Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

wool wraps

(19 Posts)
nappyzone Thu 05-Jul-07 11:58:07

I am looking to stock wool wraps - everyone seems to rant about them these days! i only like to stock the best but cheapness is also a good thing for me! has anyone tried couche covers?

moljam Thu 05-Jul-07 11:59:01

not tried those but imo you cant beat disana!cheap but very very realiable.

Flamesparrow Thu 05-Jul-07 12:04:25

Disana are about the cheapest.

Couche covers are fine for during the day, but less good for night use (which is when most people use them).

The thing with wool is the work that goes into making them as well as the price of the pure wool. A great pair of handknitted longies will cost about £30 - and that is still with the knitter earning next to nothing as an hourly rate.

nappyzone Thu 05-Jul-07 12:30:20

looked at disana - they actually have legs in!!! the couche ones were more like a regular aplix wrap

derah Thu 05-Jul-07 12:39:11

Another vote for Disana here. Lovely and cheap and work a treat. Other wool pants/wraps are far too expensive for me. Luckily my gran has knitted dd some longies and shorties but they're all too thin for night-time. Disana to the rescue!!

Flamesparrow Thu 05-Jul-07 12:44:29

Yup, the couche ones do look more normal

hippopowell Thu 05-Jul-07 12:49:14

Hi,
I have 2 couche covers and love them. I even use them for night and have had no problems. I really like that they are recycled wool, looks like blankets to me or maybe not, but I really like them. The lovely lady will even do embroidery or crochet on them!!I like that they give a neat fit, great for day as well under dresses. Also love Bumpy wool wraps,but are a bit pricey, haven't tried Disana.

nappyzone Thu 05-Jul-07 14:09:18

hippowell - thanks for that - you love the lady alot - are you her? ha ha - no seriously yes i saw them in the flesh yesterday and was amaxed how tin they were as i imagined some argyle wool jumper jobby, getting a sample to try anyway - disana look a bit odd but im not a wooly so maybe im misled by the style thing.

nappyzone Thu 05-Jul-07 14:14:01

how about baby behinds anyone?

Flamesparrow Thu 05-Jul-07 18:03:49

Not tried them, but the imse vimse bumpy one looks nice

spacegrantham Fri 06-Jul-07 01:15:34

Sorry but my disana were the worst for felting and shrinking due to heat changes when washing and lanolising. Okay so I could have looked after them better but this isn't the first time I have heard about disana being quick to felt if you just get it slightly wrong.

Kim

Flamesparrow Fri 06-Jul-07 08:18:00

My only disana was a secondhand one so I assumed they just came felted etc

hippopowell Fri 06-Jul-07 08:30:15

imse vimse bumpy is fab. It has 2 layers of felted wool in the middle where it counts for extra protection. I have never had any problems with these.Nice trim fit as well. Bung them in the machine, then to soak, easy. But for something pretty how can you say no to a soft pink wool with embroidered daisy on the bum. (couche cover) Tried to show & gush to my non-cloth enlightened friends. They just looked at me strangly & quickly changed the topic!!!

Flamesparrow Fri 06-Jul-07 08:38:11

I found the velcro too stiff on the couche and it rubbed him But I am the only person I know of to have had that problem, so I put it down to being more my velcro issues

hippopowell Fri 06-Jul-07 08:42:46

What a shame flame. Have you tried the bumpy, the velcro is a bit softer on that one. I promise I don't work for either of these companies, just loooooove wool wraps. My mum even knitted some stripy tousers & shorts for DD. I think they look gorgeous, but DH thinks if she goes out in public she will be a laughing stock!!

nappyzone Fri 06-Jul-07 09:27:04

lol hippowell - you just sound like a passionats clothy! looking more into the couche again but the whole lanolising thing sounds a bit high maintenance and trying to get people into it is hard when your trying to convince low maintenance if you see what i mean. I will have to try myself as i am the worst domestic goddess so it will be a good test! thanks for all your help and yes the bumpy ones do look lush.

kreamkrackers Fri 06-Jul-07 10:06:26

i love the look of the skirt wool wrap on the babykind website, but it's too pricey for me

hippopowell Fri 06-Jul-07 10:24:37

How lovely is that skirt. You're right, it is a bit pricy. There are websites with patterns for knitted soakers/shorts etc. I'm sure I've seen a skirt pattern there. Maybe I'll have to get my mum knitting again.

Flamesparrow Fri 06-Jul-07 11:36:50

They are pricey, but they are all handmade, hence the price.

The lanolising really takes 5 mins every month or so.

Not tried a bumpy - he takes off velcro now anyway (got the couche when he was teeny) - I have oodles of wool

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now