not very nappy friendly or eco. friendly, but if you tumble them for a few times in a row too they will get softer.

Or rub them together when dry, like you’re hand-washing them, although without the water and soap!!

Let me know if that helps and how you manage it in the end.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: