Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Poo makes ds's bum really really sore immediatley after he's been

(15 Posts)
insywinsyspider Sun 08-Jul-07 21:38:23

ds is 13 months and I've been putting him on a potty since he was 10 months to get him used to it and also help me out with the washing! he's great, doesn't ask to use it but always does a wee on it and can guarentee a poo first thing in the morning. He started with childminder a couple of months ago and she was quite happy to use potty but I don't think she does or if she does she has more 'misses' than me (one pooey nappy a day) which is completely understandably. The problem is if ds goes in nappy he immediately gets a really sore red bum that will bleed when you wipe it - with some sudocream it will be fine by the next morning, but he crys till its changed. Any ideas what it could be that makes his poo so acidic?? He has a wide and varietied diet so no idea where to start!.... roll on potty training!

CarGirl Sun 08-Jul-07 21:40:35

it could just be from teething, could you try him on teething powders nelsons/teetha/ashtons & parsons they do some to help neutralise it?

DoubleBluff Sun 08-Jul-07 21:42:02

DS's always had really acid poo when teething.

insywinsyspider Sun 08-Jul-07 21:58:53

he is teething at the moment.... god I can be thick sometimes!

I thought you should only use powders if they had pain tho? his mouth doesn't seem to bother him but I can see two back teeth pushing thro

CarGirl Sun 08-Jul-07 22:00:38

the powders are very gentle etc some of the discomfort from teething is the acidic tummy and poo issue so I would def try - mine have really suffered with smelly wee and horrific poo when teething and the powders really help.

NannyL Mon 09-Jul-07 09:09:30

make sure there is a good barrier cream on BEFORE he does a poo.

DoubleBluff Mon 09-Jul-07 20:37:37

Used to plaster their bums in vaseline.

youpeskykids Mon 09-Jul-07 20:50:35

ashton powders are GREAT. DS1 used to get 'exploding bum syndrome' as me and DH used to call it. And it stunk of vinegar... That used to really make his bum sore!

Whilst it is quite messy, I have to say, I've found that Metatanium is one of the best nappy rash creams around. Could try that?

insywinsyspider Mon 09-Jul-07 21:18:06

he's had ashton and parsons powder today and cried his heart out when I put sudo cream on his bum after bath tonight does it take a while to work?? his bum is back to normal by the morning and we're all coating him in sudo it just doesn't seem to be enough of a barrier - will try vasaline next,

youpeskykids - what is metatanium? and where do you get it from?

never had poo like this before whilst he was teething - these are teeth 9 and 10

nomdeplume Mon 09-Jul-07 21:19:29

metanium is a nappy/bum cream. You'd find it with the sudocrem etc in suprmarkets/boots etc. In a yellow tube. Brilliant stuff

youpeskykids Mon 09-Jul-07 21:21:46

Thanks nomdeplume - was convinced that the spelling didn't look right, and glad someone else thinks it's great stuff!

cheechymunchy Mon 09-Jul-07 21:22:47

Metanium, metanium, rah rah raaaah! My DS bleeds almost instantly after a poo when teething. I watch him like a hawk but even I'm not quick enough before the "burn" sets in. I was in utter despair (Sudocrem, Vaseline etc etc). Metanium saved me, and his skin. It's very thick so only need a small bit, but it works immediately.

DoubleBluff Mon 09-Jul-07 23:21:43

Ah yess metanium couldn' remember the na,e/ Life saver!

insywinsyspider Wed 11-Jul-07 20:41:53

are those creams ok with reusable nappies? he has flusable liners but the sud gets thro sometimes and needs an extra wash to get rid of it....

was wrong about childminder she does put him on potty - she was well chuffed with self today as she had her first poo on it was lovely to see how pleased she was, his bum was lovely at the end of today as well so guess that really helped, at least it gives his skin a break!

Thanks for all your advice guys

BabiesEverywhere Thu 12-Jul-07 12:09:29

We had a similar problem with our then newborn daughter...we (like you)started using a potty and found that helped her bum clear up and we have plenty of nappy free time at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now